Looking for the chickpea cookies from Pinterest or Facebook? Here’s the original recipe!

Chickpea cookies! Chickpea cookies with no flour, no oil, no white sugar. These are just full of chickpeas. And they’re my very favorite healthy cookie so far! I don’t know if they really classify as cookies so I’ll go with cookie dough bites.

And as a bonus, they’re grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan. Just in case that matters to anyone out there! And if you’re worried about the chickpeas, don’t be. I don’t like chickpeas and won’t eat them but that didn’t prevent me from inhaling these.

The Original Grain-free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites - no white sugar, no oil, no flour! So gooey, simple and delicious! With a surprise ingredient |

These need the chocolate. Don’t go making them without the chocolate and then tell me that they weren’t sweet or gooey enough! These would be incredibly boring without the chocolate. And for some weird reason, these cookie dough bites do not taste yummy in dough form. Baking them somehow brings out the sweetness and peanut butter flavor. Or maybe it’s just all that melted chocolate.

The Original Grain-free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites - no flour, no oil and no white sugar! Quick, easy, and gooey with a surprise ingredient! |

One thing I’ve learned since starting this blog is that people really love closeups of melted stuff. So there you go. :)

The Original Grain-free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites - no flour, no sugar and no oil! Gooey, quick and easy with a surprise ingredient! |

These aren’t the most beautiful cookie dough bites, but fresh out of the oven, with all that gooey chocolate, I bet you can’t tell that these are made with chickpeas. Or are grain-free. But cold? Yuck. These need to be warm! You can either freeze the balls and pop a few in the oven whenever it’s on, or simply put them in the microwave until they’re warm and gooey again.

Please read the following before asking a question! It will probably answer it. :)

• Tons of people have posted the nutritional analysis for these. They’re supposedly anywhere between 80-130 calories, which seems like a huge range to me. Please use a recipe analyzer like on CalorieCount if you need more information.
  • You can use almond butter, sun butter, or whatever nut butter like you.
  • The peanut butter should be the kind with only peanuts and salt. No added fat or sugar. Be careful because there are some “natural” brands out there which aren’t really natural. I find that this peanut butter is usually expensive so I make my own. You can make your own in only 5 minutes with a food processor. Check that out here.
  • Chickpea flour won’t work. I don’t think plain hummus will either.
  • I haven’t tried anything other than chickpeas but others have used butter beans, navy beans, red kidney beans, great northern beans, and lentils with success. I generally don’t like goodies made with those types of beans but I love these cookies made with chickpeas. Please use chickpeas unless you have an allergy!
  • Doing this in a blender (unless it’s a Blendtec blender or something equally powerful) won’t work and might kill the blender.
  • Adding random stuff like eggs… probably won’t work either. ;) Experimenting is great but I think this is a bad recipe to experiment with. But thanks to the experimenters who left feedback, I’ve been able to update the recipe with alternatives to honey and peanut butter. Thanks everyone!
  • For a totally sugar free version, use 30 drops of Stevia and cacao nibs.
  • Do not double the recipe! It might be too much for your machine and could damage it.
  • For a vegan version, you can’t use honey. Use agave.
  • For a dairy-free version, use Enjoy Life chocolate chips. They’re just as delicious as regular chocolate chips. SO good!

And thanks for everyone who has pinned and left feedback. I really appreciate it. :)

Grain-free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites

• Yield: 14 1" cookies

• 1¼ cups canned chickpeas, well-rinsed and patted dry with a paper towel1
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • ½ cup + 2 tablespoons (165 grams) natural peanut butter, SunButter Natural or almond butter - room temperature 2
  • ¼ cup (80 grams) honey (commenters have used agave and maple syrup with success!)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder3
  • a pinch of salt if your peanut butter doesn't have salt in it
  • ½ cup (90 grams) chocolate chips (use vegan and dairy-free chocolate chips, if needed)

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F / 175°C. Combine all the ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, in a food processor and process until very smooth. Make sure to scrape the sides and the top to get the little chunks of chickpeas and process again until they're combined.
  2. Put in the chocolate chips and stir it if you can, or pulse it once or twice. The mixture will be very thick and sticky.
  3. With wet hands, form into 1½" balls. Place onto a Silpat or a piece of parchment paper. If you want them to look more like normal cookies, press down slightly on the balls. They don't do much rising.
  4. Bake for about 10 minutes. The dough balls will still be very soft when you take them out of the oven. They will not set like normal cookies.
  5. Store in an airtight container at room temperature (or in the fridge) for up to 1 week.

