100% Whole Grain Chocolate Cherry Brownies

I hope everyone had a great 4th of July! Sadly, it was just a normal work day over here.

So here we have the brownie pictures that I thought were lost! Yay. These taste way better than they look. They aren’t super gooey like my brownies normally are, but they are good.

100% Whole Grain Chocolate Cherry Brownies | texanerin.com

Normally I like to put brownies in the fridge so that they get gooier. That didn’t work here. They just became hard like fudge. So I took them out again. Much better!

100% Whole Grain Chocolate Cherry Brownies | texanerin.com

There’s also way more cherries in here than it appears but you could always toss in more!

100% Whole Grain Chocolate Cherry Brownies | texanerin.com

100% Whole Grain Chocolate Cherry Brownies

• Yield: 16 brownies

• 3 tablespoons (42 grams) coconut oil or normal butter
  • 50 grams (a little more than ⅓ cup) semisweet chocolate chips
  • ¾ cup (95 grams) coconut sugar or white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1½ teaspoon vanilla
  • ¼ cup (60ml) milk
  • ¼ cup (60ml) canola oil
  • ¾ cup (97 grams) whole wheat flour
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cup Dutch-process cocoa powder (27 grams)
  • 170 grams (about 1 cup) pitted fresh cherries
  • 180 grams (about 1 cup) semisweet chocolate chips - I only used 100 grams and it wasn't nearly enough!

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F / 176°C. Spray an 8" x 8" pan with baking spray or get out a piece of parchment paper and place in the pan.
  2. Melt the oil / butter and chocolate in a large microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until melted.
  3. Add the sugar, egg, egg yolk, vanilla, milk and oil. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder.
  4. Add the dry mix to the wet mix and stir only until combined. Do not over mix! Fold in the cherries and chocolate chips.
  5. Bake for 15 minutes. If you used a 9" x 9", you'll need to bake them a little less. Maybe 2 or 3 minutes? I don't have a pan that size so I can't tell you. Store at room temperature.

25 comments on “100% Whole Grain Chocolate Cherry Brownies” — Add one!

August 16, 2012 @ 5:23 am

Christine – You're the most awesome feedback leaver. Thank you. :) So happy that you liked them! The messy red hands thing was pretty bad. I think before cherry season next year, I'll have to buy a cherry pitter. Thanks for the tip! That'll definitely make it go quicker.

Natalie – Let me know how they turned out! I hope you enjoy them. :)

• Natalie says
    August 16, 2012 @ 5:00 am

Have these in the oven right now! They smell SO good!

• ceekee19 says
    August 15, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

Made these a few weeks ago and just finished off the remainder from the freezer. Apart from my issue with my dodgy rented apartment oven they are LOVELY! The Oxo cherry pitter utensil is a must. The first batch I did by hand and then went out and got one which made the whole thing much easier and less messy (no red hands!). Mmmmmmmmmmmm! Lovely way to bake and enjoy fresh cherries!

July 29, 2012 @ 8:28 am

tunasfoodblog – And thank you for stopping by. :)

GastroStu – Thank you!

• GastroStu says
    July 28, 2012 @ 11:32 pm

Chocolate and Cherry's can't go wrong! These look absolutely amazing.

• tunasfoodblog says
    July 28, 2012 @ 8:59 pm

Looks so good! Love chocolate and cherry! Thanks for sharing!

July 13, 2012 @ 1:11 pm

Katie – Haha, yup. They're pretty awesome. :)

• Katie says
    July 12, 2012 @ 3:42 pm

Chocolate and cherries? DUDE. Yes, please!

July 9, 2012 @ 10:16 pm

Baltic Maid – Thanks! I'm not even a big cherry fan but I liked these. :)

Miryam – Oh no. That sounds terrible. Make fudge! Or those coconut peanut butter rice krispie treats! My favorite Miryam recipes. :)

Marta – Yup, they're on sale now! Go go go. :)

Ali – Thanks!

