When Regan posted these donuts nine weeks ago, I asked my parents to send me some dried blueberries since they don’t seem to exist in Germany.
I only received them yesterday, which happened to be days after finding Trader Joe’s dried blueberries at Aldi. I bought 14 bags. Gosh darn you, German Aldi, for deciding to bring dried blueberries to Germany days before I received my package.
I mean, my package could have been filled with sprinkles or cupcake liners or Reese’s or something and instead, I get a 15th bag of dried blueberries. Oh well. Too many blueberries is better than not enough. :)
The first and only thing I’ve made so far with my collection are these donuts. They’re fluffier than a normal cake donut and probably more muffin than donut, but that’s okay. They’re still awesome.
I normally glaze my donuts but I was feeling particularly lazy and just powdered them with a bit of powdered sugar. They were still sweet enough! And if you don’t have dried blueberries, I’m sure fresh blueberries would work too. I’d use maybe 3/4 cup.
I changed a few things in the recipe. I normally end up eating my baked goods alone, so I only made 6 donuts instead of 12. And I made things a bit more lemony because, yeah, I just don’t like the whole grain flavor too much. If you want to make 12, this recipe can be easily doubled.
For a gluten-free summery donut, try these strawberry baked donuts!
100% Whole Grain Lemon Blueberry Doughnuts
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready in:
- Yield: 6 donuts
- 3/4 cup (177 ml) water
- 1 1/2 ounces (43 grams) dried blueberries1
- 3/4 cup (90 grams) whole spelt, whole wheat pastry, or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- zest of one lemon
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Simmer the water and blueberries in a small saucepan until all the water has been absorbed by the blueberries, which will take about 15 – 20 minutes. Set aside and cool.
- While the berries are cooling, preheat your oven to 350 ºF / 175 ºC and grease a donut pan.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, honey, lemon zest, egg, oil, buttermilk and lemon extract.
- Add the dry mix to the wet mix and stir, but just until combined.
- Fold in the blueberries. The mixture will be very runny!
- Pour into the six donut molds. My mixture went almost all the way to the top.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the donuts cool for about five minutes in the pan and then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar if you like before serving.
- My blueberries are sweetened. If you’re using unsweetened blueberries, I suggest adding an extra 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar.
Recipe adapted from Whole Wheat Blueberry Powdered Donuts – The Professional Palate