Whole grain banana bread seems like such a boring first post, I know, but it’s one of our favorites!
Okay. So let’s talk bananas. They need more than a few dark spots. They need to be as dark as possible. When you peel them, they’ll probably be brown and nasty looking. That’s what will do the job. If your bananas aren’t ripe enough, your bread won’t be as sweet as it should be, and since we’re reducing the sugar quite a bit, we need those bananas to be sweet.
The bananas and cinnamon mellow the whole grain taste that many, including myself, really dislike.
Hope you enjoy the bread!
100% Whole Grain Banana Bread
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready in:
- Yield: 12 servings
- 1½ cups (195 grams) whole spelt, whole wheat pastry, or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup (100 grams) unrefined sugar, or normal brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup (85 grams) honey
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 medium bananas, mashed
- ½ cup (60 grams) chopped walnuts
- Cinnamon sugar (1 tablespoon unrefined sugar + 1 teaspoon cinnamon)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F / 175°C. Grease a 10.5″ x 3″ (27cm x 8cm) pan and grease it well.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar.
- In another medium-sized bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add honey, canola oil, vanilla and mashed bananas.
- To prevent more dish washing, I put one banana at a time in the liquid mix, and mash it with the bottom of a glass. If they’re ripe enough, really TRULY ripe enough, this will be easy. You can also puree the bananas. Add the nuts if using.
- Add the wet mix to the dry mix, but just until combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and add cinnamon sugar, if using.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Remember to adjust the time accordingly depending on pan size.
- Remove to a rack to cool for 15 minutes before turning out onto the rack to cool completely.
- If you live in a humid environment, refrigerate this after a few days. It’s incredibly moist and humidity isn’t its friend.