Raspberry Chocolate Avocado Pudding (vegan)

Here’s another chocolatey treat that you can enjoy on Valentine’s Day or any other day. I had never had an avocado before I tried this pudding. Before I threw everything in the food processor, I tried some plain avocado and was pretty unsure about whether or not this would come out. Luckily, it turned out to be amazing!

The original recipe from Nora at Natural Noshing uses bananas. Although we loved it, I’m allergic to bananas so I wanted to try a different version. Raspberries sounded good!

Yup, they’re the same sprinkles as in the post below. I wasn’t feeling very creative.

When I was eating the first few bites, I thought that I could take it or leave it, but the more I ate, the more I liked it and the more “normal” it tasted. The texture is just as good or even better than traditional pudding. Not at all funky. You can tell the difference between this pudding and normal chocolate pudding, but I don’t miss all the sugar and cream in the traditional stuff. There’s going to be avocado pudding from now on in our home!

There are some raspberry seeds in here but it’s really not bad. And although I was hoping the raspberry flavor would be really strong, it’s not. I think I’ll add even more raspberries next time! My description doesn’t sound very convincing, I know, but I don’t want people to try this thinking it’ll be exactly like normal chocolate pudding. It’s fantastic, though. Really.

Everyone have a great Valentine’s Day or Tuesday if you don’t celebrate!

Directions:
  • 2 avocados (just the flesh)
  • 6 tablespoons cocoa powder*
  • 1/3 cup (79ml) unsweetened vanilla almond milk or normal milk, optional (leave it out if you want it really thick! That’s what I did.)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 300 grams frozen raspberries (I haven’t tried this with fresh so I don’t know if that’ll work)
  • stevia / coconut sugar / unrefined sugar / white sugar **
* I used Dutch process cocoa powder so I don’t know how this would come out with natural cocoa powder (like Hershey’s).

** With Stevia, I used about 10 drops but I’d start off with less. With coconut sugar, I used 1/4 cup but I like things on the sweet side! And it’ll depend on your raspberries. I imagine you’d use about the same amount of white sugar but start off with two tablespoons to be safe. Update: I’ve made this tons of times and the amount of sugar I use each time varies. I’ve used up to 1/2 cup sugar and as little as 3 tablespoons. I guess it depends on the sweetness of the avocados and raspberries.

Instructions:

Blend everything together in a food processor until well blended, about one minute. Scrape down the sides and on the bottom to make sure you get all those avocado pieces and run it a few more seconds. If you think it’s too thick, add some more milk. I recommend eating it after chilling in the fridge for one hour. A few times I’ve made it, it was good the next day (or even in several days) but the last time, it was kind of funky on the second day. I’m guessing it has something to do with the avocados. So please, eat it on the day of making. :)

Makes two generous servings.

Source: Chocolate Avocado Pudding from Natural Noshing

23 comments on “Raspberry Chocolate Avocado Pudding (vegan)” — Add one!

• Heather R says
    January 24, 2013 @ 2:15 am

Honestly I'm still a little burned out on sweets because of the holidays but I'm slowly making my way through some recipes. I've invited my family over for supper on Sunday and I'm making this for dessert. I know they're going to be shocked as to how unbelievable this is. My husband was. I hope you post your Nutella fudge. Now that I'm getting more adventurous I'll make that too!

• Erin replies to Heather R
      January 29, 2013 @ 2:53 pm

Sorry for my slow reply! I was really sick up until today. The avocado fudge I made is still in the fridge and hasn't been touched or photographed. I hope I'll feel well enough to get around to that soon so that I can make a post about it. I hope your family liked the pudding! :) And I like that you're getting more adventurous. I'm the same way, but with only very few things. Like with avocados. :)

• Heather R says
    January 22, 2013 @ 7:30 pm

I admit I was skeptical about putting avocado into a dessert (quite skeptical actually), but the picture looks great and I love your recipes so I decided to try it and I'm soooo glad that I did. It's phenomenal! Honestly the best pudding I've ever tried. I'm shocked at how delicious it is! Who knew avocado could taste this good? I like it thick too so I made it without milk, used 2 cups of raspberries and 1/2 cup of sugar. Heavenly, and I haven't even put it in the fridge yet. I will definitely be making this for Valentine's Day:) Thank you!

