These cinnamon sugar pumpkin donut holes are paleo, grain-free, gluten-free and dairy-free. Can also be made as regular muffins.

I haven’t been feeling the pumpkin love at all this year. I don’t know what happened but I’m just not excited about it. And it doesn’t help that we don’t have canned pumpkin in Germany. I either have to make homemade pumpkin puree, which I won’t do because moisture content varies too much and I never know how much liquid to drain, or buy imported canned pumpkin from the American section of a department store. For about $4.50 a can. I typically make a recipe several times before posting it and spending $18 on just the pumpkin for one recipe? Eh. I’ll pass.

Paleo Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Donut Holes {grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free}

So for this recipe, I took a short-cut. I adapted my pumpkin spice latte Nutella muffins and made them into the gluten-free pumpkin donut holes that I posted over on My Baking Addiction earlier in the week! I didn’t have to go through my precious cans of pumpkin and y’all get a pumpkin recipe. It’s a win-win for everyone! :)

If you don’t have a mini muffin pan, these can be made as 16 regular muffins and baked for 13-16 minutes. It doesn’t work quite as well in bread form. I tried! It rises nice and high and then kerplunks. It’s pretty sad.

Paleo Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Donut Holes {gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free}

I’ve seen a lot of recipes where you dip the donut holes in butter first before dipping them in the cinnamon sugar, but when I tried this, the donut holes sucked up so much butter and were so wet that I had to use a ton of sugar to get them properly rolled. It tasted amazing so feel free to do that if you don’t mind a ton of extra sugar. :) I’m thinking it’s perhaps a grain-free thing. I never had that issue with whole wheat goodies!

I have two more cans of pumpkin left and am very carefully planning what to do with them! What’s your favorite pumpkin recipe?

Paleo Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Donut Holes {dairy-free, grain-free, gluten-free}

Looking for more paleo treats perfect for fall?

• Paleo Vegan Apple Crisp
  • Paleo Vegan Vanilla Sauce
  • Paleo Apple Muffins

Pumpkin Donut Holes (paleo, grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free)

• Yield: 30 donut holes

For the donut holes:

• 1/2 cup (66 grams) coconut flour
  • 3/4 cup (75 grams) almond flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 large eggs, room temperature
  • 7 tablespoons (98 grams) unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (120 grams) canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • For the cinnamon sugar:

• 1/3 cup (67 grams) coconut sugar or granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Line a mini muffin pan with 24 muffin liners.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (coconut flour through salt).
  3. In a separate medium bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (eggs through vanilla).
  4. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir just until combined.
  5. Pour the batter evenly into the muffin liners, filling each liner until almost completely full. You'll likely have enough batter for another six donut holes.
  6. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. These need to rest for at least an hour before serving, both because of taste and texture.
  7. When ready to serve, mix the cinnamon with the sugar in a small bowl. Roll the donut holes in the cinnamon sugar. As these donut holes are quite moist, the cinnamon sugar tends to liquify overnight, which is why it's recommended to roll the donuts in the sugar no more than 8 hours before serving.
  8. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

Notes

• For paleo, use coconut sugar and coconut oil.
  • For dairy-free, use coconut oi.

Source: My post on My Baking Addiction – Gluten-free Pumpkin Donut Holes

173 comments on “Paleo Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Donut Holes (grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free option)” — Add one!

1 comment is awaiting moderation!

• Kristy Sweet says
    September 17, 2017 @ 5:00 am

I was wondering if you had ever tried freezing any of this recipe? I know you mentioned the time frames for keeping in an container or in the fridge, just wondering if I made them in advance of company coming and froze them a head of time and then did the rolling in the cinnamon/sugar after they are thawed and before I serve them?

• Erin replies to Kristy Sweet
      September 17, 2017 @ 7:39 pm

I would do it exactly as you said! I’ve never tried it but I think it’d work well. Hope you’ll enjoy them! :)

• Kassia Ulffers says
    September 17, 2017 @ 2:59 am

These are delicious!
    I make regular sized muffins with no liners and just sprayed the pan. Cooked for about 20 minutes.
    I made a cream cheese frosting. (I know that makes it non-paleo) 😬 Instead of doing the sugar coating .
    But so good.