1. My can of chickpeas was 400 grams, 240 grams without the water, and I used all but a few tablespoons.
  2. Don't even try with regular peanut butter! They'll come out oily. You MUST use natural peanut butter. :)
  3. If you need grain-free baking powder, you can use 1 part cream of tartar + 1 part baking soda + 2 parts arrowroot.

Recipe by  |

1701 comments on “The Original Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites Recipe (aka Chickpea Cookies)” — Add one!

• nick pasley
    September 15, 2015 @ 7:00 am

Just made these to use up some chickpeas from my newly discovered aquafaba addiction.Had to make my own peanut butter (I will never buy again) I made them vegan and I’m going to make some aquafaba and coconut cream marshmallow topping.Thank you for the recipe-now I can eat chickpeas too!

• Erin replies to nick pasley
      September 15, 2015 @ 5:57 pm

I had to look up what aquafaba is. It’s so funny that you had to find something to use up the chickpeas on. :D I’m so happy these were able to solve your chickpea usage problem! I love the topping idea. Sounds delicious! Thanks so much for the feedback. :)

• Hungry Heather
    August 26, 2015 @ 12:27 am

Made with carob chips instead of chocolate and I learned that carob just doesn’t melt the way chocolate does! Bites are still good though, but next time I’ll either use real chocolate chips for sweetness or add some stevia to the dough along with the honey/agave.

• Erin replies to Hungry Heather
      August 26, 2015 @ 10:06 am

Bummer that the carob chips didn’t melt! I hope you’ll enjoy them more next time using real chocolate chips. :)

• Abbie says
    August 23, 2015 @ 9:19 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. Just made these and OBSESSED! Truly the definition of a guilt-free cookie. Thank you for sharing!!

• Erin replies to Abbie
      August 24, 2015 @ 10:44 am

I’m so happy that you enjoyed them! Hooray for guilt-free cookies, right? Thanks for your feedback. :)

• Megan
    August 13, 2015 @ 6:36 pm

Wow these look great! Pinning to try soon :)

• Erin replies to Megan
      August 16, 2015 @ 1:30 pm

Thanks, Megan! I hope you’ll enjoy them. :)

• Stacy says
    July 2, 2015 @ 8:29 pm

FYI: Of the five brands of chocolate chips currently in my refrigerator, four have sugar as the first ingredient and the fifth lists semi-sweet chocolate as the only ingredient with its ingredients in parenthesis and the first ingredient in the parenthesis is sugar. While most people who NEED to avoid white sugar probably know this, it would probably be best not to say your recipe has no white sugar in it.

• Taylor
    June 15, 2015 @ 11:33 pm

I have made these many times and they are delicious… Wanted to add my changes. :). Add a tablespoon of molasses… Gives you the “brown sugar” flavor while also giving additional nutrition. Also, highly recommend adding salt… Like 1/4 teaspoon or so. I have also subbed baking soda for the powder without issue. Yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

• Erin replies to Taylor
      June 17, 2015 @ 9:45 am

I love your molasses addition! Sounds yummy. :) And it’s good to know that baking soda works. Thanks for your feedback!

• Frank says
    June 10, 2015 @ 10:21 pm

Hi Erin,
    I just want to inform you that Sai from Road to Glory ( is posting your picture of The Original Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites Recipe (aka Chickpea Cookies) on facebook. They use your content to get facebook likes. Furthermore they post it in conjunction with affiliate links to make money. I think this is not ok. You should to get your share from that money.
    That is the link to the post:

• Erin replies to Frank
      June 10, 2015 @ 10:32 pm

Hi, Frank! Thanks for letting me know. I think it’s totally ridiculous that they say that the first ingredient is whey protein when that’s not even an ingredient in the recipe (to which they don’t even link to!) I just reported that post to Facebook so I’m sure it’ll be removed shortly. Thanks again for taking the time to write me! I really appreciate it.

