Healthier Nutella Fudge

Healthier Nutella Fudge | texanerin.com Like I promised you in my last post, I’m preparing some healthier chocolate involving recipes for Valentine’s Day and I’m starting off with the quickest and easiest! I set out to make some not-so-healthy, but yet healthier than normal Nutella fudge, but then I added avocado. What. I don’t know. But you can’t taste the avocado at all so don’t worry about it messing with the chocolatey taste! The texture isn’t exactly like fudge but if you’ve ever had cocoa powder + coconut oil fudge before, you probably know that it’s not that fudgy. That’s where the avocado comes in! It gives the candy some body and makes it way more creamy than the usual “healthy” fudge. I thought that the avocado would make the fudge go bad pretty quickly, but it’s been going strong for two weeks now. Avocados are just magical like that. Healthier Nutella Fudge | texanerin.com You can use Nutella or healthier homemade Nutella. Whatever you have around will do. There’s no sugar in this recipe other than what’s in the Nutella, so if you use something other than Nutella, you might have to add some honey or sugar. Just add it to taste! And if you’re not in the mood to make this slightly funky (I mean, come on, despite its deliciousness, it has avocados in it…) recipe, try this one: chocolate Nutella fudge. I’ve made it several times and it’s SO easy and delicious. And very Nutella-y! The big difference in the two recipes, at least for me, is that I don’t feel bad after having eaten several pieces of the healthy version. And for someone with a portion control problem, that’s a huge plus! If you make this, please don’t expect it to taste like staight-up, sugar-filled Nutella fudge. It tastes like healthier chocolate fudgy candy (but awesome nonetheless!) So what’s your favorite recipe with Nutella? Normally I don’t make things with Nutella because Mr. Texanerin usually prefers eating it with a spoon from the jar, but I’m open to suggestions!

Healthier Nutella Fudge

• Yield: 12 - 16 pieces

• 3 tablespoons (42 grams) coconut oil
  • ¼ cup (70 grams) Nutella
  • ¼ cup (20 grams) Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • ¼ cup (65 grams) avocado flesh

1. Melt the coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Stir in the Nutella and cocoa powder until well combined.
  2. With an immersion blender, add in the avocado flesh. You can also do everything in a food processor. I haven't tried with just a hand mixer and I'm afraid that it won't puree the avocado enough.
  3. Pour into little candy liners, a candy mold, or a parchment or wax paper lined baking pan. Let firm for at least an hour in the fridge before serving. Store in the fridge.
  4. Mine has already been sitting there for two weeks and is fine but I recommend no longer than one week to be on the safe side.

48 comments on “Healthier Nutella Fudge” — Add one!

• Heather R says
    March 25, 2013 @ 12:49 am

I had been meaning to make this since you posted it and I finally did. So silly where as it takes very little time to prepare. I really enjoyed it! The avocado gave it a nice creamy texture. I too have a portion control problem and loved that this wasn't really sweet so after eating a few pieces I felt satisfied and not sick and filled with self loathing. haha.

• Erin replies to Heather R
      March 26, 2013 @ 9:32 am

Same here! With normal fudge, I just want to eat it all. But this, I don't know… I just didn't have that feeling. And I liked that! Maybe because it's not as good as real fudge, but still really nice in a different way. :) Thank you as always for your feedback! You get my #1-feedback-leaver award. :D

• Ella - Home Cooking Adventure says
    February 15, 2013 @ 3:21 pm

Very good idea of using avocado. Nice recipe.

• Cara says
    February 10, 2013 @ 11:30 pm

I always seem to have some leftover avocado hanging around and this sounds like a cool idea to use it up!

• Lora says
    February 9, 2013 @ 1:38 am

Love this recipe. Great call on using the avocado.

• Erin replies to Lora
      February 9, 2013 @ 9:03 pm

Thanks! :)

• Choclette says
    February 8, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

It certainly looks very fudgy. I've been wanting to try avocado with chocolate for a while, but can never find a ripe avocado when I need one! I've really enjoyed the raw chocolates I've made so far, but need to experiment a lot more.

• Erin replies to Choclette
      February 9, 2013 @ 9:02 pm

I buy lots of avocados at once and freeze them if I don't use them up quick enough. Then I use them for smoothies! They made them so creamy. :) Good luck with your experimentations!

• Emily King says
    February 8, 2013 @ 8:51 pm
    • Erin replies to Emily King
      February 8, 2013 @ 9:05 pm

Hahaha. I am 100% going to do that for my husband. He eats it by the spoonful so this will suit him fine. Thanks for the link! :)

• Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies says
    February 8, 2013 @ 7:00 pm

This looks perfect and super tasty! I've been seeing the avocado chocolate combo around lately, so it must be a good one!

• Erin replies to Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies
      February 8, 2013 @ 9:04 pm

OH MY GOSH. Your site is called Hidden Fruit and Veggies?! Holy cow. Where have you been all my life? I need to check it out!

February 8, 2013 @ 3:17 pm

I've seen several recipes recently for chocolate and avocado…sounds like something I need to try!

• Erin replies to Erin
      February 8, 2013 @ 9:03 pm

Yeah you do! Start off with some pudding or something. It's more fun than this! :)

• angela @ another bite please says
    February 8, 2013 @ 4:45 am

oh goodness…this fudge looks perfect and love the healthier version…avocado in chocolate taste so amazing!

