Homemade Healthier Marshmallows (gluten-free, dairy-free)

These homemade healthier marshmallows are completely sweetened with honey! All you do is make a syrup, add it to some gelatin, and then beat it until it’s fluffy. That’s it! Homemade Healthier Marshmallows – Gluten-free and Dairy-free | texanerin.com Marshmallows kind of scare me. They’re just so… weird. And unnatural. I’ve seen so many s’mores recipes lately and I wanted to get in on the action but I really didn’t want to use store bought marshmallows. So I found a completely honey sweetened recipe, with no funky ingredients! Besides gelatin. Gelatin kind of creeps me out, too. But I really wanted some s’mores so I went with it. That said… eating these marshmallows plain still isn’t for me. It feels odd. They’re just so jiggly! But smacked between two graham cookies?! Most amazing cookie sandwich ever. That post is coming up next! I’ve made a few other goodies with these and homemade is definitely the way to go. Gluten-free and Dairy-free Homemade Healthier Marshmallows | texanerin.com I was really intimidated when I saw this recipe. “I don’t think I can do this… I think I need help. I’m going to ruin them! Waaaah.” But really? They were easy. As long as you use the right mixer attachment. Using the dough hook doesn’t work so well when you want to whip something. If you feel a little anxious, the creator of the recipe, The Urban Poser, has even made a video walking you through the steps! I might have watched it 3 times. It’s really helpful so check it out! Healthier Homemade Marshmallows | texanerin.com Jenni says that if you want to roast the marshmallows, you should let them dry extra long. I did that but I must have messed up because mine melted within seconds after putting one into the oven. She also has loads of troubleshooting tips so you should really take a look at her post if it’s your first time making marshmallows. And look! I made my marshmallows cinnamon flavored. Sweetened with honey and cinnamon flavored. How perfect are these for all things s’mores? I know they now have tons of different types of marshmallows but can you get honey sweetened and cinnamon? I think not. So here. Make these! ;)

Homemade Healthier Marshmallows – Gluten-free and Dairy-free

Rated 5.0 by 1 reader
Homemade Healthier Marshmallows (gluten-free, dairy-free)
  • Yield: 32 marshmallows

Coating:

• ¼ cup (28 grams) powdered sugar1
  • ¼ cup (30 grams) cornstarch (non-GF) or potato starch or arrowroot starch
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • Marshmallows:

• 1 cup (236ml) water, divided
  • 2½ tablespoons gelatin
  • 1 cup (320 grams) honey
  • 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon salt

1. Line an 8"x8" pan with parchment paper.
  2. Combine the coating ingredients and using a sifter, sift a layer of this mixture over the parchment paper.
  3. In the bowl of your stand mixer, add ½ cup water to the gelatin and stir. Attach the whip attachment to the mixer and secure the bowl in place if it isn't already.
  4. Get out a medium saucepan (if your saucepan is too big, the mixture is more likely to burn!) Pour the remaining ½ cup water in this saucepan with the honey and salt and bring this to a boil over medium heat.
  5. With a candy thermometer in the saucepan, boil this mixture until the thermometer reads 245 degrees F (118 degrees C). Do not go past 245 degrees F! This took me a good 15 minutes, but could take more or less time depending on the size of your saucepan and burner. If the mixture starts to foam, use a spoon to break up the foam but try to leave the syrup alone. Once the mixture reaches 245 degrees F, remove the pan immediately off of the heat.
  6. Pour this mixture into the bowl of your stand mixer, in a slow stream. Be sure not to pour too fast as this will cause problems later on! The syrup and gelatin should be thoroughly combined before moving on with the recipe.
  7. Start beating this mixture on high and continue until it's thick, kind of like marshmallow creme, and the mixture is completely cool. This took me about 12 minutes but could take as few as 7 minutes. Once it's thick, stir in the vanilla and cinnamon and beat 30 seconds more.
  8. Spread the creme over the parchment paper as evenly as you can. Sift on another coating of the cinnamon sugar and cornstarch mixture.
  9. Let this sit for 4 hours and then cut and roll each marshmallow into more of the coating.
  10. Store, covered, for up to a week.

Notes

1. You can use more starch instead of powdered sugar, if desired.

Recipe adapted from Rustic Homemade Marshmallows With Honey – The Urban Poser

32 comments on “Homemade Healthier Marshmallows (gluten-free, dairy-free)” — Add one!

• Marta @ What Should I eat for breakfast today says
    August 1, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

I love mashmellows in my hot chocolate but I don’t want to wait till cold days. My sweet tooth says “I want it!”

• Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts says
    July 30, 2013 @ 3:26 am

We love just about anything cinnamon flavored in this house! These would make fantastic s’mores or rice krispie treats!

• Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} says
    July 29, 2013 @ 4:27 am

What great looking marshmallows! Love the addition of honey. These are a must make and I can only imagine added to a smore!

• Megan says
    July 27, 2013 @ 1:35 pm

I am soooo gonna have to try these!!

• Rose - The Clean Dish says
    July 26, 2013 @ 3:32 pm

Erin! This looks fantastic! I love that you mention arrowroot powder as a substitute.

