Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge

I am SO excited to share this recipe! It’s the first of my “healthier” sweets. It still uses honey but I can live with that. And compared to the loads of white sugar and the sugar in chocolate that you normally find in fudge, it sounds healthy to me.

It doesn’t taste exactly like traditional fudge, the texture isn’t the same and obviously it’s not as sweet, but if I had to choose between the two, I would pick this. I just feel better eating it. And I love the taste and texture although it’s not the same as the really unhealthy stuff. So instead of making some horribly fat and sugar filled goodies for Valentine’s Day (although they’re incredibly delicious!) I suggest making this.

If you also dislike coconut – don’t worry. It doesn’t taste like coconut! And this marks the first time that I’ve used natural peanut butter in something and actually liked it. I have to admit that I prefer commercial peanut butter, but I don’t think you could tell the difference with this recipe. It’s all melted together and that results in a subtle peanut butter taste.

I tried creating a chocolate peanut butter icing but it didn’t really turn out very icing like. So it’s fudge! I got a silicone heart mold for Christmas and poured it into that. They get a little melty if you leave them out of the fridge for too long.

But I like them melty!

It’s oozing! :)

I’m so enthusiastic about this recipe that when editing, I removed four uses of “Yay!”

Ingredients:
  • 6 tablespoons (84 grams) refined coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup (~128 grams) natural peanut butter (recipe here)
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons (~50 grams) Dutch-process cocoa powder*
  • 1/4 cup (80 grams) honey
* In Germany, we only have Dutch-process cocoa so I can’t say how this would work with normal Hershey’s cocoa powder. Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa would work.

Directions:

Melt the coconut oil, natural peanut butter and cocoa powder together in a pot or pan over low heat. When it’s completely melted and smooth, take it off the heat and add the honey and stir until well combined. Immediately pour into a silicone mold or into mini muffin tins which have been lined with mini muffin liners. Place in the refrigerator until set. Mine took a few hours. If you’re in a hurry, stick them in the freezer. Store in the refrigerator but if you’d like them gooier, take them out about an hour or even longer before serving. At that point, like you see in the pictures, you might even need a fork to eat them. They’re just too messy.

Yields: About 30 candies

German bakers: refined coconut oil is called Kokosfett and can be found everywhere except the discounters, although I did find it at Netto Marken Discount. It’s next to the butter and in my area it costs about .89 per 250 gram block.

29 comments on “Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge” — Add one!

• Liz says
    February 5, 2014 @ 1:43 pm

Wow, these look irresistible!!!

• Erin replies to Liz
      February 5, 2014 @ 7:42 pm

Thanks, Liz! :)

• Dottie says
    September 1, 2013 @ 9:32 pm

Love,love love all of your amazing creations!!!
    Have tried many, and always get a standing ovation from family & friends. It’s summer here in south Fla(not Vegas hot,but in the 90’s with humidity) , so I try never to light the oven. Your no bake creations are Yay fabulous!!
    Can you suggest an alternative to coconut oil. We have coconut allergies.
    Keep blogging.

March 15, 2012 @ 9:00 pm

Thanks Lakshmi! They are but at least they're not wildly unhealthy. :)

• Lakshmi @Purevegetarian says
    March 15, 2012 @ 8:14 pm

They look sinfully good!!!

March 3, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

Lily – Thanks for the tip! I'll try it out. :)

• Lily says
    March 3, 2012 @ 3:09 am

When I ate them cold I noticed the olive oil flavor much more than when they were room temperature. But I use it so much I don't mind the flavor. I think any preferred oil would work.

February 24, 2012 @ 10:18 pm

Lily – Thank you so much for leaving feedback! I would love to use olive oil in these too, but did they taste like olive oil? I normally use olive oil in baked goods, but the olive-y taste that's in the batter disappears during baking. But these aren't baked so I'm curious. Thanks again for the lovely comment! I'll do my best to keep the original recipes coming. :)

• Lily says
    February 24, 2012 @ 9:53 pm

I just made these last night and they are amazing! I actually used olive oil, since I avoid coconut oil. And they still turned out delicious. I love your little heart molds… I didn't have anything nearly as cute, but that's ok. Thanks for your wonderful recipes! Please keep them coming!

February 15, 2012 @ 2:07 pm

Lise – Yay! I'm so happy that you enjoyed them! I've never had sunflower seed butter before but your version sounds interesting. And it's great to know that these actually work as truffles! Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback (and I think this is the third time you've done it, which is awesome). It really makes my day! :)

• Lise says
    February 15, 2012 @ 1:58 pm

Hi Erin, thanks for the recipe! I tried this recipe as truffles for Valentine's Day (with a few changes) and we loved them! I subbed sunflower seed butter for peanut butter, and added a pinch of salt and some vanilla to bring out the sweetness, since SSB isn't as sweet as PB I think. I rolled them in cocoa powder – what a treat! And even though they're still pretty efficient calorie bombs, they've got some health benefits too. Thanks!

February 11, 2012 @ 4:31 pm

Nora – I can't wait!

Union Street Eats – Coconut oil is new to me! I got it for another recipe, used only a tablespoon, and then came up with this as a way to get rid of some coconut oil. I think it's a good way. :)

• Union Street Eats says
    February 11, 2012 @ 3:53 am

Coconut oil is my new obsession. These are perfect!

