Cranberry Apple Crisp (vegan, dairy-free, whole grain)

This cranberry apple crisp has added pecans in the crisp topping, is 100% whole grain and has vegan and dairy-free options!

After I made that sweet potato mac and cheese on Saturday, I had a weird reaction to the cheddar. I react badly to something in some types of cheddar (I have no idea what) and it seems to give me an instant sinus infection. Fun, right?!

I haven’t had this happen in at least 10 years so I thought I had gotten past it, which explains why I ate half the pot of mac and cheese on Saturday. Whoops.

Cranberry Apple Pecan Crisp {vegan, dairy-free, 100% whole grain}

The only reason why I’m sharing this is because I can’t taste a thing (other than, ironically, vegetables and one type of medicine). Last night I was in a panic over what to make and post today. Normally I wouldn’t care and just take some time off, but with Thanksgiving coming up, I felt compelled to post another Thanksgiving dessert!

Because I didn’t want to post something I couldn’t taste myself, this cranberry apple crisp is a mash-up of two recipes I’ve made in the past. I used a pecan crisp topping from my book and updated a cranberry apple crisp recipe I posted four years ago.

In the filling, I used maple syrup instead of honey to make it vegan, added some cornstarch to make it thicker, and used fewer cranberries. Those things are expensive ’round these parts! And I added more cinnamon in the topping and filling, just because… it’s cinnamon.

Cranberry Apple Pecan Crisp {vegan, dairy-free and 100% whole grain}

There’s quite a bit of topping in this crisp so if you want more fruit, you could easily do 1.5x the amount of fruit filling. You could also add more pecans to the topping, if you’d like. They’re there just to add a little flavor and crunch!

I was seriously so bummed when it was baking. I couldn’t smell anything but according to Mr. Texanerin, it smells and taste fantastic. If you make this and feel something is unbalanced, I’ll forward your complaints to him. ;)

Cranberry Apple Pecan Crisp {vegan, dairy-free, 100% whole grain}

Cranberry Apple Crisp (vegan, 100% whole grain, dairy-free)

• Yield: 6-8 servings

For the topping:

• 1 cup (125 grams) whole wheat or white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup (100 grams) raw sugar or granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 7 tablespoons (98 grams) unsalted butter or 6 tablespoons (84 grams) coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly1
  • 1/2 cup (55 grams) chopped pecans or walnuts
  • For the filling:

• 4 cups (475 grams) peeled and chopped apples (I used Granny Smith and Braeburn)
  • 1 cup (114 grams) fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • pinch of salt

1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C) and grease a 8"x8" (20cm×20 cm) baking dish.
  2. Prepare the topping. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together all of the topping ingredients. It will have the texture of wet sand.
  3. Prepare the filling. In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the filling ingredients. Spoon the fruit mixture into the prepared pan and distribute the topping evenly over the top.
  4. Place the crisp on a baking sheet to catch spills and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the topping is firm and the edges are bubbly. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve warm or room temperature. Can sit at room temperature, covered, for 1 day or refrigerated for up to 3 days.

1. I used refined coconut oil, which doesn't have any coconut taste to it. If you use unrefined coconut oil, this may have some coconut flavor to it.
  • For vegan and dairy-free: Use coconut oil.

Recipe by  |

42 comments on “Cranberry Apple Crisp (vegan, dairy-free, whole grain)” — Add one!

• Nutmeg Nanny says
    November 25, 2015 @ 6:08 am

What a fabulous looking crisp! I hope you start to feel better soon. I have been fighting a cold for almost 2 weeks now and I’m just ready to breath again!

• Kim Beaulieu says
    November 25, 2015 @ 5:14 am

I can’t imagine not being able to taste anything. That is horrible. Hope the infection clears up quickly. I feel for you.

And apple crisp is my all time favourite recipe. This looks amazing!

• Rose | The Clean Dish says
    November 23, 2015 @ 3:02 am

I’m not really an apple crisp fan but adding cranberry to it sounds exciting! Sorry you had a reaction got your mac and cheese. Such good comfort food!

• Michelle @ The Complete Savorist says
    November 21, 2015 @ 8:31 am

Erin, I am so sorry to hear you aren’t well at the moment and to know cheddar is the reason is just doubly sad. Hope you are felling better soon. I really like that you have combined apples and cranberry. I adore cranberries and am always happy this time of year when they are aplenty.

• Heather | All Roads Lead to the Kitchen says
    November 21, 2015 @ 3:41 am

Well, it definitely looks amazing! Cranberries and apples are the perfect combo for this time of year. I’d love big serving (warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, please). Hope you’re feeling better soon!

• Erin replies to Heather | All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
      November 23, 2015 @ 5:34 pm

I bet I would have loved this with ice cream, too! But I wasn’t about to make or buy ice cream when I couldn’t even taste it. ;) And thanks a bunch!

• Carrie @Frugal Foodie Mama says
    November 20, 2015 @ 8:53 pm

I just love a good apple crisp! I love that this one is a bit healthier and that you added cranberries to the mix- sounds delicious! :)

• Brenda@SugarfreeMom says
    November 20, 2015 @ 8:23 pm

So sorry about your reaction to cheddar. I have had that happen with regular yogurt and consistenly got sinus infections too so I stopped dairy all together, this was like 12 years ago. I now can do some greek yogurt here and there and some cheeses but not too much. We each ahve our own tolerance level I suppose. Hope you’re on the mend now and this dessert looks great!

