Paleo Chocolate Banana Muffins (grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free)

These fudgy paleo chocolate banana muffins are super rich and decadent! They’re also naturally sweetened with honey and are grain-free, gluten-free and dairy-free.

When I make muffins, I’m usually able to eat at least three or four before I feel even the slightest bit full (I have to admit that I’m kind of a piggie). But these chocolate banana muffins are so rich and filling I could hardly do one and a half.

I suppose that’s not too surprising considering all the almond flour and chocolate in there!

These gluten-free muffins have a really nice texture! They’re not quite fudgy, but definitely headed that way, which is probably another reason why I couldn’t handle eating several of these at once.

These paleo chocolate banana muffins are super rich and decadent! (honey sweetened, grain-free, gluten-free and dairy-free)

So they’re dense, but a nice dense, and have a really nice crumb. And they definitely don’t have that typical paleo muffin texture! I don’t know about you, but I’ve had way too many bad grain-free muffins.

They’re often weirdly spongy and just don’t taste very good. My taste testers thought that these were made with all-purpose flour. To be honest now, my taste testers don’t know a thing about baking, let alone grain-free baking, but I was happy. :D

For another paleo muffin recipe with an awesome texture, you have to try my paleo blueberry muffins! They’re magical. They’re almost like angel food-like in texture.

These paleo apple muffins are also amazingly delicious! They have grated and chopped apples and loads of cinnamon for a lovely explosion of fall flavor.

These paleo chocolate banana muffins are super rich and decadent! (honey sweetened, gluten-free, grain-free dairy-free)

But back to today’s recipe! The banana taste is also pretty strong in these banana muffins so I wouldn’t recommend making these unless the idea of chocolate and banana appeals to you!

I was kind of hoping to use up my bananas in these muffins and not have them taste like banana at all, but I’m still really pleased with how they came out.

I haven’t tried subbing the banana with something else so I have no idea how that’d work. If you try using something else, let us know in the comments how it worked out!

If you’d rather have something more traditional, try these guilt-free chocolate banana muffins from Noble Pig. These double chocolate banana quinoa muffins from A Dash of Sanity also sound delicious and interesting!

Want more paleo chocolate goodies?

• These paleo chocolate cupcakes are moist but not eggy and have a rich, dark chocolaty taste! (grain-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free)
  • This healthy peanut butter chocolate fudge couldn’t be any easier! You just melt everything together. Naturally vegan with a paleo and nut-free option.
  • Perfect Paleo Double Chocolate Cookies – super rich, soft and chewy just like a regular double chocolate cookie! Nobody will know these are paleo, grain-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
  • This paleo chocolate fudge frosting only uses four ingredients and is also vegan! It takes 5 minutes to make, holds up perfectly at room temperature, and can be piped.

Paleo Chocolate Banana Muffins (grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free)

Paleo Chocolate Banana Muffins (grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free)
  • Yield: 12 muffins

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a muffin tin with 12 muffin liners.
  2. In a large bowl, mash the bananas with the bottom of a glass. They should almost be like a puree.
  3. Add the honey and vanilla and stir.
  4. Add in the eggs and oil and stir until well combined.
  5. In a medium bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
  6. Stir just until combined and then stir in the chocolate chips.
  7. Spoon the batter into the muffin liners and sprinkle on additional chocolate chips, if desired.
  8. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Be careful not to confuse a melted chocolate chip with the batter.
  9. Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
  10. Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

Notes

1. Use can use unrefined coconut oil if you don't mind a slight coconut taste.

261 comments on “Paleo Chocolate Banana Muffins (grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free)” — Add one!

1 comment is awaiting moderation!

• Mina
    September 23, 2018 @ 1:55 am

It was surprisingly delicious! Very moist; reminds me of a brownie like texture and taste. My 3 yr loved it! Definitely be making it again!

• Erin replies to Mina
      September 24, 2018 @ 9:43 pm

I’m glad to hear that they were a hit with your kid! That’s always a good thing. :) Thanks for your comment!