• valerie
    June 2, 2015 @ 2:24 am

I have to say I was really skeptical about this recipe.. I only tried it cuz it looked so good in the picture.. but I don’t like any healthy substitutes in my sweets.. no applesauce, black bean brownies etc. so i went ahead and made these anyway, but did it really quickly… didn’t wait for peanut butter to cool and totally screwed up by adding a 1/2 cup instead of 1/4 cup of agave.. just cuz I wasn’t paying close attention.. instead of trying to make balls, I just scooped them on the parchment paper as I would chocolate chip cookies… when they baked they spread out and looked exactly like chocolate chip cookies and they were phenomenal!!! I know that is a lot of sugar, so I will try these again with the correct amount, but if you would like to try them as a grain free cookie as opposed to a cookie bite and are ok with the added sugar, I’d recommend that way as well. my 15 year old son ate one and loved it and didn’t even know that it wasn’t a “real” chocolate chip cookie :) thank you sooo much for this recipe!

• Erin replies to valerie
      June 2, 2015 @ 11:38 am

I certainly don’t mind more sugar so I’m definitely going to try them your way! I’d love to see how they come out. :) I’m so happy that you gave them a try and that you and your son enjoyed them. Thanks so much for your feedback!

• Gerri
    May 25, 2015 @ 4:34 am

Yum! I overheard someone in a restaurant talking about these and found this recipe. Glad I did! Used dried chickpeas I soaked and cooked myself. Only had hubby’s Jiff on hand for pb :( but they still taste awesome and not greasy at all. Very happy and will make them again!

• Erin replies to Gerri
      May 25, 2015 @ 8:06 pm

I love how you heard about this recipe. :) It seems as though people have mixed results with regular peanut butter so I’m happy to hear that it worked out for you. And good to know that soaking your own chickpeas works, too! Thanks a ton for your comment. :)

• Robin
    April 30, 2015 @ 5:44 pm

Last night my boyfriend requested black bean brownies, but when I went to make them, I realized I had used my last can. I did have garbanzo beans though, and I stumbled across this recipe. BF was super skeptical (why are they ALWAYS so skeptical?), but we both loved these! I had to keep him from eating the whole batch, and we each had one this morning with breakfast and thought they were just as good the next day.

Also, to add my 2 cents on the calorie count, I used a recipe analyzer and the ingredients I used (almond butter was the only substitution) came out to about 120 per bite.

I can’t wait to check out the rest of your site! :)

• Erin replies to Robin
      May 4, 2015 @ 8:23 am

That’s awesome that your boyfriend ended up liking them! I so wish that I liked them the next day. I wonder if I’m the one doing something wrong as everyone else seems to like them at room temperature. ;) Thanks so much for your feedback and sorry for my slow reply!

• Adriana says
    April 25, 2015 @ 12:36 am

I am not a vegan but I started cooking vegan meals and bake vegan. I made these cookie balls tonight and I must say I have had maybe 4 of them. They were so delish. I really like this recipe. Thanks!

• Erin replies to Adriana
      May 9, 2015 @ 6:17 pm

So happy that you liked them. :) Thanks for your feedback and sorry for my slow reply!

• Corina
    April 24, 2015 @ 11:21 pm

Thank you for this recipe! It’s yummy. :-) My hubs and I have been on an elimination diet and this has gotten us through! I just realized the last time (like the 5th time) I made these that you say room temp peanut butter. Duh! It helped a lot to have it room temp. They came together much better and required less scraping of the food processor bowl! I also used agave and it worked great! Thanks again!!

• Erin replies to Corina
      May 9, 2015 @ 6:19 pm

Interesting that room temperature peanut butter makes such a difference! Good to know. :) (it’s been a while since I’ve made them!) Thanks a ton for your feedback and so sorry for my ridiculously slow reply!

