Chocolate cherry smoothie made with yogurt, banana, cocoa powder and tart frozen cherries! Vegan and dairy-free option and naturally gluten-free. Thanks to Born Sweet Zing™ Organic Stevia Sweetener – Zero Calories for making today’s post possible!
I’ve been obsessed with all things tart cherry for a while. I eat dried tart cherries by the handful (I bought a 10-pound bag because it was such a good deal :D) and I recently found frozen tart cherries at a nearby shop. It was a SUPER exciting day!
With warmer months ahead, I thought this refreshing chocolate cherry smoothie would be in order. We were surprised by how refreshing it was. I don’t normally have that association with chocolate drinks. Like, I love my chocolate avocado smoothie, but it’s pretty heavy and filling, similar to pudding.
You can use coconut milk yogurt, which is what I used, for a vegan version, or unsweetened Greek yogurt or regular unsweetened yogurt for a version with dairy.
With the cocoa powder, tart cherries and unsweetened coconut milk yogurt, the smoothie was a little lacking in the sweetness department.
In this smoothie, I used 1 packet of Born Sweet Zing™ Organic Stevia Sweetener – Zero Calorie, which is equivalent to the sweetness in 2 teaspoons of sugar. It was just enough!
It’s certified organic with a delicious, clean sweet taste that’s perfect for sprinkling into your coffee, tea or over fruit – or you can try it in homemade smoothies, like this chocolate cherry smoothie.
You can find it in 40-count or 80-count carton of single-serve packets, which makes it perfect for bringing with you on-the-go. Check out their giveaway and get a complimentary sample just for entering!
For another chocolate + cherry treat, try my cherry brownies! They can be made gluten-free or with whole wheat.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Born Sweet™ Zing Organic Stevia Sweetener. The opinions and text are all mine.
Chocolate Cherry Smoothie (vegan option, gluten-free, grain-free)
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready in:
- Yield: 1 smoothie
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) yogurt (I used coconut milk yogurt for a vegan and dairy-free version)
- 1/4 cup (35 grams) pitted tart cherries (I used frozen)
- 2-3 tablespoons cocoa powder1
- 1 small or medium banana (mine was 147 grams with the peel and 95 grams without the peel)
- 1 packet Born Sweet Zing
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt (this enhances the chocolate flavor!)
- Blend everything (start off with 2 tablespoons cocoa powder) together in a blender until smooth. Add more cocoa powder, if desired. Serve.
- How much cocoa you use will depend on exactly which cocoa powder you use and how dark you like your chocolate. I used raw cacao powder and 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons cacao was perfect for me. If you use Dutch-process cocoa powder, you may need less. Also note that if you use Dutch-process, your smoothie will be a much darker brown, more like the color of dark chocolate, and not reddish like mine.