• Amy T says
    September 18, 2018 @ 5:34 pm

I rarely make muffins but this recipe caught my eye. First I have to say that I love these! So yummy! When I made them I realized too late that I forgot to add the coconut oil. Did I mention I rarely make muffins? 😂. My quick fix…I took them out of the oven two minutes before they were “done”. Oh my gosh….so moist and decadent. Perfection! Will definitely make them this way again :)

• Erin replies to Amy T
      September 21, 2018 @ 7:54 pm

Haha. I’ve done that sooo many times. Usually for me it’s the baking soda or the “main” ingredient – like chocolate chips in chocolate chip cookies, blueberries in blueberry muffins. I’m happy that you enjoyed them! Good call on taking them out early. :D Thanks for your comment!

• Cat says
    September 9, 2018 @ 8:11 am

Refined coconut oil? Processed Dutch cocoa?

This is terrible for you! Why not virgin coconut oil and cocoa powder?

• Erin replies to Cat
      September 9, 2018 @ 8:27 am

You’re welcome to use whatever you want if you think the ingredients I list are terrible for you. :)

• Robyn says
    August 22, 2018 @ 8:01 pm

Would butter work in place of the coconut oil or any other oils?

• Erin replies to Robyn
      August 22, 2018 @ 9:32 pm

I think butter would be fine as well as olive oil!

• Jen says
    July 19, 2018 @ 7:34 pm

This recipe looks great. Can I substitute GF AP Flour or Oat Flour for the Almond Flour? I cannot eat almonds.

• Erin replies to Jen
      July 20, 2018 @ 8:02 am

Thanks! Unfortunately not. Almond flour is really only interchangeable with other nut flours / meals. Can you have hazelnut or cashew meal?

• Jodi says
    July 11, 2018 @ 3:35 am

I left out the honey so it could be sugar-free. Used walnuts instead of chocolate chips. Didn’t have any coconut flour so used all almond flour. Absolutely delicious!

• Erin replies to Jodi
      July 14, 2018 @ 9:39 am

So you just used an additional 3 tablespoons of flour? Good to know that that works out well! I’m so happy that you enjoyed them. :) I bet they’re great with walnuts! Thanks a bunch for your comment.

• Rosie
    May 8, 2018 @ 5:40 pm

I am not a baker . And prefer gluten free . I have made MANY disaster gluten free baked goods . These are amazing !
    Perfect combo of flours , sweetness .
    And the big test – my kids love them !
    Satisfies my chocolate craving .

Are you able to give the nutritional info ? Sugars , carbs , fat .

• Erin replies to Rosie
      May 11, 2018 @ 10:54 am

I’m so happy that you and your kids enjoyed the muffins!
      I don’t have that info but you could use this recipe analyzer if you’d like for the nutritional profile. :) Thanks a bunch for your comment!

• Leila McLennan says
    April 18, 2018 @ 4:08 am

This is AMAZING! i am gluten free, dairy free and soy free so to find a recipe that is moist and fudge like is such a blessing!
    Thank you for sharing this recipe, my partner absolutely loves it and didnt even realise it was missing the Gluten and Dairy.
    I cant wait to try your other dessert recipes!

• Erin replies to Leila McLennan
      April 18, 2018 @ 8:09 pm

Aww, yay! I’m always especially happy to hear that people who can eat everything also like these allergy-friendly recipes. :) Thanks a bunch for your comment and I hope you’ll enjoy the other recipes just as much!

• Elaina says
    April 17, 2018 @ 8:16 pm

These are so good!! Definitely takes care of my chocolate cravings. My whole family loves them:). I’ve used pure maple syrup when I’m out of honey. I also only use 1/2 cup chocolate chips. They come out perfect every time! Thank you!

• Erin replies to Elaina
      April 18, 2018 @ 8:07 pm

You’re welcome! I’m so happy that you’ve been enjoying them and to hear that maple works well, too. :) Thanks a bunch for your comment!