• Janine
    April 17, 2015 @ 4:08 pm

Tried your recipe last weekend. They taste quite special but delicious. But all my non-vegan and not-so-healthy friends didn’t like it *lol*
    I will sure bake them again!
    Greetings from Switzerland

• Erin replies to Janine
      April 18, 2015 @ 8:35 pm

Aww. I’m sorry your friends didn’t like them! Did you tell them that there were chickpeas in there before they tasted them? If you did, don’t mention that the next time you share with people. ;)

• Sarah
    April 9, 2015 @ 2:33 pm

instead of chocolate chips, I bake them without and then spread a thin layer of jam on the top and they are super yummy!!

• Erin replies to Sarah
      April 10, 2015 @ 9:29 pm

Mmm! That sounds like a great variation. Thanks for sharing. :)

• Robyn says
    April 8, 2015 @ 7:51 pm

Hi – I don’t have a food processor…do you think a magic bullet would work instead?

• Erin replies to Robyn
      April 8, 2015 @ 7:59 pm

I haven’t tried it but other commenters have with success. I hope you’ll enjoy them! :)

• Brittany
    March 31, 2015 @ 4:27 pm

I substituted the honey with maple syrup and the penut butter for almond butter and used dark chocolate chips. After they sat out for night they were amazing the next day! Thank you :)

• Erin replies to Brittany
      March 31, 2015 @ 9:15 pm

So interesting that you preferred them sitting out overnight! That’s great. Much better than only liking them fresh from the oven. ;) Thanks so much for your feedback!

• Debbie Bailey says
    March 30, 2015 @ 4:04 pm

Is there a way to get the nutritional value for the cookies?

• Erin replies to Debbie Bailey
      March 31, 2015 @ 9:16 pm

Yup! Check out the first bullet point in the post. :) Hope you’ll enjoy them if you try them!

• Meredith
    March 21, 2015 @ 9:23 pm

I used regular peanut butter (Skippy, to be exact) and they turned out perfect! Very delicious!

• Erin replies to Meredith
      March 22, 2015 @ 8:35 pm

That’s awesome that they came out well with Skippy! Some others have said that it makes their cookies greasy so maybe it also has to do with the chickpeas, honey, or something else. Thanks a bunch for the feedback! :)

• Erin
    March 20, 2015 @ 2:30 am

Hi Erin!
    I have been eying these cookies for almost 2 years and I finally made them tonight! They are delicious but I had a really hard time rolling them out; they kept sticking to my hands and I couldn’t roll them into pretty balls. Any suggestions?

• Erin replies to Erin
      March 21, 2015 @ 8:15 pm

I’m glad that you finally got a chance to make them! Next time you could try using wet hands to roll the balls and other commenters have mentioned using cookie scoops (which I think would destroy the kind of cookie scoop I have). One time I just forgot about the dough for about 30 minutes and when I got back to it, it was somehow less sticky and much easier to roll into balls. I hope that helps and thanks for your feedback!

• Kat
      replies to Erin
      March 21, 2015 @ 11:59 pm

Step 3. With wet hands, form into 1½” balls.
      Wetting your hands really helps :)
      My batter was also a little but on the thin side so I added a tablespoon coconut flour to help thicken it which also helped it be less sticky.
      Don’t have the patience to deal with the sticky cookie dough? Eating it raw is totally an option ;) delicious

• Erin replies to Kat
        March 22, 2015 @ 8:54 pm

Thin? I think that’s a new one! As long as they came out tasty, I guess all is well. :) And I like your idea of adding some coconut flour! Sounds yummy. Thanks for the feedback!

• Callie replies to Erin
      April 5, 2015 @ 4:57 am

I’ve made these twice, the first time, the peanut butter was sitting out at room temperature and the dough was really sticky when I rolled them.

The second time, I got the peanut butter straight from the fridge and the dough was much easier to work. I think it’s actually better if the peanut butter is a bit cold.

