This piña colada smoothie only uses fresh fruit and coconut milk, making it a delicious and healthy way to start the day! It’s also vegan and dairy-free.
I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays! I didn’t plan on taking two weeks off from all things blogging but that’s what happened. Now that I feel super relaxed, I’m ready to get back to sharing some healthy recipes.
I was supposed to be headed to the Caribbean for a blogger retreat in less than one week but had to cancel for various reasons. So I made this piña colada smoothie to pretend that I’m not somewhere that’s grey and dreary 97% of the time. :)
This smoothie consists of nothing but healthy ingredients: banana, fresh pineapple, and coconut milk. I saw some recipes with pineapple juice but I wanted to avoid adding that since it’s basically all sugar. I did try adding some in one version and it’s delicious, so if you don’t mind the sugar, go for it!
Another thing you could try is coconut milk Greek yogurt. I don’t have access to it over here but I bet it’d be delicious in this smoothie!
You can also toss in a bit of an avocado for the added nutritional benefits! It contributes to the creaminess, too. If you’re making this for breakfast and want something a little more filling, toss in some oats.
I have to admit that I’ve only ever had one piña colada and am far from a piña colada expert. You may want to have a little extra pineapple on hand if you don’t find my version to have enough of a pineapple taste. Or if you want it more coconutty, add some coconut extract or coconut butter!
If you have time, I recommend partially freezing the bananas and pineapple chunks. I never add ice to my smoothies as I don’t like how icy and watery it makes them, so freezing the fruit helps. I don’t completely freeze the fruit because I use an immersion blender that couldn’t handle it.
As a lot of people are going back to work tomorrow, I felt it my duty to try this piña colada smoothie with some added rum, just in case you feel a hankering for that kind of thing after a long day at work. It works. :D
If coconut isn’t your thing, here’s another tropical-ish smoothie to help get you through the winter!
Healthy Piña Colada Smoothie
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready in:
- Yield: 1 medium serving
- 1/2 cup (108 grams) canned coconut milk
- 3/4 of a medium banana (80 grams without the peel), sliced into 1/2" chunks and frozen for 30-60 minutes
- 1 cup (124 grams) fresh pineapple, sliced into 1/2" chunks and frozen for 30-60 minutes
- other possible additions: avocado, coconut Greek yogurt, coconut extract, coconut butter (not oil), plain Greek yogurt, pineapple juice, rum, oats, shredded coconut or coconut flakes as garnish
- Blend everything together using an immersion blender, blender (I'd recommend a high-powered one like a Blendtec) or food processor. If using a blender, make sure to add the coconut milk first to make blending easier. Process until smooth.
- Serve immediately.