I haven’t made anything with gelatin (yet) but I guess if you get the “grass-fed” kind, it should be alright (I’m a little creeped out by it, too ;) )

• Carolyn says
    July 26, 2013 @ 2:48 pm

I’ve never been a huge fan of marshmallows but your healthier version seems much better to me! I have no issues with gelatin…

• angela @ another bite please says
    July 25, 2013 @ 3:22 pm

i love the idea of making homemade marshmallows…like you said even with gelatin…your homemade ingredient list is by far much much better then store bought!

• Eat Good 4 Life says
    July 24, 2013 @ 9:39 am

I wonder is these could be made with agar powder instead of gelatin. What a great healthier alternative to marshmallows!!

• Erin replies to Eat Good 4 Life
      July 24, 2013 @ 10:56 am

Someone in the original recipe mentioned that they used vegan gelatin (which I’m assuming was agar) and that they didn’t come out. But she made a few other mistakes that could explain the problem. I always thought that agar and gelatin were interchangeable so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work out!

• laurasmess says
    July 23, 2013 @ 5:47 pm

Wow. I love, love the addition of the cinnamon sugar dusting on the outside. That in itself is enough to convince me that these are worth making! Love the idea of the honey also. Thanks for this beautiful healthier recipe! xx

• Erin replies to laurasmess
      July 24, 2013 @ 10:57 am

I’m happy you like it! And yeah, the cinnamon sugar is awesome. Hope you’ll try them one day! :)

• DessertForTwo
    July 23, 2013 @ 2:36 pm

Wow, I didn’t know you could make ‘natural’ marshmallow. I may have to give these a try! :)

• Erin replies to DessertForTwo
      July 24, 2013 @ 10:58 am

Well, gelatin is really weird and unnatural but these are way better than the ones at the store, at least. ;)

• Laura (Tutti Dolci) says
    July 23, 2013 @ 6:07 am

Cinnamon and honey flavored marshmallows?! Love them! Now all I want to do is use them in s’mores bars :).

• Erin replies to Laura (Tutti Dolci)
      July 24, 2013 @ 11:01 am

Yes! I want to use them in s’mores bars, too. I need to make them again because I messed mine up. Mine melted in the oven and they shouldn’t have. :(

• Becca from Cookie Jar Treats says
    July 23, 2013 @ 6:02 am

I love marshmallows!! I like lightly toasting them to make sure the inside is all gooey and then burning the outside to a crisp! The first and last time I made marshmallows it turned into cement. I’m serious, I could have paved the cracks in the garage floor with the stuff. and then I tried making marshmallow frosting. Boy was that a failure.

But despite my lack of candy making skills, I still want to make marshmallows some day! I will keep these in mind :)

• Erin replies to Becca from Cookie Jar Treats
      July 24, 2013 @ 11:02 am

Haha. Well, cement marshmallows have to be good for something. We just have to find a use for them! ;) And get yourself a candy thermometer before trying these out!

• Julia | JuliasAlbum.com says
    July 23, 2013 @ 5:13 am

It always amazes me when I see homemade marshmallows on food blogs! To me it seems to be such an intimidating task, it would be a long time before I approach marshmallow making from scratch. :) Yours look lovely, and unbelievable that they are also gluten-free and diary-free.

• Erin replies to Julia | JuliasAlbum.com
      July 24, 2013 @ 11:03 am

Thanks, Julia! That’s what I thought when I read the original recipe. It was really long (but also had lots of helpful tips!) but it’s really not that bad. I know you can do it! :)

• jacquie says
    July 23, 2013 @ 5:00 am

making my own marshmallows scares me also but your recipe has me thinking perhaps I should try them. You have solved my issue in terms of all the sugar but the gelatin is something I shy away from also. Do you have a good vegetarian brand that you like?

• Erin replies to jacquie
      July 24, 2013 @ 11:04 am

Gelatin also freaks me out. The original recipe didn’t mention a vegan alternative to gelatin, like agar, but I’m assuming it would work. I’m not 100% positive, though! But there are marshmallows recipes out there using agar. I live in Germany so I’m afraid my brand recommendation won’t help you. Good luck if you decide to try! And please let us know how agar comes out. :)

• The Café Sucré Farine says
    July 23, 2013 @ 2:59 am

I’m so impressed; homemade marshmallows, and healthy ones at that! These look wonderful!

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat says
    July 23, 2013 @ 1:16 am

These sound great and seem to be super easy to put together! I especially love the fact that they’re no artificial or other bad ingredients!

• Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking says
    July 22, 2013 @ 11:54 pm

I love how easy these are, Erin! No scary ingredients or preparations. These would make some killer s’mores, I think!

July 22, 2013 @ 11:45 pm

The coating on these makes them look especially awesome! Yum!

• Kammie @ Sensual Appeal says
    July 22, 2013 @ 10:26 pm

I love marshmallows, this recipe is so awesome. I always see that marshmallows that are packaged have some sort of additives or artificial ingredients I am not fond of. I love this.

• Erin replies to Kammie @ Sensual Appeal
      July 24, 2013 @ 11:06 am

I know! It’s weird stuff in there, isn’t it? So happy that I don’t have to buy marshmallows ever again!