Welcome to Texanerin Baking! My name is Erin and I’m from Texas. Baking is on my mind – all the time. So I bake a lot. I used to bake oodles of really unhealthy goodies but then I realized that I couldn’t continue baking once or twice a week and remain healthy at the same time.
My Food Philosophy
After two years of healthifying recipes, I thought I’d gotten the hang of it and wanted to share what I’d learned with others who want delicious, yet nutritious baked goods. And so I started this blog in September 2011!
You know how a lot of healthy recipes taste healthy? Just kind of… bla? I don’t like that. At all! My aim is to create simple, healthier recipes that – most importantly – taste just as yummy as the original not-so-healthy versions! No cardboard-y or grain-y taste here.
I don’t have any sensitivities but I think it’s fun to try out new things and be more inclusive of those who can’t eat gluten (and it seems more and more people are learning they’re gluten intolerant!) Plus… sometimes, gluten-free recipes can taste really, really good and even better than a whole grain version.
Like my whole grain recipes? I wrote a book all about 100% whole grain desserts! Quite a few recipes are gluten-free and dairy-free and all of them taste just as good as the more traditional kind made with all-purpose flour. You can learn more here or order it here on Amazon.
Random Stuff About Me
- When I was 16, I was an exchange student in Sweden and I fell in love with it so much that I went back for another exchange year in college. This is where I met Mr. Texanerin, who was also doing his exchange year there.
- I love to travel, especially around Europe. I’ve visited 19 European countries and my favorites are Italy and Iceland. The only places left that I really have to visit are Santorini in Greece, a few places in Italy, and the Provence area of France. And also New England in the fall with Mr. Texanerin. And Kenya to visit the baby elephant orphanage. :)
- Every now and then I am asked how my blog’s name came into being. My husband is German and Texanerin translates to female Texan. And my name is Erin. And I’m from Texas. Texan Erin. Get it?!
- A lot of people assume that we’re a military family (because of my husband). We’re not. I’m not German either, but Irish American!
- I’m a gigantic Pearl Jam fan. At this point, it’s all I listen to. Youtube videos of their concerts keep me entertained for hours while baking away and I credit them for keeping me lively and alert while writing my book.
- When I’m not baking, I’m daydreaming about getting a golden retriever puppy. Someone like him:
Look at him! How could anyone not want a golden retriever? Aww.
I may also have a baby elephant obsession. Nothing lifts your mood like a nature show with baby elephants running around playing soccer, trumpeting and twirling their tails for joy, or having lots of fun taking a bath.
Thanks for reading!
I hope you enjoy my recipes! If you make one, I’d love it if you could leave a comment on the post to tell me and your fellow readers how it went. There’s nothing better than getting feedback and it helps the other readers, too. I would appreciate it so much. Thank you! ♥
If you have questions, don’t hesitate to contact me and I’ll get right back to you!