Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Spread (dairy-free, vegan)

Peanuts, chocolate, and cocoa powder is all you need to make this creamy, chocolatey homemade chocolate peanut butter spread! And it only takes a few minutes to put together. It’s also naturally gluten-free, vegan and dairy-free!

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Spread - peanuts, chocolate and cocoa powder is all you need to make this super creamy and delicious spread! | texanerin.com

My favorite not-so-unhealthy thing for breakfast is an English muffin with homemade peanut butter. To make homemade peanut butter, all you do is process peanuts in a food processor. It’s ridiculously simple. Then I got to thinking… is there some way to involve chocolate in this breakfast fun? It’s hard to beat peanut butter, isn’t it?

I tried doing it the healthy way. Adding cocoa powder and honey to my peanut butter. This didn’t work. It wasn’t creamy but crumbly and not chocolatey enough. And I won’t sacrifice taste for healthy. It has to be both healthy and and tasty for it get to get posted!

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Spread - just add peanuts, cocoa powder and chocolate to a food processor! | texanerin.com

So what we have here is basically peanut butter + melted chocolate chips and a little extra cocoa powder for extra chocolate goodness. You won’t complain, will you? I mean, if you use dark chocolate, with all the antioxidants and all, this is basically health food. ;)

Look. WebMD agrees with me.

“Dark chocolate — but not milk chocolate or dark chocolate eaten with milk — is a potent antioxidant… Antioxidants gobble up free radicals, destructive molecules that are implicated in heart disease and other ailments.”

Antioxidants are gobblers! I love the word gobble.

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Spread - simply process peanuts, chocolate and cocoa powder together! | texanerin.com

Oh, and there’s another peanut butter + chocolate recipe coming this week. So you might wanna check back later. For now, you can go make this and gobble it up. Just like the dark chocolate will gobble up those free radicals. :D

If you use Enjoy Life chocolate chips, this chocolate peanut butter spread is dairy-free! It’s also vegan (if you don’t use milk chocolate) and naturally gluten-free.

And here’s some goodies that you can use this homemade chocolate peanut butter spread in! I have a ton more here.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Macaroons - gluten-free, dairy-free and 100% whole grain, these healthier macaroons are quick and easy to make and taste amazing! | texanerin.com
Chocolate Peanut Butter Macaroons (gluten-free, dairy-free, 100% whole grain)
Gluten-free Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies | texanerin.com
Gluten-free Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Spread (dairy-free, vegan)
  • Yield: about 1⅓ cups

1. Using the s-blade of your food processor, process the peanuts until creamy. At first there'll be ground peanuts, and then it'll start to come together in a ball, then it'll actually be a ball, and then the ball will break down and be super creamy.
  2. Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl at half power, in 30 second increments, stirring after each 30 seconds. Add the cocoa powder and salt, if using, and pulse.
  3. Then add the melted chocolate and pulse a few times until it's thoroughly combined.
  4. I store this at room temperature so that it'll remain nice and creamy. You could store it in the fridge if you like but it will harden quite a bit, making it difficult to spread.

68 comments on “Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Spread (dairy-free, vegan)” — Add one!

• Diane
    September 4, 2014 @ 4:02 am

I just noticed recently all the hydrogenated junk in Nutella, and felt the need to explore options. A jar of homemade Nutella from the farmers market was good but $10 for a tiny jar.

I want to try this, but in meantime wanted to use up some of the Costco PB my HB got.

So I put 3 oz semi sweet choc, melted, in with about 1.5 cups of PB and 2tbsp cocoa. It was good, but adding 2 spoons of honey made the choc taste pop a lot more.

I am excited to get going with healthier tree nuts and save $ with the real recipe!

Thanks!

• Erin replies to Diane
      September 4, 2014 @ 4:16 pm

I like your recipe! Adding chocolate and honey sounds amazing. :) And if you want the chocolate hazelnut version, here you go. It tastes nothing like Nutella and requires quite a bit of sweetener (because of all the cocoa powder) but at least it doesn’t have funky stuff. I’m sure it would also benefit from some honey. ;) The only thing is that peeling the hazelnuts is really, really annoying. I recommend buying blanched hazelnuts if they have them at Costco!

• Maria says
    March 18, 2014 @ 11:36 pm

This peanut butter sounds ridiculously incredible! I realllllly want to make it but I am unsure of when to add the melted chocolate chips into the mix. You forgot to mention that..

• Erin replies to Maria
      March 18, 2014 @ 11:40 pm

Oh my! So sorry and thank you for pointing that out! It’s fixed now. :) I hope you’ll enjoy it!