• Erin replies to Brenda@SugarfreeMom
      November 23, 2015 @ 5:32 pm

Aah! Someone who knows what I mean. People give me the strangest look when I tell them that it’s all a reaction to eating cheese. And thanks so much! I am feeling a little better. :) It’s good that you can have a little yogurt and cheese every now and then. I can do without yogurt but cheese?! Nope. ;)

• Angie | Big Bear's Wife says
    November 20, 2015 @ 4:55 pm

Oh my gosh! An instant sinus infection from cheddar? That’s awful! :( I had one a few weeks ago and I couldn’t taste anything either! Hope it clears up soon! Fantastic Crisp though!

• Erin replies to Angie | Big Bear’s Wife
      November 23, 2015 @ 5:31 pm

Isn’t it terrible?! I haven’t had this happen since I was a kid. So frustrating! I just want to taste something other than awful, bitter veggies. ;)

• Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet says
    November 20, 2015 @ 4:55 pm

Apple crisp is an all-time family favorite and I’ll definitely have to try this version with cranberries for the holidays, yummy!

• Lauren Kelly Nutrition says
    November 20, 2015 @ 3:34 pm

Oh Erin, I can always count on your for a delicious and healthy dessert! LOVE this!

• Martha @ A Family Feast says
    November 20, 2015 @ 3:12 pm

Feel better soon Erin! Especially so you can enjoy this amazing dessert! I love the tart cranberry flavor against the sweet apple…

• Erin replies to Martha @ A Family Feast
      November 23, 2015 @ 5:29 pm

Thank you! And I saved a tiny plate in the fridge for me to try once I can taste again. :)

• Jenny | Honey and Birch says
    November 20, 2015 @ 3:05 pm

I hope you feel better soon! And I’m sure Mr. Texanerin is right and this tastes wonderful, cause it sure looks delicious!!

• Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction says
    November 20, 2015 @ 2:59 pm

I hope you feel better soon! I’ve been fighting some really bad head congestion this past week and had to have my husband taste test everything to make sure I wasn’t overdoing the spices! :) Love the addition of cranberries to apple crisp!

• Erin replies to Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction
      November 23, 2015 @ 5:29 pm

Aww. I hope you’re feeling better! And good thing for husbands and their taste-testing abilities. Too bad mine’s now sick! There goes my recipe tester. ;)

• Medeja says
    November 20, 2015 @ 9:03 am

Cranberry and apple! Yummy! Great combination.

• Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts says
    November 20, 2015 @ 4:00 am

I hope you are feeling better. I can’t imagine having a reaction to some kinds of cheese! This crisp sounds amazing. I love apple crisp, adding the cranberries sounds wonderful!

• Amanda | The Chunky Chef says
    November 20, 2015 @ 3:18 am

This sounds right up my alley!! Makes me want to run out and grab some cranberries ;) Hope you feel better!

• Sharon @ What The Fork Food Blog@ says
    November 19, 2015 @ 10:36 pm

Yum, love the cranberries! I’ve got 11 bags in my fridge right now so I’m pretty much making cranberry everything at the moment 😂😁

• Michelle | A Dish of Daily Life says
    November 19, 2015 @ 6:45 pm

My kids LOVE apple crisp…my mother in law always makes it for them, but maybe I’ll surprise everyone this Thanksgiving. The addition of cranberries sounds perfect to me!

• Erin R says
    November 7, 2014 @ 5:40 am

Hi Erin, would it be just as good if I just used regular white flour? And how many servings do you get out of this? I’m wondering if I should double the recipe for Thanksgiving, we’re going to have around 20 people.

• Erin replies to Erin R
      November 7, 2014 @ 8:51 pm

Hi, Erin! I’d say it yields about 8-10 servings. Doubling it for a 9×13 pan for 20 should be fine (assuming that there will be other desserts and people aren’t going to take a huge portion). I haven’t tried it with all-purpose flour but I’m assuming it’d work (though I can’t guarantee it). I hope you’ll enjoy it if you try it! :)

• Iamonewithmuchope says
    December 2, 2011 @ 3:37 am

Oh yum! I have 2 bags of cranberries in my freezer. This is perfect. I'm printing it right now!! :)

Come check out my blog if you get a spare moment. I have a giveaway going on…

• Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living says
    December 1, 2011 @ 10:17 pm

This sounds beyond fantastic! Definitely my kind of dessert… or breakfast ;).

December 1, 2011 @ 9:07 pm

warmvanillasugar – For me it's usually kind of boring but I think the cranberries make it so much better!

Cookie and Kate – Thanks! I'm happy someone is still into baking with cranberries. I thought perhaps I had been too late with it being after Thanksgiving and all.

Nicole – Thanks a bunch! You should definitely get your hands on some cranberries before they're gone and bake something with them. It's a nice change. :)

• Nicole says
    December 1, 2011 @ 5:09 am

I haven't recently eaten cranberries in desserts, so I'm not overwhelmed in the least… I would love some, though! Beautiful dessert and photos!

• Cookie and Kate says
    December 1, 2011 @ 4:25 am

I am SO INTO baking with cranberries right now! So tart and sweet and delicious. Your crisp looks incredible!

• warmvanillasugar says
    November 30, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

Apple crisp is one of my favorite desserts of all time! Love how you added cranberry in this recipe and made it whole grain!