• Erin replies to Heather R
      January 23, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

Hey, it's Heather R! I've missed your comments. :) I'm so happy that you tried this out despite the weird addition of avocado! And guess what I just made today? Nutella fudge (no sugar other than what's in the Nutella) with… avocado! It's crazy but it somehow worked. Thanks for your feedback, as always. :) It made my day when I saw that I got a comment from you! And the best pudding ever? That's really generous of you. I have to admit that I prefer the sugar and butter filled kind. Especially butterscotch. :D

April 15, 2012 @ 8:52 pm

Alaine – I also love sneaking fruits and veggies into my dessert because I have a hard time getting enough. I hope you enjoy this if you try it out! :)

• Alaine says
    April 15, 2012 @ 5:10 pm

Wow, what a great idea! I will have to try this for sure. I love being able to sneak fruits and veggies into my desserts!

March 12, 2012 @ 7:50 pm

You never know. I actually found a really healthy recipe the other day, with all kinds of weird healthy things, and one of the ingredients was some kind of chocolate powder, so I thought maybe that's what you had used. But good to know that I don't need to go buy that funky powder to make your version. :)

March 12, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

Yeah, my mistake :-)

March 12, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

Miryam – I'm so happy that it worked out for you! By chocolate powder, do you mean chocolate cocoa? If not, I'm really curious what chocolate powder is. :)

I can't wait to see your post!

March 11, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

I just made this making some changes. I used some orange zest, orange juice and triple sec to make it orange flavor. I also used dark chocolate powder instead. It was amazing. I will do a post about it next week so I will let you know :-). I will be using avocados a lot more often now!!

February 28, 2012 @ 9:01 pm

Veggie Wonder – Thanks a bunch! I hope that you enjoy whatever avocado pudding recipe you try. I've tried a lot and to be honest, they've all been delicious. Thanks for stopping by! :)

• Veggie Wonder says
    February 28, 2012 @ 6:21 am

Wow, this looks great! I keep meaning to try a chocolate avocado pudding, they all look good! The addition of raspberry makes it just that much more special! Great photos too. :-)

February 16, 2012 @ 9:46 pm

Julie – Thanks, but it wasn't really my idea. :) You should try it some time! Avocados are cheap right now. They've even had them at Aldi for a few weeks at 65 cents each.

• Julie says
    February 16, 2012 @ 5:03 pm

Hi Erin, I would have never imagined adding chocolate with avocado together, though both have the same texture. This is inventive!

February 13, 2012 @ 9:58 pm

Nora – Thanks! But you know, if you try this version with a different fruit then you're just trying your version with a different fruit. :)

Nicole – I hope you can try it some day! I was pretty skeptical, even after a few bites, but then I liked it quite a lot. :)

Sara – I hope you like it! It's different but if you like avocados anyway I don't think you can go wrong.

• Sara @ SimplyWholeKitchen says
    February 13, 2012 @ 3:42 pm

WOW! What a great idea! I've never thought of using avocado (which I love) with chocolate! Can't wait to try this one!

• Nicole says
    February 12, 2012 @ 10:22 pm

This pudding looks delicious, and the sprinkles are so cute. I've been meaning to make dessert with avocado for a while now. I've seen some avocado cakes, but this is my first time seeing avocado pudding – another great idea. I hope you have a great Valentine's Day!

• Nora @ Natural Noshing says
    February 12, 2012 @ 5:59 pm

BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I love this! I am going to have to try this version with a different fruit – yum! Thanks so much for the mention, I am soooo glad I could inspire this lovely treat :)

February 11, 2012 @ 8:16 pm

So, how where they? I will definitely have to try this. I have had avocado on my ingredient recipe list to try but I haven't got around to it just yet!

The pudding really looks luxurious and the consistency seems just right. I think making it with raspberries will be better than bananas eventhough increasing the sugar content may be need it :-)

February 11, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

Heidi – I hope you like it! What recipe did you use? I have an avocado stockpile to use in pudding and other desserts and I'd love to try other recipes.

Katrina – Thanks. :)

Amanda – It was new to me too! There are so many avocado dessert dishes out there and I was completely unaware until a few weeks ago. I hope you can try it at some point!

• Amanda @ Thinly says
    February 11, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

I am in love with avocados but have never had them in a sweet dish before! Chocolate and avocados…hmmm I'll have to try it.

February 11, 2012 @ 5:08 am

I always love to make a good avocado pudding. This version sounds delicious.

February 11, 2012 @ 3:39 am

Yummy! I actually just tried a chocolate avocado pudding last week and LOVE it. I can't believe I haven't tried it before. We have a ton of raspberries in our freezer from last summer still, and avocados are on sale this week so I'm totally making this :D