• Rebecca says
    February 5, 2014 @ 6:33 pm

Erin, what sort of food processor do you recommend to make nut butters? I bought something that was labeled “food processor” but it’s a gloried chopper and little else. Help! Thanks:)

• Erin replies to Rebecca
      February 5, 2014 @ 7:41 pm

Was it a full-sized food processor? How strange! Definitely get a full-sized one (although I know someone who makes peanut butter with an immersion blender!) I’ve never used this one but I’ve heard it’s good: Cuisinart food processor. Good luck! :)

• Ellen says
    August 20, 2013 @ 10:35 pm

I just made some of your plain peanut butter, and it is delicious! I am wondering if you recommend storing it in the fridge. We usually keep even opened store-bought natural peanut butter in the cupboard, because it doesn’t last that long in our house, but I don’t know if this would be any different with homemade.

• Erin replies to Ellen
      August 21, 2013 @ 11:37 am

I recommend keeping it in the fridge. It’s just peanuts so I have no idea why it’d go bad but I feel uneasy about saying room temperature is fine. I’m happy you liked the peanut butter! Thanks for the feedback. :)

• Sarah
    May 27, 2013 @ 9:56 pm

I just made this. It s so easy and tastes fabulous. I’ve made your Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter several times so was surprised how easy this was and how quickly it came together. I don’t think I’ll ever buy nut butter again :)

• Erin replies to Sarah
      May 28, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

Yay! So happy to hear that you like both nut butters. :) And excellent that you’ll no longer have to buy store bought nut butters. They’re so outrageously expensive! Thanks a ton for your feedback and the rating. :)

March 26, 2013 @ 11:48 pm

Mmmm, I loooooove chocolatey peanut butter. I don't know why honey never works for me in nut butters. Isn't it weird? Anyways, this looks awesome :)

• Carla Walker says
    March 14, 2013 @ 11:36 pm

Ok, loving this peanut butter chocolate week! I need to pin both of these recipes. Mmmmmm, I seriously cannot wait to make this. It is happening as soon as I get home!

• meghan @ scratch-made wife says
    March 14, 2013 @ 7:54 pm

Trouble. That's all I have to say about homemade chocolate peanut butter. I could eat that stuff on ice cream, an English muffin, a spoon, you name it. Your photos look amazing! I hope I can try this recipe soon. :)

• Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet } says
    March 11, 2013 @ 7:15 pm

Love, love, love! Your photos are very inviting and the peanut butter is almost ready for me to take my finger to it and take a bite. Delish!!

March 10, 2013 @ 8:54 pm

Thanks! I don't know why I didn't think of chocolate peanut butter before. It's so simple and easy. :)

• Lemons and Anchovies says
    March 10, 2013 @ 5:04 pm

What a brilliant idea! Love the rich color and the perfect creaminess of this peanut butter. Oh, wow!

• Nicole, RD says
    March 8, 2013 @ 6:40 pm

Just hand me a spoon and a bib! ;)

• Erin replies to Nicole, RD
      March 10, 2013 @ 8:53 pm

Haha. Good idea! We've gotta be neat about it. :)

• blueberrykitchen says
    March 8, 2013 @ 5:04 pm

Ooh yum, your chocolate peanut butter looks so good!

• Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts says
    March 8, 2013 @ 3:03 am

I often eat an English muffin with peanut butter for breakfast, but I sprinkle it with a few chocolate chips. This is so much better though!!

• Valerie says
    March 8, 2013 @ 1:06 am

Chocolate and peanut butter are an irresistible match! I think I'd this this entire jar via spoon. ;)

• Erin replies to Valerie
      March 8, 2013 @ 6:06 pm

Haha. Well why not? It's fewer calories if you skip the bread. ;)

• Jen Laceda | Tartine and Apron Strings says
    March 7, 2013 @ 11:15 pm

Oh my goodness, am I in heaven??? This is absolutely fantastic. I can also imagine this chocolate peanut butter in a swirl cake, maybe? Decadent – yes! Delicious? Double yes!!!!

• Erin replies to Jen Laceda | Tartine and Apron Strings
      March 8, 2013 @ 6:05 pm

Oh, yeah! That sounds amazing. I'm working on a post right now for some peanut butter topped chocolate brownies. This would also work there! Yay. :D

• The Café Sucré Farine says
    March 7, 2013 @ 7:21 pm

Sounds WONDERFUL! Love your cute little jar too, is it German?

• Erin replies to The Café Sucré Farine
      March 8, 2013 @ 6:03 pm

It's a Weck jar! I've seen them on other blogs so I know that you can get them in the US. They're so small. Love them for nut butters and jam!