• Melanie says
    April 15, 2018 @ 9:00 pm

Ok… I never leave comments when I make variations to a recipe, but it’s sooooo yummy I just have to in case others want to try lower sugar, and an alternative to coconut oil or butter. This recipe is very similar to the Healthier Carrot Cupcake recipe and both are unbelievable (I’ll post a comment there too)!!! I’ve been looking for gluten-free options for sweets that only have nut flour for a long time now, and I’ve hit the jackpot!!! THANK YOU!!!!

So I subbed honey for 3 tbsp maple syrup (only because I prefer the taste of maple syrup), subbed coconut oil for 2 tbsp coconut yogourt (works with dairy yogourt too, cupcakes end up especially velvety if you use Greek yogurt, even more so if you use Icelandic Skyr yogurt) and I omitted the chocolate chips entirely. When substituting oil or butter, I tried apple sauce first, and it wasn’t as good as the recipe where I tried yogurt. I had to bake my muffins for 25 min to cook fully in the middle.

• Essa says
    April 15, 2018 @ 5:34 pm

My family is not crazy about bananas,so I substituted 286 grams of organic carrot puree-absolutely delicious! Have made it several times. Definitely a keeper.

• Erin replies to Essa
      April 15, 2018 @ 6:56 pm

Oh, wow. Sounds great! Can you taste it at all or does it taste like a regular chocolate muffin? Thanks for the tip!

• Essa
      replies to Essa
      April 29, 2018 @ 4:31 am

Tastes like a regular chocolate muffin. Cannot detect any carrot flavor. So delicious!

• Erin replies to Essa
        April 29, 2018 @ 5:37 pm

Awesome! Then I’ve got to try it. :) Thanks for the tip and coming back and answering my question!

• Deanna
    April 5, 2018 @ 10:34 pm

Wow! These are wonderful. I substituted 1/2 C of GF oats for some of the almond flour to add more nutritional value. The whole family loves them. Thanks!!

• Erin replies to Deanna
      April 6, 2018 @ 11:34 am

Oats sounds like a yummy addition! Thanks for the tip. :) I’m happy that they came out well with them and that you and your family enjoyed the muffins!

• Shelby says
    February 19, 2018 @ 7:13 pm

I weighed everything and these came out wonderful. My toddler loved them. I’m going to try pumpkin purée next batch, so I can get extra veggies into the kids. Do you think this would come out well in a cake pan?

• Erin replies to Shelby
      February 20, 2018 @ 9:06 pm

I hope pumpkin puree works well! I’d love to hear the result. I haven’t tried it but I think a cake pan would work fine! Thanks for your comment. :)

• Shelby replies to Erin
        March 1, 2018 @ 7:43 pm

The pumpkin puree worked and is delicious, but I had to change the following: I used a can of organic pure pumpkin which is 425grams. I didn’t want to waste any of it, so I used the entire can and omitted the eggs. Before going paleo, I used to add a can of pumpkin to chocolate cake mix to make muffins, so I was trying to replicate that. Also, I had to cook at 375. So yeah! Now there is an egg free option as well!

• Erin replies to Shelby
          March 3, 2018 @ 3:45 pm

Awesome! Thanks a bunch for sharing your egg-free version and all the details so others can try them, too. I’m so happy that it worked out well! :)

• Amanda says
    February 6, 2018 @ 2:39 am

Loved them!!!! So good!!! But my batch came out very gooey, any suggestions? TIA

• Erin replies to Amanda
      February 9, 2018 @ 9:59 pm

So happy you liked them! They’re supposed to be fudgy but not really very gooey. Perhaps bake them 2-3 more minutes next time? And measure by weight if you didn’t the last time. Thanks for your comment!

• Johanna says
    February 1, 2018 @ 4:43 pm

These were so good! By far one of the best ones yet. Need to see what other recipes you have.

• Erin replies to Johanna
      February 3, 2018 @ 9:18 pm

Thanks a bunch! I hope you’ll enjoy the other recipes just as much. :)