Blueberry Maple Syrup Sauce

So blueberries were on sale last week. And when berries are on sale, I strike. They were taking up so much room in my fridge that I had to find a way to use some of them up quickly.

I keep seeing “blueberry syrup” during “American week” at the grocery stores here, and although I love the idea of blueberry syrup, I don’t love the idea of sugar + fake blueberry flavoring. With this recipe, the problem is all solved. View it as maple syrup made less sugary with more vitamins. :)

I use it with these whole grain pancakes for two. My favorite pancakes. Ever.

All you have to do is cook the maple syrup and blueberries for 15 minutes. That’s it. No straining and no fussy methods.

So the next time you want to make something special and you need to do it quickly, here you go! I imagine it would work with other types of fruit but I can’t think of any that go as well with maple syrup as blueberries do.

Blueberry Maple Syrup Sauce

• Yield: ¾ - 1 cup

• 2 cups (300 grams) blueberries
  • ½ cup (118 ml) maple syrup

1. In a medium saucepan, cook the blueberries and maple syrup over medium heat. The blueberries will pop and get very soft, so be careful with stirring.
  2. Stir every now and then, cooking about 15 minutes, until the sauce has thickened. Store in the fridge and reheat before serving.

24 comments on “Blueberry Maple Syrup Sauce” — Add one!

August 7, 2012 @ 10:03 pm

Christina – Good! I'm happy to support the blueberry industry in my own special way. :)

Marta – I'll email you tomorrow!

Nora – Thank you, thank you!

Anna – You should give it a try. :)

• Anna @ CrunchyCreamySweet says
    August 6, 2012 @ 10:43 pm

Now I wish I had these for breakfast.. Yum!

• Nora @ Natural Noshing says
    August 6, 2012 @ 9:02 pm

You sound like me when it comes to blueberries! I love them!!! This looks deeeeeelish! :)

• Marta @ What Should I Eat For Breakfast Today says
    August 5, 2012 @ 4:14 pm

Yey!

• DessertForTwo says
    August 5, 2012 @ 3:25 am

You're making me crave blueberries!

August 4, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

Heidi – I used to put blueberries on toast and then smother it in maple syrup. So yeah, I agree. Blueberries and maple syrup all the way!

Claire – Thanks!

Marta – I'm so embarrassed to say… I don't like tapas. The only "ethnic" food I like in general (of course there are exceptions) is Italian. But thanks for the recommendation! But we could still definitely meet up. :)

JulieD – Me too! I went through maybe 6 pounds last week. By myself.

• JulieD says
    August 4, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

OMG, I have to make this…i'm obsessed slightly with blueberries!!

• Marta @ What Should I Eat For Breakfast Today says
    August 4, 2012 @ 3:16 pm

it looks perfect on pancakes. I also wanted to let you know that I've found a great tapas restaurant in Neukoln. It's called Mariamulata and I just love food over there. If you have a chance go there :) And if you won't have a company I'll go there with you :)

• claire @ the realistic nutritionist says
    August 4, 2012 @ 1:53 am

My gosh!!!! So perfect.

August 3, 2012 @ 8:51 pm

Yum!! I don't know what it is, but blueberries go so good with maple syrup(I'm Canadian so I'm going to say it's because their both "Canadian" foods, that's why they're awesome together, lol!) Looks delicious!

August 3, 2012 @ 7:26 pm

Becca – Haha. A blueberry hat. You always make me laugh. Thank you. :)

Kathryn – Yup, there was a similar picture on there. Happy you think it looks good!

Kammie – I suppose it's not the worst thing to be in love with. :)

Amy – Except that it's totally unrealistic! I wanted to be realistic. Booo.

Miryam – I used fresh because they were so cheap on sale but I'm sure frozen would work too! As long as they're good ones. I hope you like it!

Stephanie – I made blueberry frozen yogurt at the same time and it didn't even occur to me to use some of this at the same time. Nooo! My pictures would have been so much prettier.

Ashley – Hope you like it!

Saguna – I hope you love the pancakes! They're my absolute favorite. I'm sure any good berries would be wonderful in this sauce. I mean, the maple syrup is already plenty sweet so… even if the berries aren't especially sweet it should work. :)

Erin – Yeah, we are. :) And your sauce pictures weren't messy at all! Way more realistic than the mess above. I hope you love the sauce if you try it!

Aimee – Good idea! The pancakes just get in the way. :)

Sally – Sally. It's really terrible. You wouldn't believe the things the produce for "American week." I think I need to do a post about it. I'll have to start gathering… hmm, evidence. That's what I'm going to call it. Evidence. Anyway, thanks. :)

Jen – You've gotta try it! Look how easy it is. It might not be cheaper than the bottled stuff, though. But at least it's all real. :)

Jessica – Thank you! Although I have to admit, I quite liked the store bought stuff the one or two times I had it. But you're right, this is better!

• Jessica@AKitchenAddiction says
    August 3, 2012 @ 6:26 pm

This looks SO much better than the store bought stuff!

• Jen @JuanitasCocina says
    August 3, 2012 @ 5:14 pm

So simple and so divine! <3

Blueberry syrup is my favorite syrup but I never considered making it myself.

• sallys baking addiction says
    August 3, 2012 @ 3:44 pm

American Week – I love it! And I actually favor blueberry sauce over my pancakes. Sometimes I like to put apple butter on them too! Yours looks so good Erin!

• Aimee @ ShugarySweets says
    August 3, 2012 @ 3:40 pm

OMG I don't even need the pancakes, just the sauce please and a spoon!

• Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts says
    August 3, 2012 @ 3:33 pm

We are just on the same page lately :) Sauce is so hard to pour – my picture always look a mess when sauce is involved!
    Love all the maple syrup in here, I will have to try this next time I make pancakes.

• Saguna says
    August 3, 2012 @ 11:51 am

This looks amazing- and a way to use up my leftover blueberries.

I can't wait for blackberry season in a bit- I think they would be awesome in this sauce too! Your pancakes DO look super stellar. Gotta try em, I think..

• Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes says
    August 3, 2012 @ 7:44 am

Wow – this looks heavenly. Can't wait to try this atop some pancakes!

• Macaroni and Cheesecake says
    August 3, 2012 @ 4:08 am

Mmm!! This looks like the perfect pancake (or ice cream!) topping!!

August 2, 2012 @ 10:52 pm

OMG, I bet this sauce tastes amazing!! What a phenomenal breakfast, right up my alley :-) I still have to make some pancakes and this would be great on them. Did I u use fresh or frozen blueberries? I am sure fresh but I wonder if it would be the same result using frozen!! I have plenty of frozen berries :-)

August 2, 2012 @ 10:19 pm

nothing wrong with being a little heavy-handed on the syrup. =) looks awesome to me!

• Kammie @ Sensual Appeal says
    August 2, 2012 @ 10:16 pm

In love. Ahhh

• london bakes says
    August 2, 2012 @ 10:11 pm

I saw these pics on instagram (I think?) and thought they looked amazing as this blog post has confirmed!

• Becca says
    August 2, 2012 @ 9:56 pm

I like the pictures. It looks like the panakes are wearing a blueberry hat. Plus the whole blueberries add a nice homeyness to the pictures. I like!