• Erin replies to Kassia Ulffers
      September 17, 2017 @ 7:40 pm

Cream cheese frosting is so darn good on pumpkin goodies! I’ll have to try it on these. So happy you liked them! Thanks for sharing your tips on making them regular sized. :)

• Kimberly Rodriguez says
    September 14, 2017 @ 6:54 am

Delicious!Followed recipe as written and they came out moist and Yummy! Used nonstick spray in mini muffin pan instead of paper liners and they slid right out! Great recipe!

• Erin replies to Kimberly Rodriguez
      September 17, 2017 @ 7:33 pm

That’s good to know that they’ll slide right out that way! Thanks for the tip. :) I’m so happy you liked them!

• Ami says
    September 5, 2017 @ 7:07 pm

Did anyone get nutrition info…? I can’t get it to work…thanks! They were delicious!! My first paleo, gluten/grain/dairy free item I’ve made

• Erin replies to Ami
      September 6, 2017 @ 8:13 pm

So happy you liked them! Many of my readers like using Calorie Count to figure out the nutritional profile. I hope that’ll work for you! Thanks for your comment. :)

• Meg says
    August 12, 2017 @ 5:06 pm

How many Carbs do these have ? I am trying to get on the KETO (have to watch carbs!)diet but these look delicious!

• Erin replies to Meg
      August 13, 2017 @ 8:24 am

I don’t have that info but you can copy and paste the recipe here for the nutritional profile, if you’d like. :)

• Cyndi replies to Meg
      August 13, 2017 @ 6:55 pm

This would not be keto friendly the way it’s written. Substitute swerve for the sugar/ brown sugar. That would Chang the recipe considerable too. Great recipe, just not keto.

• Jay says
    August 12, 2017 @ 6:00 am

How is this paleo if you used refined sugar?

• Erin replies to Jay
      August 12, 2017 @ 8:30 am

The recipe specifically states to use coconut sugar for paleo.

• Brenda says
    August 12, 2017 @ 2:08 am

These were a big hit. Have had requests to make again!

• Erin replies to Brenda
      August 12, 2017 @ 8:32 am

Awesome! So happy to hear that. Thanks for your comment! :)

• Deb says
    May 28, 2017 @ 3:33 pm

Hi. Can these be made without the pumpkin puree?

• Erin replies to Deb
      May 28, 2017 @ 8:11 pm

Hi! I’m afraid not. Sorry about that!

• Dawn replies to Erin
        August 17, 2017 @ 8:38 pm

I would imagine you could use butternut squash puree, sweet potato puree or carrot puree.

• Rachel replies to Deb
      July 22, 2017 @ 5:02 am

My husband is allergic to almonds 😟. What can be substituted?? Thanks!

• Erin replies to Rachel
        July 22, 2017 @ 9:52 am

Another type of nut flour would work. If he can’t have nuts, I’ve heard of people using sunflower seed flour as a sub but I’ve never tried it and have no idea if it’d work here. Sorry about that!

• Brenda replies to Rachel
        August 12, 2017 @ 2:09 am

I used oat flour since I was out of almond flour and it worked just fine.

• Erin replies to Brenda
          August 12, 2017 @ 8:32 am

Did you use the same amount (3/4 cup)? Thanks for sharing your sub! I hope you enjoyed them. :)

• Vicky says
    May 24, 2017 @ 7:24 pm

These were amazing! My kids said they would love to have these every morning for breakfast.

• Erin replies to Vicky
      May 26, 2017 @ 10:43 pm

Haha. So would I! ;) I’m so happy that they enjoyed them. Thanks for your comment!

• Sara Lamberto
    May 23, 2017 @ 3:28 pm

Do you think this could work well as a loaf recipe? Ideas for ballpark cooking time?

• Erin replies to Sara Lamberto
      May 23, 2017 @ 5:23 pm

I’ve tried it and it didn’t work out well at all. Sometimes muffin recipes just don’t convert well to a loaf pan. Sorry about that!

