100% Whole Grain Cranberry Apple Crisp

Getting ready for Thanksgiving was crazy. There is no Thanksgiving in Germany, so I worked long hours all week and then we had Thanksgiving on Saturday. Today was really the first chance I got a moment to myself so please excuse the week long gap since the last post.

I wanted to post this in time for Thanksgiving but this plan was a total failure. So here it is now. It’s just a little sweet and a little tart. I didn’t use Granny Smith or some other tart apple because the cranberries are already tart enough and I didn’t want to add tons of sugar. This is the third and final cranberry recipe I’ll be posting this year, so please bear with me if you’re overwhelmed with the cranberry recipes. They’re stopping now. :)

I have to be honest and say that the topping isn’t super crunchy like your typical apple crisp topping. But I think it’s an acceptable trade-off because there’s not a cup of sugar and butter in it. And you know that you’re just going to mix it all up anyway, so it’s all good.

Ingredients:

Filling:
4 cups (475 grams) non-tart apples, peeled and chopped
1 3/4 cup (200 grams) fresh or frozen cranberries
1/4 cup (80 grams) honey
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Topping:
3 tablespoons (60 grams) honey
1/4 cup (60ml) canola oil
1 cup (80 grams) oats
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350°F / 175°C. Combine the filling ingredients and spread it over the bottom of an ungreased 8″ x 8″ pan. Or use whatever size and shape you want as long as the area is about the same. In a different bowl, mix together the topping ingredients. Spoon it over the fruit. Bake for about 35 – 40 minutes. The top should be slightly browned and the fruit should bubble when it’s ready. When it comes out of the oven, the topping won’t be crispy, but as it cools it’ll get crispier (although not super crispy).

8 comments on “100% Whole Grain Cranberry Apple Crisp” — Add one!

• Erin R says
    November 7, 2014 @ 5:40 am

Hi Erin, would it be just as good if I just used regular white flour? And how many servings do you get out of this? I’m wondering if I should double the recipe for Thanksgiving, we’re going to have around 20 people.

• Erin replies to Erin R
      November 7, 2014 @ 8:51 pm

Hi, Erin! I’d say it yields about 8-10 servings. Doubling it for a 9×13 pan for 20 should be fine (assuming that there will be other desserts and people aren’t going to take a huge portion). I haven’t tried it with all-purpose flour but I’m assuming it’d work (though I can’t guarantee it). I hope you’ll enjoy it if you try it! :)

• Iamonewithmuchope says
    December 2, 2011 @ 3:37 am

Oh yum! I have 2 bags of cranberries in my freezer. This is perfect. I'm printing it right now!! :)

Come check out my blog if you get a spare moment. I have a giveaway going on…http://munchtalk.blogspot.com/

• Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living says
    December 1, 2011 @ 10:17 pm

This sounds beyond fantastic! Definitely my kind of dessert… or breakfast ;).

December 1, 2011 @ 9:07 pm

warmvanillasugar – For me it's usually kind of boring but I think the cranberries make it so much better!

Cookie and Kate – Thanks! I'm happy someone is still into baking with cranberries. I thought perhaps I had been too late with it being after Thanksgiving and all.

Nicole – Thanks a bunch! You should definitely get your hands on some cranberries before they're gone and bake something with them. It's a nice change. :)

• Nicole says
    December 1, 2011 @ 5:09 am

I haven't recently eaten cranberries in desserts, so I'm not overwhelmed in the least… I would love some, though! Beautiful dessert and photos!

• Cookie and Kate says
    December 1, 2011 @ 4:25 am

I am SO INTO baking with cranberries right now! So tart and sweet and delicious. Your crisp looks incredible!

• warmvanillasugar says
    November 30, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

Apple crisp is one of my favorite desserts of all time! Love how you added cranberry in this recipe and made it whole grain!