Banana Orange Avocado Smoothie

This healthy banana orange avocado smoothie really benefits from the addition of avocado! It adds extreme creaminess and nutrition that you won’t find in other smoothies.

Banana Orange Avocado Smoothie | texanerin.com

When I gave the first version of this smoothie to Mr. Texanerin to try, I asked him to guess what was in there. His first guess was lemon. And then strawberries. Both incredibly wrong! In my tropical island paradise, I’m serving banana orange avocado smoothies. Banana because I am SO tired of raspberry smoothies, orange because they’re in season, and avocado because I have to eat green food and avocados in smoothies is the only way I like green food.

This doesn’t taste at all like lemon or strawberries. It tastes like banana and orange and summer and sunshine. And it’s so sweet! It’s amazing what bananas can do. Most importantly, this smoothie most definitely does not taste like it has avocado in it. Did you know that only 1/5 of a medium avocado is one serving? So this means this smoothie has 5.5 servings of fruit. The whole smoothie is quite a few calories for one person in one go, but at least it’s healthy. Let’s say it’s two small servings, shall we?

Rainbow Island
Photo by Muha

Welcome to my island paradise! On my island, despite the constant sunshine, there are no UV rays. Little golden retriever puppies, who stay puppy sized forever, run around freely. Vegetables and sweets have switched nutritional value and my only responsibility is to bake. And everyone on my island has perfect health. You’re invited!

Maldives
Photo by Sarah Ackerman

Just look at you and your special someone relaxing on the boat, sipping on this smoothie. Life is good.

Banana Orange Avocado Smoothie | texanerin.com

Mr. T and I had a disagreement about the next picture.

Mr. Texanerin: Why would would anyone go from floating on the water to a hammock? That makes no sense.

Erin: Because they’re tired and they need to nap!

Mr. Texanerin: But they can nap on the boat.

Erin: Nooooo.

Mr. Texanerin: You can write that dolphins came up to the boat and kept trying to play and so the people couldn’t nap on the boat and so they had to go to land!

Please forgive my silliness. The incredibly dark gloomy skies have caused some slight problems with my sanity.

Aruba
Photo by Salvatore Freni

I have some other avocado smoothies if orange isn’t your thing!

Chocolate Avocado Smoothie | texanerin.com
Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
Raspberry Banana Avocado Smoothie | texanerin.com
Raspberry Banana Avocado Smoothie

Banana Orange Avocado Smoothie

• Yield: 2 small servings

• 2 bananas, cut into chunks and frozen for 1 hour
  • ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
  • ½ cup orange juice
  • the meat of ½ an avocado
  • zest of 1 orange
  • milk

1. Blend everything together in a food processor. If you have a good blender, you can use that too.
  2. If you want the smoothie thinner, add milk until you're satisfied with the consistency. Serve immediately.

36 comments on “Banana Orange Avocado Smoothie” — Add one!

• Mary says
    February 6, 2014 @ 12:19 am

The smoothie was delicious! My daughter doesn’t like eating bananas but she loved the smoothie!

• Erin replies to Mary
      February 6, 2014 @ 8:45 pm

I’m so happy to hear that, Mary! I’m happy that you found a way to get your daughter to eat bananas. :) Thanks so much for the feedback!

• peaceloveandsmoothies says
    January 22, 2014 @ 6:10 am

Banana and orange seems like a delicious combination! I have tried avocado smoothies, and they are a great way to get that extra nutrition in a yummy treat!

January 11, 2013 @ 11:10 pm

Bananas in your smoothie?! Whaaaat? Anyways, those pictures make me want to go some place hot like that :( Which is pretty unlikely since my hubby doesn't particularly want to go anywhere hot. Laying on a beach is not his idea of an awesome vacation… That just means I really can't wait for summer here(he'll have to go to the beach and camping with me and the kids :D) Cannot wait for this summer! Anyways… Just wanted to say I love avocado in smoothies now, I think you might have introduced me to that a long time ago. Yummy :D

• Erin replies to Heidi @ Food Doodles
      January 14, 2013 @ 10:39 pm

I'm doing an experiment! I read that the allergy-ness of bananas varies depending on the time. So far I've had quite a few and haven't gotten sick. YAY! I'll be so excited if I can have bananas again! And aren't avocado smoothies the best? I mean, at least they are for people who don't like avocados plain. :)

• Loretta E. says
    January 10, 2013 @ 7:59 pm

I think they probably made the serving size of avocados tiny so people wouldn't be so scared of the fat content. I say, bring it on! So this means that when I use 4 avocados in my guacamole recipe and then share it with my husband, I'm eating 10 servings?! I kind of scoff at that because honestly, who can keep track of all that? Not me, that's for sure! Plus, I don't worry about healthy fats. They're filling and harder to overeat as long as you're eating them with something else!

I love your husband's comments about the boat and the hammock!

Have a great weekend Erin!

• Erin replies to Loretta E.
      January 14, 2013 @ 10:38 pm

I know… it's crazy! I use 1/2 at a time. And I'm not worried the least bit about healthy fat. Bring it on is right! :)

• Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen says
    January 10, 2013 @ 2:37 am

Those photos look sooo nice! I want to be there right now! haha. I can't wait to try this smoothie Erin, it looks delicious!!

• Honey says
    January 9, 2013 @ 6:28 am

oooh, this looks really good. i've been wanting to make avocado smoothies, but haven't gotten around to it. i love this!

