Three weeks after the end of the holidays and I’m still burned out on sweets. I’ll get back to baking soon enough, but for now, here’s something cheesy and carby. Probably my favorite combination!
I never had Hamburger Helper growing up. I didn’t even really know what it was until a college roommate introduced me to it. I protested, scoffed at her, told her that there was no way I would like it. But I did. I mean, it tastes so junky. How could I not love something so junky?! It’s awful, I know.
Needless to say, Hamburger Helper doesn’t exist in Germany (although there are tons of prepackaged meals here) but even if it did, I wouldn’t be buying it. This version is so easy and doesn’t contain any of the scary ingredients! I realize it’s not exactly healthy, but at least it’s healthier than the boxed version, right? :)
And it really is creamier than in the picture. It had been sitting at room temperature for a really long time at that point.
All you do is brown the meat, add pasta, milk, and some seasonings. If that’s easy. And you can use whole wheat, gluten-free, or regular pasta. Whatever you want. I’ve used all kinds and they all work just as well.
Homemade Hamburger Helper Cheeseburger Macaroni
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready in:
- Yield: 4 - 6 servings
- 1¼ (565 grams) pound ground beef
- 3 cups (710ml) milk
- 1¾ cups (4 dl) whole wheat macaroni or pasta of choice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1¾ teaspoons paprika
- 1¼ teaspoons onion powder
- 1¼ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cup (141 grams) cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, cook the meat until almost browned. A little pink is okay as it'll be simmering for a while later on.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan, except for the cheddar cheese, and stir together. Cover with a lid and simmer for 20 - 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. This is using whole wheat pasta. It might take less time if you use the regular stuff. If you find that too much of the liquid has evaporated, add some more milk or water, stir and cover again.
- Stir in the cheese until well mixed in. If you like the consistency, serve immediately. If you want it to be a little thicker, wait about 5 minutes.