100% Whole Grain Pumpkin Cupcakes
Recipe by Texanerin Baking
Yields: 10 cupcakes
Prep Time: 10 min • Cook Time: 20 min • Total Time: 30 min
A healthified, super moist and quick version of Ina Garten’s pumpkin cupcakes recipe.
- 1 cup (130 grams) whole spelt, whole wheat pastry, or whole wheat
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (8 ounces – 225 grams)
- 1 cup (200 grams) unrefined or brown sugar*
- 1/2 cup (120ml) olive oil - I used extra-virgin
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick – 113 grams) butter, softened
- 12 ounces (340 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract - optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (you can use more or less) - also optional
- 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 175°C. Prepare 10 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- In a larger bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin puree, sugar, and olive oil.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir just until combined.
- Divide the batter among the tins and bake for about 20 – 24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For the frosting, beat the butter and cream cheese until soft and smooth. Add the salt, vanilla, maple extract and cinnamon. Add in the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Beat until fluffy. Mine was pipable right away, but if yours isn’t, put it in the refrigerator until it’s to the piping consistency you like.