• Erin replies to Honey
      January 9, 2013 @ 7:23 pm

You have to try! It's a great way to make your smoothies really creamy. :)

• Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today says
    January 8, 2013 @ 4:21 pm

I love the smoothie, the magical island and a small argument with Mr. T. as well. I must tell you that banana smoothie was the first thing I had on the 1st of January. It did not contain orange and avocado, but it was not a time to think. It was a time to drink liquids. Happy New Year to you two :)

• Ashley - Baker by Nature says
    January 8, 2013 @ 2:54 pm

I got a vitamix for Christmas and I've been obsessed with making smoothies ever since! Must try this vibrant one asap!

• Erin replies to Ashley – Baker by Nature
      January 9, 2013 @ 7:20 pm

A Vitamix?! Aaah, you're so lucky! Go make this now and report back, okay? :)

• Palrak replies to Ashley – Baker by Nature
      January 13, 2013 @ 12:56 am

I bought a Vitamix 9 days ago and have used it at least once a day. It takes up some real estate on my kitchen counter, but it's worth it. I make a large green smoothie every morning, and sometimes soup for dinner. Yes, it makes hot soup. It also makes sorbet and ice cream–truly a miracle appliance. I'm looking for a home for my blender, ice cream machine, and food processor.

• Cassie | Bake Your Day says
    January 8, 2013 @ 2:16 am

I love the paradise photos. I can see how this smoothie would take you right there!

• Erin replies to Cassie | Bake Your Day
      January 9, 2013 @ 7:20 pm

It really does! I'm allergic to bananas but still drank one of these just because it was so darn… tropical island-like.

• Becca says
    January 8, 2013 @ 1:23 am

This is how you win your argument: The person goes from lying in the ocean to the hammock because they want to take a nap, and if they take a nap in the ocean they will get burned by the sun for lack of shade/ and or they will drift too far away and become like Tom Hanks in Cast Away.

And even though I don't like bananas (trust me when I say I have tried them on multiple occasions) this smoothie looks really pretty and refreshing :)

• Erin replies to Becca
      January 9, 2013 @ 7:18 pm

Hahaha. That's most excellent reasoning, right there! "For lack of shade." Love it. :)

• sally @ sallys baking addiction says
    January 7, 2013 @ 9:40 pm

bananas and orange and sunshine. I need one of these in my life after a VERY windy, cold, blustery gray weekend. Erin, a huge smoothie like this would cheer up those dull days and weather!

• Erin replies to sally @ sallys baking addiction
      January 7, 2013 @ 11:34 pm

Then you'll need the whole recipe for yourself! That's not a problem though. Gotta get those servings of fruit in. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks says
    January 7, 2013 @ 6:59 pm

The smoothie looks crazy good right about now! And so do those island pics! I was just in a place like that recently and it feels like a lifetime ago already. Why do vacations ever have to end!!

• Erin replies to Averie @ Averie Cooks
      January 7, 2013 @ 11:34 pm

I wish I just came from a place like that! I came from Prague… like 3 weeks ago. That was nice but no, not the same. ;)

• angela @ another bite please says
    January 7, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

hahaha i am loving your paradise pictures…those are such a tease when i look out to our winter white wisconsin..beautiful..yet not quite paradise…smoothies – i need to get back into my addiction of smoothies!

• Erin replies to angela @ another bite please
      January 7, 2013 @ 11:33 pm

You do! They're so quick and healthy and satisfying. And I'm happy you like the pictures. It's kind of embarrassing how long I searched for the "perfect" ones. :)

January 7, 2013 @ 6:23 pm

Oh gosh for a moment I thought that was you and I felt so jealous :-) This place sure looks like paradise. Maybe some day!! I love smoothies, we make them all the time. I even freeze them as ice pops. So convenient. I actually just made a Mango Lasi that is out of this world. I think I could have added even some rum for a grown up version :-) Anyhow, great smoothie and great source of fruit, I love it.

• Erin replies to eatgood4life.blogspot.com
      January 7, 2013 @ 11:32 pm

Really? Haha. I wish I had money to take off to this make believe island paradise. :) Lasi? I have to do some googling! And rum… I thought about that too but didn't dare! It was breakfast for Mr. Texanerin, after all. :)

• Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations says
    January 7, 2013 @ 5:05 pm

This smoothie sure looks like summer, sun and beach time. Way to make the 'island paradise' come to you if you cant go there.
    Hidden like this even might consume avocado.

• Erin replies to Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations
      January 7, 2013 @ 11:30 pm

This is what you're living, isn't it? I'm jealous. I think we're all jealous! And you don't like avocado? Or your husband?

• Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations replies to Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations
      January 8, 2013 @ 12:39 pm

Haha…yeah some days are like this. Went to the beaches over the holidays. But Asian city life is quite different from the island paradise ;)
      Oops…meant to say 'I' would eat avocado like this, hubby probably too, if I don't tell him its in there ;) Neither of us are big fans.

• london bakes says
    January 7, 2013 @ 4:34 pm

I'm just going to sit here and stare at those pictures for a while ;)

Great smoothie, really like how bright and full of flavour this sounds!

• Erin replies to london bakes
      January 7, 2013 @ 11:29 pm

If only the actual smoothie part were bright! But that's okay. It tastes bright. :)

January 7, 2013 @ 4:32 pm

This looks delicious! And you + your husband are too funny – i love the idea that the playing dolphins drove them to the hammock. HA!