• Sara
    April 21, 2017 @ 6:50 pm

Hi, there! I made these yesterday because I had a major sweet tooth and they turned out amazing! I didn’t have a mini muffin pan, so I just made them in a regular muffin pan but made 12, instead of 16. I cooked them for about 5 minutes more than your suggested 16 minutes. I know one reviewer commented on their muffins sticking to the liners – I use these muffin liners that have foil on the outside and paper on the inside, and mine did not stick.

Also, the coconut sugar/cinnamon didn’t really adhere to my muffins, so I brushed melted ghee on top, then dipped in the coconut sugar/cinnamon combo, and it was delicious (also, I didn’t have to coat them in extra coconut sugar/cinnamon!) I LOVE the consistency of the cupcakes – lots of times, Paleo/gluten-free treats just don’t have the same consistency as regular gluten treats but I have to say that the consistency of these muffins were right on!

Thank you for a wonderful recipe and for offering Paleo options!

• Erin replies to Sara
      April 22, 2017 @ 9:19 pm

Hi Sara! Thanks for sharing your tips on how to make them as regular-sized muffins. And great to know that you didn’t have an issue with the muffins sticking to your liners! And woohoo on the texture. :D I’m with you – a lot of paleo cakes / muffins can have such a funky texture! I’m so happy you liked these. Thanks again for your feedback!

• Lzz says
    March 23, 2017 @ 3:15 pm

Question… I have 2 friends. One is GF/Vegan (can have eggs in baked goods, though), the other is allergic to coconut oil. I want to make something that they can both eat. Do you have a suggestion for something to substitute the coconut flour/oil/sugar?

Thank you!

• Erin replies to Lzz
      March 23, 2017 @ 3:32 pm

Hello! There are subs for the coconut oil and sugar but coconut flour is unfortunately not interchangeable with any other flour as it absorbs so much more liquid. Sorry about that!

• Sarah Irick says
    March 5, 2017 @ 6:47 am

Does it really only keep for 2 days?

• Erin replies to Sarah Irick
      March 5, 2017 @ 8:25 pm

You could keep them for a few more days in the fridge.

• Angela
    February 19, 2017 @ 5:18 pm

You, my dear, are my newest best baking friend. I just made these as muffins this morning, and WOW!! They are moist and delicious. I’ve been looking for good paleo recipes so I don’t have to miss out on baked treats, and also trying to cut the sugar consumption in our home, and this is perfect. I’m not diabetic, but I’m working to keep from getting there. I mentioned on your FB post for the chocolate chip cookies that I substituted the brown sugar with the Truvia brown sugar blend. I did the same with this recipe. I used the Truvia/honey blend in place of the maple syrup and the Truvia brown sugar blend in place of the brown sugar. They turned out great–even my children said they’re delicious. (Although I didn’t really want to share them!). I was able to fit it all into 12 muffin cups and baked them just a few minutes longer. Now, we’re having fun looking at all of the yummy paleo recipes on your site. I think I’m going to try the lemon cookies next. Thank you so much!!

• Erin replies to Angela
      February 20, 2017 @ 10:37 pm

Thanks for the tip on how to make these lower-carb! People always ask and I’m clueless. I’m sorry you had to share with your kids. ;) I hope you’ll enjoy the lemon cookies and thanks a bunch for your comment! :)

• Amanda L says
    February 7, 2017 @ 3:57 am

Can I use just almond flour instead of both almond & coconut? I just don’t like the consistency of coconut flour…
    Has anyone tried just almond?
    Thanks in advance!

• Erin replies to Amanda L
      February 7, 2017 @ 2:26 pm

Coconut flour is unfortunately not interchangeable with any other flour as it absorbs so much more liquid. I’ve tried these donuts without the coconut flour and they just don’t work. Sorry about that! If it helps, I don’t like the texture of coconut flour based treats but combined with almond flour, it’s different. :)

• Amanda replies to Erin
        February 8, 2017 @ 1:08 am

Thank you so much! I will give them a whirl with the coconut flour in it anyway :)

• Erin replies to Amanda
          February 8, 2017 @ 1:24 pm

You’re welcome! Hope you’ll enjoy them. :)

• Kerry says
    January 31, 2017 @ 9:19 pm

These look super yummy! Can I make them in a mini muffin pan that’s silicone without liners?

