I was so excited to create and share my healthier Thanksgiving recipes, but there simply wasn’t time to do everything I had in mind. This is the last thing that I’ll able to share before the big day. So happy Thanksgiving! Happy Thursday to everyone else. :)
This cake is in no way healthy. But have you ever had Paula Deen’s pumpkin gooey butter cake? It’s worth all the butter and sugar.
This version doesn’t use a cake mix, it’s whole grain and it uses a little less sugar, so I guess it’s an improvement at least.
Here you can see the gooeyness. This is way better than pumpkin pie. No pesky crust to get in the way.
100% Whole Grain Gooey Pumpkin Butter Cake
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready in:
- Yield: 16 servings
- 2 cups (260 grams) whole spelt, whole wheat pastry, or whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (200 grams) unrefined sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter (113 grams / 1 stick), melted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese (225 grams), softened – can be 1/3 fat
- 1 15-ounce can (425 grams) of pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup (113 grams / 1 stick) butter, melted
- 10 ounces powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
Cream cheese layer:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F / 175°C and lightly grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- Stir together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Add the egg, melted butter and milk and mix on low. It will be very thick.
- Spread it out evenly over the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Mix the cream cheese and pumpkin together on medium for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Then add the eggs, vanilla and melted butter and mix on medium until the batter is well combined.
- Add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and mix until completely combined and smooth.
- Pour this batter on the top of the bottom layer.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes. Be careful not to overbake! It’ll look like it’s not done, but it really is.