Strawberry Ginger Banana Smoothie (Anti-nausea Smoothie)

This strawberry ginger banana smoothie is not only delicious but helps relieve nausea and upset tummies!

Strawberry Ginger Banana Smoothie – my favorite anti-nausea smoothie!

I call this my upset tummy smoothie. For a few years up until last November, I’d wake up in the middle of the night feeling really nauseous and I’d remain a little nauseous for a few days. It was bizarre. Several doctors and an endoscopy later, I decided just to try probiotics. I took those for a week and haven’t been nauseous since!

But I still keep this strawberry ginger smoothie around because it’s yummy and I get bored way too easily by what’s on my regular smoothie rotation. Banana ginger smoothies seem to be the classic anti-nausea smoothie but let’s be honest – that’s really boring. If you’re super nauseous, boring is great, but if you’re not feeling that terrible, the strawberries are a nice touch. Strawberries don’t actually appear to benefit the stomach in any way, but they don’t hurt it (unless you’ve got an allergy!) Besides. It’s finally strawberry season which means it’s time to throw strawberries into everything!

It’s a really basic smoothie. Ginger, bananas, strawberries and Greek yogurt or coconut milk for a dairy-free version. Or you could try So Delicious cultured coconut milk. They also have cultured almond milk! Think of it as dairy-free Greek yogurt. With either of those, this would be a dairy-free and vegan smoothie. And I threw in some oats, which you’d have to leave out for a grain-free version.

Here are some of the reasons why I picked these ingredients.

Strawberry Ginger Banana Smoothie – great as an anti-nausea smoothie!

Ginger:

• Has been shown to treat or even prevent nausea which results from motion sickness, pregnancy, and chemotherapy. If using ginger for morning sickness, do not use it for more than 4 days.
  • Soothes the intestinal tract.
  • Note: it’s not recommended to consume more than 4 grams of ginger per day. Also, do not give ginger to children younger than two.

If you don’t have fresh ginger, you can sub ground ginger. Use 1/4 teaspoon and add more until the smoothie is your desired spiciness.

Bananas:

• Easy to digest.
  • Don’t upset the stomach.
  • Well-known to help with stomach issues. The pectin they contain helps naturally firm bowel movements (the first and last time I ever mention that over here. ;))
  • Contain potassium, which you may need if you’re dehydrated from vomiting or diarrhea.

They also have a super important role as the sweetener in this smoothie recipe! There’s no added sugar, no honey, no anything. Unless I have some outrageously sweet strawberries, I’ve found that I need a banana to sweeten my smoothies.

Strawberries:

• Like I said earlier, eating strawberries doesn’t have a beneficial effect on the stomach like the other two but diets rich in strawberries have been shown to help prevent gastric illness and protect the stomach lining from alcohol.

That’s something, right? :D

Oats:

• Coat the lining of the stomach which eases digestion and creates an overall soothing effect.
  • Contain soluble fiber which is important in helping to maintain digestive tract health. Healthy digestive tract = happier tummy = fewer tummy aches. At least in theory. :)

Strawberry Ginger Banana Smoothie

Strawberry Ginger Banana Smoothie (Anti-nausea Smoothie)
  • Yield: 1 serving

• 1 medium to large banana (120 grams)
  • 7 large strawberries (186 grams), hulled and washed
  • ½" piece of ginger (4 grams), peeled and chopped in 4 chunks
  • ½ cup (114 grams) plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (or coconut milk for a dairy-free version)
  • ¼ cup (25 grams) quick oats or rolled oats if you don't mind some chunks of oats in your smoothie, optional (use gluten-free certified oats if you need this to be GF)
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla, optional and only if you're feeling well!
  • milk, if desired

1. Use an immersion blender, blender or food processor to blend everything together until thoroughly combined. Add milk to thin it out, if desired. My strawberries were very watery and I didn't need any milk at all. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 1 day.

This post is not intended as medical advice – it’s for informational purposes only!

20 comments on “Strawberry Ginger Banana Smoothie (Anti-nausea Smoothie)” — Add one!