• Erin replies to Kerry
      February 1, 2017 @ 8:16 pm

Thanks! I don’t have any experience with silicone pans so I have no idea. Do you normally do that? Hope you’ll enjoy them!

• keri says
    January 27, 2017 @ 2:20 am

these are delicious! I haven’t even tried them with the cinnamon sugar, they are so yummy!!! Thank you for sharing =)

• Erin replies to keri
      January 28, 2017 @ 11:30 am

Awesome! So happy that you like them. :) Thanks for your comment!

• aimee says
    January 26, 2017 @ 6:13 am

this looks so delish! when you commented the recipe doesn’t work in bread form does that mean i should not try to bake it in a baking dish, because it only works in muffin tins?
    aimee

• Erin replies to aimee
      January 26, 2017 @ 8:28 pm

Thanks! You can bake it in a cake pan (like a round 8″ or 9″ cake pan) but I don’t recommend using a loaf pan. I’ve tried and it doesn’t work out well.

• Sarah
    ♥♥♥♥
    November 17, 2016 @ 12:07 pm

Hey Erin, I live in Germany too, and have been happy to see Hokkaido pumpkins everywhere. I make my own puree in the Instant Pot (but it would also work great in the oven). Just cook the pumpkin, pop out the seeds, and puree with a stick blender. BTW, this recipe looks yummy! It might be cheaper as well.

• Erin replies to Sarah
      November 18, 2016 @ 9:40 pm

Hey there! My issue with homemade puree is that the water content always varies and I don’t like variation in baking. ;) In canned pumpkin, it’s always the same and so more reliable. I’ll keep buying the cans at 3.29 from Kaufhof, although it’s kind of painful! (they’re $1 on sale in the US). I hope you get the chance to try these!

• Sarah replies to Erin
        November 18, 2016 @ 10:30 pm

Ah, I get it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen pumpkin purée in Heidelberg! Although I don’t go into Kaufhof very often I must admit l.

• Erin replies to Sarah
          November 19, 2016 @ 9:25 pm

It’s in the American section! It’s Libby’s brand. :)

• Lauren says
    November 5, 2016 @ 10:24 pm

I’m new to baking with coconut oil…I am using the solid form, is that 7 tbsp of the solid oil (then melted) or 7 tbsp of the melted oil? Hope that makes sense!

• Erin replies to Lauren
      November 5, 2016 @ 10:27 pm

It does make sense! And it’s the same, so you can measure it solid or melted. :) Hope you’ll enjoy the donuts!

• Lauren replies to Erin
        November 5, 2016 @ 10:36 pm

I seem to have the same issue as the commenter below-the muffins really stuck to the liners. I’m sure they’ll still be tasty, just not so pretty looking as yours :)

• Erin replies to Lauren
          November 6, 2016 @ 9:34 am

Hmm. I’m stumped. Sometimes, muffins stick to the liners but I don’t recall this recipe being like that. Next time, you could just spray the pan with baking spray (if you use that) or grease the pan with some coconut oil. :)

• Carrie says
    November 3, 2016 @ 3:58 pm

How do you keep the muffins from completely sticking to the muffin liners?

• Erin replies to Carrie
      November 4, 2016 @ 1:04 pm

I haven’t had that issue with these (and nobody’s mentioned that yet) so maybe it’s your liners. I have some liners where some recipes stick and some liners where those same recipes don’t stick. Or did you make any subs?

• Susan replies to Erin
        November 6, 2016 @ 2:17 am

instead of liners, could we spray the 24 mini muffin holes with nonstick spray?

• Erin replies to Susan
          November 6, 2016 @ 9:32 am

Yes! That should work.

• Maggie Swoveland says
    October 30, 2016 @ 11:24 am

Can I use G.F. All-Purpose flour instead?

• Erin replies to Maggie Swoveland
      October 30, 2016 @ 11:29 am

GF 1-to-1 flour mixes are only interchangeable with wheat-based recipes and not almond flour + coconut flour recipes. If it’s meant as a sub for AP flour, then your mix should work well in my pumpkin donut holes, which are wheat-based. :)