• www.you-made-that.com says
    March 7, 2013 @ 6:05 pm

Yum, these looks pretty tasty and easy too, I really need to try this when my jar runs out :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks says
    March 7, 2013 @ 5:43 pm

Great minds think alike. I just posted chocolate PB! But I used choc chips rather than cocoa powder & didn't even bother melting. I know what you mean about needing full-on chocolate intensity; nothing mild or wimpy!

• Erin replies to Averie @ Averie Cooks
      March 8, 2013 @ 6:01 pm

Yeah! We're no wimps when it comes to chocolate OR booze. ;) I've gotta go check out your chocolate peanut butter now!

• sally @ sallys baking addiction says
    March 7, 2013 @ 5:15 pm

I could drink this. Or eat it with a spoon. Or both at the same time. I NEED this in my life right now Erin. You know I'm in love with peanut butter and chocolate – now why haven't I ever made a chocolate peanut butter before? OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!! PS: gorgeous photos :)

• Erin replies to sally @ sallys baking addiction
      March 8, 2013 @ 5:59 pm

When it's room temperature, it's actually drinkable. Yup. Drinkable! And thank you so much for the photo comment! You know how I feel about my photos so that means a lot to me. :)

• Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction says
    March 7, 2013 @ 4:33 pm

I would be eating this by the spoonful! Love chocolate and peanut butter!

March 7, 2013 @ 1:50 pm

OH yum! One of my favorite (not as healthy) things to do is to melt chocolate chips and store bought peanut butter together and dip graham crackers into it. SO GOOD, and I bet this is amazing too!

• Erin replies to Erin
      March 8, 2013 @ 5:57 pm

Sounds healthy enough to me! I miss graham crackers. I need to make some!

• Anna {Hidden Ponies} says
    March 7, 2013 @ 7:51 am

Oh I would eat this every morning. Yum.

• ashley - baker by nature says
    March 7, 2013 @ 3:54 am

Um, did someone say chocolate peanut butter?! I'm in!

• Angela AnotherBitePlease says
    March 7, 2013 @ 3:47 am

ahhhhh what a sweet perfect addition fore breakfast! and how lucky for us webmd agrees!

• claire @ the realistic nutritionist says
    March 6, 2013 @ 7:32 pm

OH MY FREAKING GOSH ERIN!!!! I'd want like 14 tablespoons.

• Ashley says
    March 6, 2013 @ 6:06 pm

I eat an english muffin with peanut butter most mornings : ) Love the idea of adding some chocolate into that! I really need to try making my own nut butters… it's been on my list to try forever.

• Erin replies to Ashley
      March 8, 2013 @ 5:52 pm

You have to try! They're so quick and easy and most importantly, WAY cheaper than the kind from the store. It's just full of win! :)

• Jennie @themessybakerblog says
    March 6, 2013 @ 4:59 pm

You just made my favorite treat even better. It looks fantastic. Gobble…lol!

• Caroline @ chocolate and carrots says
    March 6, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

Holy moly. I'll gobble this whole thing right up! You are my hero.

March 6, 2013 @ 4:14 am

This sounds great!! I need to do this for my kids, so simple….and yes dark chocolate is really good for you, the higher the cocoa in it the better ;-) I love those little glass containers you used.

March 6, 2013 @ 3:08 am

I could sooo love this as a snack right now. Yum!

• Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic says
    March 6, 2013 @ 1:37 am

I love chocolate peanut butter! I might copy your breakfast tomorrow :)

• Ali | Gimme Some Oven says
    March 6, 2013 @ 1:04 am

Oh my GOODNESS. This sounds and looks completely irresistible. I want a bite right now! :)

• Becca says
    March 5, 2013 @ 11:17 pm

Mmmmm. chocolate and peanut butter. And it looks creamy, yet kind of crunchy, and I just started imagining myself just sitting on the couch eating this with a spoon, something I don't even do with regular peanut butter.

• Erin replies to Becca
      March 8, 2013 @ 5:44 pm

Yup, it's bad like that. I finally put mine in the fridge so that I couldn't just go after it with a spoon. It's hard enough in there so I don't bother unless it's breakfast. :)

• Laura (Tutti Dolci) says
    March 5, 2013 @ 10:08 pm

Oh my, this looks incredible! Wish I could dip a spoon in that jar ;).

• Erin replies to Laura (Tutti Dolci)
      March 8, 2013 @ 5:42 pm

Thank you! I just had some on an English muffin and I'm drinking a tea. I think it was you who mentioned tea time so thanks for that. I actually adopted that idea for this afternoon. :)

• Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations says
    March 5, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

I'd certainly like to gobble up some of this :D What's not to love about peanut butter + chocolate!

• givethanksandpraise says
    March 5, 2013 @ 9:59 pm

You are making my mouth water!