100% Whole Grain Cinnamon Apple Muffins

These cinnamon apple muffins are 100% whole grain and made healthier with whole wheat flour, oil, and less sugar than a typical muffin!

I’ve made these six times in the last few weeks as cake, cupcakes, and muffins. SIX times. I’m pretty new to this recipe development thing and I’m guessing it just takes some time at the beginning! So now that I finally have the recipe perfect (at least in my opinion ;)) these apple muffins are ready to be shared!

You can leave these cinnamon apple muffins plain, with no topping at all, or sprinkle cinnamon sugar or streusel on top. My favorite way was with cinnamon sugar. It’s sweet enough, easier, and I love the crunch. And it’s way healthier than with streusel!

Cinnamon Apple Muffins – made healthier with whole grains, oil and less sugar! | texanerin.com

In one variation, I left out the nutmeg and allspice. Do not do that! They tasted olive oily, which isn’t exactly what I want to taste when eating apple muffins, so don’t forget the spices! And instead of yogurt, I used buttermilk a few times. Vanilla yogurt would work too. The muffins will just be a little sweeter.

Strangely enough, these are moister on the second day, although nothing beats piping hot from the oven. But I love it when things turn out better on the second day! If I’m having people over for breakfast, I make it hard on myself and get up super early because I want the baked goods to be as fresh as possible. That’s definitely not necessary with these! Woohoo.

If you’re thinking you’d like a more sinful apple muffin, try these apple strudel muffins! I’ve made them before and they’re awesome. :) I have to say, though, I enjoy these healthier apple muffins just as much! They’re just a little different.

I’m so ready for pumpkin season! Are there any pumpkin goodies would you like to see healthified?

Cinnamon Apple Muffins (100% whole grain)

100% Whole Grain Cinnamon Apple Muffins

• 1 cup (180 grams) peeled and chopped apple, preferably from baking apples
  • For the topping:

• ⅓ cup (45 grams) whole spelt, whole wheat pastry, or whole wheat flour
  • ½ cup (100 grams) unrefined brown sugar, or normal brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons (30 grams) melted butter
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F / 175°C. Line a muffin tin with 8 muffin liners.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
  3. In another bowl, whisk the egg. Add the honey, olive oil and vanilla. It might look a little weird at first; just keep stirring until it’s well combined, and then add the yogurt or buttermilk.
  4. Add the flour mix to the wet mix. It just needs to be combined, so be careful not to overmix. Then fold in the apples. Fill the liners with the batter, filling almost all the way to the top. You could get more out of these if you want to make them smaller. Just take them out a little earlier.
  5. Combine the streusel ingredients. If you don’t want to make the streusel, add some cinnamon sugar (1 tablespoon unrefined or brown sugar + 1 teaspoon cinnamon) to the top of the muffins. It adds a wonderful crust and a little extra sweetness.
  6. Bake for about 15 – 17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  7. Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
  8. When the muffins are completely cooled, place them in an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 4 days. Anything past that, store in the refrigerator.

42 comments on “100% Whole Grain Cinnamon Apple Muffins” — Add one!

• vanessa says
    September 3, 2014 @ 3:59 pm

They were delicious!

• Erin replies to vanessa
      September 3, 2014 @ 6:18 pm

So happy that you enjoyed them! Thanks for the feedback. :)

• Ramona says
    July 20, 2014 @ 3:05 am

HI I just made your muffins and they were amazingly fabulous! I did not have an egg though so I substituted with apple cider vinegar and I accidentally put 1 teaspoon of baking soda in as I read your recipe wrong, then I added a teaspoon of baking powder as well. They were incredibly light and fluffy, so not sure if this is because of the baking soda. Loved the honey and yoghurt! thanks for sharing a great recipe without loads of sugar.

• Erin replies to Ramona
      July 20, 2014 @ 9:31 am

Haha. Well I’m happy they came out! I didn’t know about using apple cider vinegar as a sub for egg. Good to know! I’ll have to try these with your changes and see how they compare. :) Thanks so much for your feedback!

• Jasmine says
    July 1, 2014 @ 6:33 am

I just made these for my 10 month old twins snacks… I don’t know how many they will be getting they are just so delicious! I used coconut oil and replaced the honey with maple syrup = WINNER! Next time I will use a little bit less nutmeg and I think they will be perfect for us :) Thank you so much for sharing!

• Erin replies to Jasmine
      July 1, 2014 @ 9:51 pm

Haha. I hope your little ones ended up getting some of the muffins! ;) And great to know that these work with coconut oil and maple syrup. I think I’ll try that in the fall! Thanks so much for the idea and for the feedback. :)

• Melissa
    June 27, 2014 @ 8:13 pm

Hi there! I’m not vegan but I avoid dairy when I can. I used hemp milk and they turned out amazing. I also subbed coconut oil. These are by far the best I’ve made. Thank you so much for the recipe!