Rachel – These were just a way for me to get rid of cherries but I think I'd even buy cherries for these!

• Rachel @ Baked by Rachel says
    July 9, 2012 @ 2:40 pm

mmm something else I can use my cherries for!

• Ali @ Gimme Some Oven says
    July 9, 2012 @ 6:24 am

Ooooh – I LOVE chocolate and cherries! These look delicious!! :)

• Marta @ What Should I Eat For Breakfast Today says
    July 9, 2012 @ 12:14 am

It looks delicious. I could see plenty of cherries around, so I'll try this one out :)

July 8, 2012 @ 1:10 am

Thanks, so far so good but it is super hot. Today in Baltimore it was 104 degrees……I almost melted :-( for sure if I make something it wll have to be something w/ no baking :-)

• Baltic Maid says
    July 8, 2012 @ 12:23 am

I love cherries!!! And cherries with chocolate… This is a dream!!!

July 7, 2012 @ 9:37 am

amy – Thanks! :)

Miryam – You have so many quick and easy recipes! I'm sure you'll figure out something. Have a great trip!

Chung-Ah – Hehe. Yes! :)

Heidi – Thank you! I was unsure about them but once I tried them, I liked them too. Cherries aren't usually my thing.

July 6, 2012 @ 1:40 am

Oh my goodness, I love cherries and chocolate! These look so delicious :D

• Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious says
    July 6, 2012 @ 12:36 am

Ooooh I bet the chocolate-cherry marriage is amazing! I need to get on this ASAP!

July 6, 2012 @ 12:33 am

OMG that is too funny!! That is the reason why I always refrained from baking with anything that called for cherries. I didn't want to do all of that process by hand :-)

When I get the tool I will.
    I will try to bake but it will probably be something easy and not to elaborate because I need to have my sweet fix. Will see what I can come up with :-)

July 5, 2012 @ 9:50 pm

i think they look great – super rich + yummy. love that they're 100% whole grain, too!

July 5, 2012 @ 9:50 pm

Kathryn – Thanks! You should see the first 100 pictures I took. They looked disgusting and the pictures were ugly. Brownies are so complicated!

frostedcookie – Thanks!

Jessica – Thank you! I'm happy they still came out with coconut oil. It's still kind of new to me.

sensualappeal – Thanks. :)

Miryam – Really? I looked hard to find a good looking chocolate cherry brownies (with fresh cherries) and it was hard to find really good sounding ones. Cherries aren't my favorite, but the brownies were good. :) I used Dutch process which I guess you could call dark, just because that's all I have access to. I used my fingers and a knife to pit the cherries, which stained under my fingernails. Mmmm! And yes, there is a tool!

After the cherry cake and these brownies I will definitely invest in one of those. I had cherry stains on my fingers, my shirt, even my pants, the wall. No kidding.

And I think you should bake while you're on vacation! You should get to do something you like. :)

July 5, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

Now I need to make a version of this. I have seen it post it all over the internet and I never cared to try them although the flavors seem to be really complementary to each other.

I am glad you didn't loose the pictures after all. I hate when that happens. The brownies look really moist and super dark, which I like. I am sure you used dark cocoa powder right? even better!!

I need to make so many of your recipes!! Maybe while I am away, although not being in my kitchen with my tools and oven makes me nervous.

By the way, I am curious, how do you get your cherries pitted? is there a tool I don't know about :-)

• sensualappeal says
    July 5, 2012 @ 7:14 pm

They look delicious!!

• Jessica@AKitchenAddiction says
    July 5, 2012 @ 5:00 pm

These look great! I love how they use wheat flour and coconut oil!

• london bakes says
    July 5, 2012 @ 3:28 pm

Gorgeous gorgeous pictures Erin! I hate taking pictures of brownies but these just jump off the page (sadly not into my mouth…). Love that combination of chocolate and cherry.

• frostedcookie says