• Erin replies to angela @ another bite please
      February 8, 2013 @ 9:02 pm

Thanks! I just love how creamy they make things. I'm allergic to bananas and I guess a normal person would have used bananas here… but no. Avocados for the win! :D

• Loretta E. says
    February 7, 2013 @ 7:35 pm

I think my hubby would love this. If we were eating sugar this month, I'd totally make them for him for Valentine's Day!

• Erin replies to Loretta E.
      February 7, 2013 @ 9:20 pm

No sweets?! I'll have to go check our your blog and see what's going on with that. None at all?! Oy. That's great! Wish I could do that, too. :)

• claire @ the realistic nutritionist says
    February 7, 2013 @ 4:21 pm

I love nutella and I love healthy sweets!

February 7, 2013 @ 4:06 pm

This sounds sooo good + I love any sweet that's been made healthier. YUM!

• ashley - baker by nature says
    February 7, 2013 @ 1:25 pm

Everything about this post has me screaming "YES!". In love.

• Stalybridge Chiropody says
    February 7, 2013 @ 11:29 am

Delicious recipe, so simple too!

• Amy says
    February 7, 2013 @ 8:33 am

I don't always make/eat fudge but these are totally great and I love that they are healthier! :) With nutella in them? I'm diving right in!

• Erin replies to Amy
      February 7, 2013 @ 9:18 pm

Thanks! I actually love "real" fudge but have such a problem not eating all of it uncontrollably. Here… yeah, I don't really care. :)

February 6, 2013 @ 9:54 pm

This for sure qualifies as healthy nutella fudge, I love it. I need to make something like this for my next fudge recipe because I don't think I can't stand the super sweet fudge anymore. It looks good and tasty but just a couple of bites and I am good to go!! Like you mention, I think is better knowing that you are eating something healthy and not feeling guilty while eating it is the best part.

• Erin replies to eatgood4life.blogspot.com
      February 7, 2013 @ 9:16 pm

My problem with real fudge is that a few pieces is not enough for me! Like your Bailey's fudge is still the best fudge ever but it makes SO much. I feel compelled to eat it all. :(

• Caroline @ chocolate & carrots says
    February 6, 2013 @ 9:48 pm

They look perfect!!! Love the heart sprinkles too!

• Sara says
    February 6, 2013 @ 10:32 pm

Sounds delicious! Can't wait to try these!

• Erin replies to Sara
      February 7, 2013 @ 9:16 pm

I hope you like it! :)

• Carla Walker says
    February 6, 2013 @ 7:19 pm

I think those look perfect, and I love the avocado addition. Anything that makes eating 10 of them at a time feel like youre being healthy ;) So perfect!

• Erin replies to Carla Walker
      February 6, 2013 @ 8:57 pm

Haha. Other than the Nutella, I feel very happy with the healthy-ness of these. So yes… eat up. ;)

• Saguna says
    February 6, 2013 @ 11:15 am

I love creamy avocado in desserts- this looks amazing! And yesterday was Nutella day, or so I've heard, but I failed to actually imbibe Nutella… sooo I might just have to make a batch of these to make up for it. ;)

• Erin replies to Saguna
      February 6, 2013 @ 8:56 pm

Was it?! Yay! I actually posted something for Nutella Day. And I hope you like these if you try them!

• Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations says
    February 6, 2013 @ 8:34 am

Mmmm…avocado chocolate fudge? Sounds very interesting. I can imagine it will make for a creamy texture.

• Erin replies to Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations
      February 6, 2013 @ 8:55 pm

I know what "interesting" means. I'm the expert at, "Oh… how interesting." ;) Haha. Just kidding. It is weird! But you can't taste it so it's all good.

• Becca says
    February 6, 2013 @ 4:08 am

Avocado flesh? I've heard of using the pale green part of the avocado, but not the flesh part. And despite there being avocado in these, they look so tasty! I need to start trusting you more, I mean you /were/ right about not being able to taste the cottage cheese in those pancakes.

• Erin replies to Becca
      February 6, 2013 @ 8:54 pm

That is the avocado flesh! You're thinking of the skin. :) Definitely never trust me if I tell you to use the dark, hard green outer part because that would be nasty. ;) And hehe… yeah, trust me more with the funky recipes. Have you seen those chickpea cookies? They're the weirdest recipe I've come up with but the most popular.

• Becca replies to Becca
      February 7, 2013 @ 3:46 pm

Ok, yeah, that would make much more sense. Because eating the hard shell doesn't seem appetizing at all :/

February 6, 2013 @ 2:33 am

Mmm such a delight!

• Cassie | Bake Your Day says
    February 6, 2013 @ 12:15 am

Perfection, Erin! I love this. Great way to enjoy a little indulgence!

• london bakes says
    February 5, 2013 @ 10:32 pm

I like the addition of avocado – it looks like it gives the fudge such a lovely rich and creamy texture.

• Erin replies to london bakes
      February 6, 2013 @ 8:47 pm

I tried this recipe without the avocado and it just wasn't the same. It was like eating flavored coconut oil. Yuck!