• Erin replies to Melissa
      July 1, 2014 @ 12:16 pm

Wow. I’m so happy that you liked them! Thanks so much for the feedback and for letting me know that hemp milk and coconut oil work. :)

• Marsha brown
    March 21, 2014 @ 10:27 pm

Erin, these muffins are fabulous. I used oat flour (ground up porridge oats) and used coconut oil and vanilla yoghurt. I used the same quantities as suggested as well as all other ingredients as described. I have tried various recipes and this is the best I found so far. Loving your work. Marsha.

• Erin replies to Marsha brown
      March 22, 2014 @ 5:55 pm

Wow! All oat flour? That’s great! I love oat flour but find that the lack of gluten sometimes makes it difficult to do 100% oat flour. Stuff just gets too crumbly. Thanks so much for the tip and for the feedback! So happy you liked the muffins. :)

• Marsha replies to Erin
        March 23, 2014 @ 9:01 pm

Ah, I didn’t mention that, yes they are a little crumbly. However, I don’t mind that cos it is only a little and as they taste so nice I’m prepared to up with that. I use oat flour in all my baking as I’m on a wheat free diet and this seems healthier than gluten free alternative flour. I’m ready to make my next batch! Thanks again.

• Erin replies to Marsha
          March 24, 2014 @ 12:19 pm

I’m happy that they weren’t too crumbly! And I agree that oat flour is definitely a better alternative to GF baking mixes. :) Thanks again for the feedback!

• Emily
    February 26, 2014 @ 2:14 am

These are SO yummy!!! Even my 2 year old daughter has eaten two and she dosent eat much. My husband has been raving about them all day.

• Erin replies to Emily
      February 26, 2014 @ 8:08 pm

I’m so happy that you and your family enjoyed them, Emily! I have a picky eater in my family, too, so I know what that’s like. ;) Thanks a bunch for the feedback and the rating!

• Cliona says
    December 8, 2013 @ 8:58 pm

Hi there,

I love this recipe, I’ve used it with oat flour as I like that and it works really well as well.

Would it work to just double the recipe to make more? I was just wondering if it would make a difference as I know ‘not over-mixing’ was important for example.

Love the site. Dairy free/gluten free recipes very welcome!
    Thanks

• Erin replies to Cliona
      December 8, 2013 @ 9:02 pm

Hi, Cliona! I’m happy you liked the recipe. :) Doubling it won’t be a problem! It should work just fine but like you said, remember not to overmix. :) Thanks for your comment! I’ll try to post more GF / DF recipes soon. I’ve been lacking in that department recently.

• Susan
    October 22, 2013 @ 7:35 pm

I just made these with my kids, and everybody loves them! We used a bit less honey than called for and skipped the topping, and they were still great. This is a recipe we will keep.

• Erin replies to Susan
      October 25, 2013 @ 8:43 pm

Hi, Susan! Sorry for the slow reply. I’m so happy that you and the kids liked the muffins! And it’s great that they still came out with less honey. :) Thanks so much for the feedback and the rating!

• Claudia says
    October 17, 2013 @ 3:59 pm

I’m baking apple muffins for the first time and looked for a healthy recipe. Yours seem what I want except that I would like to add walnuts ;)
    What are tour thoughts on that? Should I just add some chopped walnuts (like 1/2 or 3/4 cup) or would you make other changes in the recipe?
    Thanks a lot!

• Erin replies to Claudia
      October 17, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

No other changes are needed. Maybe 1/2 cup (chopped) in the batter and some more on top? Sounds yummy! I hope you’ll enjoy them. :)

• Claudia
        replies to Erin
        October 19, 2013 @ 8:47 pm

Thanks so much, Erin! I’ll let you know how it goes ;)
        This is a basic question really… Do I sprinkle the sugar+cinnamon on top of the batter when it is already in the pan or do I mix it with the batter before filling the pan?
        Thanks again!

• Erin replies to Claudia
          October 19, 2013 @ 8:52 pm

No problem! :) And you should sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top the batter when it’s already in the pan. Good luck with your muffin making! :)

• Claudia
        replies to Erin
        October 20, 2013 @ 4:23 am

Dear Erin,
        I had to ask my husband to hide the rest of the muffins from me! :D That’s how I summarize the outcome of my baking today ;)
        We are still licking our fingers!!! These muffins are simply delicious and healthy! Even though I was a little hesitant to screw the recipe combining too many ingredients/flavors, I did add 1/2 a cup of chopped walnuts, as well as crushed walnuts to te cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top, and I’m SO GLAD I did! No doubt honey, yogurt and those exact spices are the ‘magic ingredients’!
        I’m curious to see how they will taste tomorrow!
        Thanks so much!

• Erin replies to Claudia
          October 20, 2013 @ 1:01 pm

Aww, yay! So happy that you liked them and that the walnut addition worked out! Thanks so much for coming back to tell me how they were. You made my day! :) By the way, I have my husband “hide” baked goods, too, but all he does is put them in his office. On his desk. He’s an awful hider!

