100% Whole Grain Pizza

Need something to make tonight? Make this. It’s quick and easy to put together and fun for the kids. They don’t have to know that it’s whole grain.

Pizza doesn’t have to have such a bad reputation. This dough has 25.8 grams of protein and 22.6 grams of fiber. Eat half the pizza and that’s a lot of protein and fiber. Load it with homemade sauce, a little cheese, and lots of vegetables. That sounds healthy to me.

I started with Smitten Kitchen’s pizza recipe, as written. It was great. Then I started off with a little whole wheat flour and kept adding more every time I made it. Finally, I just started using 100% whole wheat or whole spelt and now I prefer it that way and think that normal refined flour pizza is nothing special. Still, unless you’re used to whole wheat, I’d start off with 1/3 whole wheat and work your way up from there.

I think that the pizza stone makes a huge difference. I made this on a pizza pan for a few months and it was fine, but on the stone, it’s just out of this world. When we visited Texas last time, Mr. Texanerin had to carry back my beloved pizza stone in his carry-on. We’re serious about pizza. This is, on a stone, hands down my favorite pizza. Ever. It’s just so crisp and perfect.

We have this every Monday. Mr. Texanerin makes the dough, I design the pizza, and then we sit in bed and watch Sunday night television. It makes Mondays so much better.

Ingredients:

6 tablespoons (90ml) warm water
2 tablespoons (30ml) white wine (or water)
3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon honey (I sometimes leave this out)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) whole spelt, whole wheat pastry, or whole wheat flour
cornmeal

Directions:

1. In a medium bowl whisk together the wine, water and yeast until the yeast dissolves. Add the honey, salt, olive oil, and Italian seasoning and stir. Add the flour and mix together until it forms a ball. You might have to use your hands towards the end.

2. Cover the bowl and let it rise for 1 – 2 hours. The dough should double. If I’m in a hurry, I turn the oven on to the lowest setting for 2 – 3 minutes and let the dough rise in there. After the 1 – 2 hours, punch down the dough and keep it covered.

3. Put your pizza stone in the oven and then preheat your oven to its highest temperature. If you normally put cornmeal on the stone, go ahead and do that but I’ve never needed it. If you want to use a normal pizza pan or a cookie sheet, sprinkle it with cornmeal.

4. I roll my pizza out on a Silpat. If you prefer a floured counter, go ahead and do that. How thin you roll it out is up to you. My pizza is usually around 11″ x 13″.

5. I don’t have a pizza paddle. I sprinkle a cookie sheet with plenty of cornmeal and put my rolled out pizza crust on that. If you do have a pizza paddle, do the same.

6. Design your pizza however you like. Slide the pizza from the paddle or cookie sheet onto your preheated pizza stone, or put the baking sheet in the oven as is. It took me several times to learn how to properly get the pizza on the stone, but it’s not so bad after the first few attempts.

7. It only takes 5 minutes to bake this in my oven, with the fan on. It should be nice and crisp. If you use a cookie sheet or pizza pan, it’ll take a little longer, about 10 minutes.

Yield: Enough for two adults

12 comments on “100% Whole Grain Pizza” — Add one!

• KYNDRA says
    February 7, 2014 @ 2:40 am

What temperature should I heat the oven up to, and for how long? would love to know and try this recipe! i have tried too many pizza dough recipes

• Erin replies to KYNDRA
      February 7, 2014 @ 12:10 pm

I hope you’ll like this one! And check out step 3. ;) Whatever you highest oven temperature is, go with that! Most ovens go up to 450 or 500 or sometimes 550. Those are all okay! And since every oven is different, I can’t really say that how that’ll take. But if you mean how long to bake the pizza for, check out the last step. :) I hope that helps!

June 6, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

I imagine it'd work but I've never tried! Good luck with it if you do try. It's still my favorite! :)

• karen says
    June 6, 2012 @ 7:45 am

This looks fantastic and so much simpler than some of the other recipes I have seen.

Do you know if the yeast for pizza dough would work? It's an instant yeast that doesn't require rise time. Just because I tend to be a last minute kind of girl.

Thanks!

February 25, 2012 @ 8:24 am

Lise – That sounds like a good idea. I started off with all all-purpose flour and it took us a while to get to all whole spelt, but that's how I prefer it now. I think white flour pizza tastes boring (except for deep dish, I love all-purpose flour deep dish!). I'm so happy you gave this pizza a try! Thanks for the feedback and have a great weekend. :)

• Lise says
    February 25, 2012 @ 1:24 am

I tried this tonight with our new pizza stone and we really liked it! It crisped up wonderfully and really did cook in five minutes! I love that it's the perfect size for one pizza. I used the 1/3:2/3 whole wheat to all-purpose flour and will try increasing the percentage over time. Thanks for the recipe!

October 18, 2011 @ 10:00 am

Woohoo! Another whole grains stickler. :) It's the best whole grain pizza I could find after two years of searching!

• Cookie and Kate says
    October 18, 2011 @ 12:40 am

I just found your blog and love that you're using 100% whole grains in your baking recipes! I'm a stickler for whole grains, too. I've been hunting for the perfect whole wheat pizza crust. I'll have to give this one a try!

October 11, 2011 @ 8:47 pm

I tried so many whole grain pizza recipes before this one but we didn't like them so much. We love this one, though! But remember to start off with 1/3 whole wheat if you're not used to it. Let me know how it turns out and good luck. :)

• foodie @ Tasting Spot says
    October 11, 2011 @ 8:39 pm

I tried making a wheat dough pizza over the weekend and didn't turn out as tasty as i was expecting… i will give urs a shot… am trying to find the perfect recipe :)

October 8, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

I don't think it makes the dough taste like wine. I think it just helps a little. A good idea would be to keep adding more and more wine and less water to see what it does to the taste. I'll start with that this Monday! Thanks for the idea. :)

October 8, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

I love whole wheat pizza.

Nice addition with the white wine, can you really taste it in the dough or pizza? I have never heard of that before. I love white wine so next time I make pizza which is once a week I will put it in the dough. I will let you know how that goes!! I am excited…..