• nora @ Natural Noshing says
    February 10, 2012 @ 5:44 am

Yes maam I will but it will probably be in a couple weeks :)

February 9, 2012 @ 8:31 pm

Nora – Thanks! But I want to see your fudge recipe. Are you going to post it?!

Katie – Hehe, yeah. Melted is the way to go! Who wants cold and hard when you could have soft and melty. :)

Sara – I just saw what you said on Facebook. YAY! Someone is going to make one of my recipes! Please tell me what you think. I hope you love them. :)

• Sara @ Simply Whole Kitchen says
    February 9, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

Oh my goodness these look amazing!! So cute and yummy looking! I can't wait to try these!

• {Epicurean Mom} says
    February 9, 2012 @ 7:39 pm

You out did yourself my friend! These look perfect and sound so delicious!! I love melty chocolates too! :)

• nora @ Natural Noshing says
    February 9, 2012 @ 1:31 am

Ahhhh! I just made a fudge recipe two days ago and this looks FABULOUS! Nice job on using honey and coconut oil – and I can't resist peanut butter mmmmmmm!!!! :) Love the hearts too!

February 8, 2012 @ 9:34 pm

Sonia – Thanks a bunch! I love how enthusiastic you are about things. It makes taking hundreds pictures of just one thing worth it. :)

I'm happy you enjoyed the article. It was all new to me until I made your chocolate coconut almond butter and read up on cocoa powder.

Hahaha. But I sound like a moron when I end every fourth sentence with YAY! There was even a YAY! in the directions. But thanks for your support of my yays. We thank you. :D

• Sonia The Healthy Foodie says
    February 8, 2012 @ 8:57 pm

OMG, these look sooooo good! You made them look absolutely perfect, so shiny and creamy. I want to sink my teeth into one right now.

Seriously, I can't believe how beautiful they are.

And they have peanut butter in them? OMG!

Oh, and extremely good article on cocoa powder. Thoroughly enjoyed that!

And one last thing, there's no shame in saying YAY four times in a post! Especially not when it's that exciting. I say you should reinstate them. Poor YAYS…

February 8, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

Heidi – Thanks! I hope that works out. I've never had unrefined coconut oil before so maybe it's not how I'm imagining it to be. I hope you can try them! Please let me know how they turn out if you do. :)

February 8, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

These are incredible. The first couple pictures they look delicious but I thought, how special can they be. And then that picture with the bite out of it – Omg! Amazing. I am totally completely convinced. I think I might try these with my regular coconut oil, I think the coconut flavor would be delicious, if it's even noticeable. I love that you made them into little hearts, so cute!

February 8, 2012 @ 5:34 pm

Katrina – Yeah, the mixture is totally liquid when you pour them in the molds so they're just forced to come out perfectly.

Miryam – If you keep them in the fridge, they're quite firm and not gooey. I just like mine that way so I leave them out at room temperature for a while to get them a bit softer. You should totally try this recipe. It's way more fun than those boring almond cookies. :)

Regan – Thanks! You could always make a tiny batch. I normally always make 1/4 batches so I can't possibly eat an entire batch of something at once. Only 1/4 of a batch. :)

• Regan - The Professional Palate says
    February 8, 2012 @ 5:23 pm

Erin… these look AH-MAZING. I am afraid to make them at home, though. I would want to eat them over and over and over and… ;-)

February 8, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

Wow this is an awesome recipe. How cute with the heart shape! I could probably eat the entire batch by myself :-).

I have peanut butter chocolate fudge in my super long dessert to do list but this one is way healthier. I bet you can also make truffles with this recipe.

I really like this recipe. I bet you could probably add some melted chocolate to the mixture and then it won't be so runny like you mentioned, but then again the fudge won't be as healthy :-)

February 8, 2012 @ 1:08 pm

I really need to try this. A lot of the time my truffles don't end up as pretty as I'd like, but with a mold I just know they'd turn out! Yum!

February 8, 2012 @ 10:44 am

Caroline – Truffles! Maybe I should have made them as truffles. I think you'll be seeing these slightly altered as truffles. Thanks for the idea and for pinning. :)

Becca – I don't like to use natural peanut butter in lots of things, especially pie, because the texture is totally different and the flavor isn't the same. I like the flavor of commercial peanut butter. It's sugary and so creamy! I think it makes a difference when baking but other people don't mind it.

Natural peanut butter is definitely healthier, WAY healthier, but I don't see the point in using it in baking if you don't like the outcome. So I don't. I'm going to try to come up with recipes that are yummy with natural peanut butter, though. I don't need all the added bad fat and sugar in the commercial stuff.

• Becca says
    February 8, 2012 @ 5:21 am

This looks so creamy and delicious! I like the picture with the bite taken out of it, it shoes great texture of the fudge.

Also, quick question: do you know why commercial peanut butter (like Jif) is always used and people suggest against using natural peanut butter. I've always wondered this, but never really asked because not many recipes call for natural peanut butter, like this one. I would think natural would be better because you could control the sugar and salt amount.

• Caroline @ chocolate & carrots says
    February 7, 2012 @ 11:05 pm

Woah! Erin, you've outdone yourself. These look amazing! They almost remind me of a truffle! Thank you for the amazing recipe. This is a must try and definitely must pin. ;-)