• Kristina
    October 10, 2013 @ 5:23 am

These are delicious!!! I didn’t make the topping but I did sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon on top and they are perfect. I have to go hide them from my boyfriend now. :)

• Erin replies to Kristina
      October 11, 2013 @ 6:41 pm

Yay! So happy that you liked the muffins. I hope that your boyfriend got at least half of one. ;) Thanks so much for the feedback and the rating!

• Heather R says
    January 22, 2013 @ 7:32 pm

These muffins are so moist and delicious! I can already tell I'll be making these a lot. Thank you!

• Erin replies to Heather R
      January 23, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

Yay! I'm happy that they worked out for you. Thanks for the feedback. :)

• afracooking says
    December 16, 2012 @ 11:39 pm

Oh – these muffins turned out so wonderful!!!! I had to share the recipe on my blog. Thank you so much for sharing!! (they are so moist and light and at the same time so full of spice and character)

• Erin replies to afracooking
      December 19, 2012 @ 8:31 am

Sorry for the slow reply! Just got back from vacation. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the muffins! You've made my day. :) Thanks a bunch for the feedback and happy holiday baking to you. :)

• Anonymous says
    September 30, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

This may be a silly question but when you mention yogurt, do you mean just plain yogurt? Which would you recommend more-plain or vanilla? Thanks!
    -LC

• Erin replies to Anonymous
      September 30, 2012 @ 8:56 pm

It's not silly at all! It's a good question. I used plain yogurt but I imagine vanilla would be even yummier. :) I hope you like them! Thanks for asking… I'll add it to the post!

• kate says
    September 27, 2012 @ 10:21 pm

Erin,

I've been really craving apple baked goods, I think I'll try these tonight. Any suggestions on ideas to make them vegan? Since they only have one dairy ingredient, I'm really tempted to eliminate dairy entirely. Any suggestions for replacing the yogurt/buttermilk with something that isn't just a vegan substitute for these items?

Thanks!

• Erin replies to kate
      September 27, 2012 @ 10:32 pm

Hi!

Well, it'd have to be something slightly thick, so that rules out apple juice, which is the only good thing I can think of. Is lemon juice in soy milk not a good sub for buttermilk? I know you said not just a vegan sub, but lemon juice in milk is what I always use. I hope whatever you try works out well for you. I'd love to hear how they come out!

February 23, 2012 @ 1:54 pm

Lise – You're great. :) I'm with you all the way on leaving feedback. A lot of people leave their reviews for my recipes on random other sites and I don't understand why.

I'm sorry the muffins didn't have the right apple flavor for you! When you say more sweet-tart apple flavor, do you mean that they should just be sweeter? If you don't mind sugar, I'd just add two tablespoons of unrefined or brown sugar. I'm clueless what to do if you want them tarter. You could also pick a sweeter or tarter apple. I made them a few times with whatever cheap apples I had, but when I made them with Granny Smith there was a clear difference.

How I create a recipe is to look at several different recipes (usually family recipes), which are usually not at all healthy, and then make some healthy changes. I normally change recipes so much that nothing is the same except for the amount of flour. If I use any recipes off the internet, you can always see the original at the source I list. That's probably not very good advice but it's what I do. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful! Thanks again for leaving feedback. I'm always super excited when I see that you've left a comment because you're one of the few that leaves feedback. :)

• Lise says
    February 23, 2012 @ 1:16 pm

Hi Erin, I loved how moist and healthy these were, but I wanted more sweet-tart apple flavor. Any ideas? I'm a little nervous about just bumping up the honey since I know that could mess with the moisture ratio! And you're right, I'm slowly cooking my way through your site! I love to leave feedback on the recipe itself since that's what I always look for. How do you come up with all your recipes? I don't think I've ever composed a recipe from scratch in my life! Any tips for novice tinkerers? Thanks!

October 2, 2011 @ 8:27 am

Kate, I hope you like them! Let me know how they turn out.

• kate says
    October 2, 2011 @ 3:04 am

I'm in love with this recipe! I've been obsessed with honey-sweetened baked goods lately. This is right up my alley. Making these immediately. Thanks!

September 30, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

Ali, thanks for the compliments! The muffins aren't too difficult to make. I'm sure you could manage. :)

• Ali says
    September 30, 2011 @ 10:09 am

I love apple and everything made out of it. your muffin looks really great, wish you could make me one as am such a lazy cook :) love the photo,nice blog.

September 28, 2011 @ 11:11 pm

Yay! I really hope you like them. And thanks for your compliment. Coming from you, it really means a lot. :)

September 28, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

I have been wanting to make breakfast muffins for a while. I have a couple of recipes in my blog but I wanted to try something new. I will definitely make these very soon and let you know how they turned out. Your pictures look really good!

and by the way thanks for your kind comment :-)