• Bianca
    June 12, 2014 @ 10:47 pm

Omg thank you so much I’m pregnant and when I was feeling pain I made this and I love it thanks

• Erin replies to Bianca
      June 13, 2014 @ 10:40 pm

I was so happy to get your comment, Bianca! It totally made my day. I’m happy that you enjoyed the smoothie and that it helped you feel a little better! Thanks so much for stopping by to let me know. :)

• Laura Black
    ♥♥♥♥
    June 7, 2014 @ 10:26 pm

Hey Erin! Great recipe idea and I love your site. :) My two daughters and I have had stomach issues since…well forever. Most of the time it occurs on rising in the morning, but sometimes I’ll have issues throughout the day, something I ate or drank. And I am a cautious eater. I am mostly vegan with a little wild caught fish; no dairy. Bananas are my go to for the morning nausea and some ginger tea. This combo in a smoothie looks fantastic. Thanks for the creative ideas.

• Erin replies to Laura Black
      June 8, 2014 @ 9:34 am

Hi Laura! Thanks for your nice comment. :) I’m so happy that you like the site and the recipes! But I’m sorry to hear that you and your daughters have nausea issues. I hope you find a solution to that soon! In the meantime, I hope the smoothie will help. :)

• Susan says
    June 4, 2014 @ 10:21 pm

Too bad I can’t make this smoothie when I’m on a cruise ship… It sounds wonderful. Since nausea is not one of my usual problems, except when seasick, I don’t need this, but I will keep the recipe. This was a very thoughtful thing to post.

• Erin replies to Susan
      June 8, 2014 @ 10:01 am

Thank you, Susan! I make this regularly even when not nauseous because it’s so yummy so you could always make it just because. ;)

• Rose | The Clean Dish
    June 4, 2014 @ 6:34 pm

Genius! I never though about putting all these ingredients together and make something enjoyable out of it to relive nausea! I’m glad you’re feeling better, though. It’s amazing how food can heal your body!

I can handle a lot of pain and discomfort but nausea, I cannot stand! Bookmarking and pinning this :)

• Erin replies to Rose | The Clean Dish
      June 8, 2014 @ 10:03 am

YES! That’s exactly how I feel about nausea. Give me anything… just not nausea. It’s the not knowing that drives me crazy. “Am I going to throw up or not?!” And I never do. So I just suffer. ;) Thanks for pinning!

• Carla | Carlas Confections says
    June 4, 2014 @ 6:06 pm

I’m ashamed to say I didn’t know a lot of those things! But I am happy I know now! I’m going to try this next time I feel motion sick! Sounds super tasty too :)

• Erin replies to Carla | Carlas Confections
      June 8, 2014 @ 10:04 am

Don’t be ashamed, silly! ;) I had to look everything up so I’m not an expert, either. I hope you’ll like the smoothie!

• Medeja says
    June 4, 2014 @ 1:11 pm

Banana and strawberries.. definitely very yummy smoothie!

• Sarah @ Seriously Lovely
    June 4, 2014 @ 12:44 pm

This sounds like it would be delicious even if you weren’t feeling queasy. Can’t wait to try it!

• Samina | The Cupcake Confession says
    June 4, 2014 @ 6:44 am

Wow!!!! I love how this smoothie is not just incredibly delicious but is packed with health benefits. I do tend to get nauseous very often especially after a tiring day in the sun or too much travelling and this is just absolutely the perfect solution to feel refreshed!

• Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness
    June 4, 2014 @ 2:37 am

The ginger addition is a total surprise, but I LOVE how this sounds.
    When I first read the title I may or may not have thought that you were gonna announce some buns in the oven….just figured you should know how my brain works.
    Love this smoothie girl…pinned!

• Erin replies to Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness
      June 8, 2014 @ 10:05 am

Haha. Well it would make sense with my slow rate of posting, wouldn’t it?! ;) It was a logical thought!

• How to Philosophize with Cake says
    June 3, 2014 @ 9:21 pm

What a great idea! I’ll have to bookmark this recipe for when I eat something a little off or just feel queasy, it sounds delicious too :)