• Erin replies to Callie
        April 5, 2015 @ 9:41 pm

I always refrigerate my peanut butter and have never had really stick dough, so that could explain it. Thanks for the tip! I hope you enjoyed them. :)

• Rebecca
    March 19, 2015 @ 3:16 am

Thanks for posting this great recipe. I boldly omitted the chocolate (and had no cacao nibs) so my 18 month old could enjoy without me then navigating a refined sugar high and crash… if you add adequate PB and honey the flavour is still deliciously peanutty and sweet without the choc guilt. Yum.

• Erin replies to Rebecca
      March 19, 2015 @ 7:46 pm

I’m happy that you and your little one could still enjoy them without the chocolate! I’ll have to try it that way one day, just to see how peanutty they truly are. Thanks for your feedback!

• Lisa says
    March 8, 2015 @ 9:40 pm

Wow! Made these no-bake and they were truly delish! covered each ball in chia seeds for extra nutrition and some crunch. thanks for a true winner!

• Erin replies to Lisa
      March 27, 2015 @ 6:59 pm

So sorry for my slow reply! I’m happy that you enjoyed these. :) I love your chia seed addition!

• Lauren McLean says
    February 25, 2015 @ 3:16 pm

How many cookies does this make??

• louella-Marie Williams says
    February 15, 2015 @ 7:26 pm

I have a nut allergy, is there anything else I could use to make the cookies?

• Taylor Johnson
    February 3, 2015 @ 10:33 pm

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these! Thanks for sharing. I have made them for non- paleo company, and people always want the recipe, and that says a lot!

• Erin replies to Taylor Johnson
      February 4, 2015 @ 8:13 pm

That’s awesome that everyone enjoyed them! I love it when a healthy recipe is a hit with all kinds of crowds. :) Thanks so much for the feedback!

• Akram Abdel-Rahman
    February 3, 2015 @ 5:31 pm

I have done these a few times now. Took some to work and everyone enjoyed them and they are asking me about the recipe and so forth. My kids also love them. Thanks a lot for sharing!
    I concur that trying to do 2 portions at one time will put your food processor at risk :). Do one portion at a time.

I am curious to know the nutritional value of these, any idea?

• Erin replies to Akram Abdel-Rahman
      February 4, 2015 @ 8:23 pm

It’s always a good sign when people ask about the recipe and even better that your kids liked them! For nutritional info, check out the first bulletpoint in the post. :) Thanks so much for your feedback! It’s much appreciated.

• Eliabeth
    February 2, 2015 @ 11:10 pm

Hi! What a great recipe! I didn’t have a special blender so I added 1/4 -1/2 cup water and processed in my ninja. I forgot to measure out the beans I used the whole can! I added 1 Tbsp of coconut flour to take up the extra moisture. I used a one inch ice cream scoop and flattened a bit. Cooked them at 350 for 12 minutes…relly hard to stop eating them! Thank you!!!

• Erin replies to Eliabeth
      February 3, 2015 @ 1:30 pm

Hi, there! Good call on adding a little coconut flour to suck up the extra moisture. :) I’m so happy that they worked out in your Ninja! And your ice cream scoop sounds like a much better idea than rolling them into balls. I’ll have to try that next time! Thanks so much for the feedback. :)

• Patti Miller
    January 31, 2015 @ 11:33 pm

I made these cookies and used regular Jiff PB, then added 1/2 cup of Oatmeal they are delish! I used a 1″ cookie scoop and baked them in my mini muffin tins…super easy. And I like them cold as well as warm from the oven…

• Erin replies to Patti Miller
      February 2, 2015 @ 3:28 pm

I love the idea of baking them in mini muffin tins! Sounds fun. And awesome that they came out with regular peanut butter and added oatmeal. :) Thanks so much for your feedback!

• janet replies to Patti Miller
      February 6, 2015 @ 2:44 am

how much oatmeal did you use?

• mymansbelly says
    January 28, 2015 @ 10:22 pm

I’ve been making all kinds of stuff with chickpeas since reading your chickpea cookie recipe. Who knew they were so versatile?

• Erin replies to mymansbelly
      February 17, 2015 @ 9:29 pm

What else have you made? I’m curious. :)

• Hadar says
    January 28, 2015 @ 1:07 am

These came out tasty and delicious. They have somewhat of a mushy consistency but the peanut butter and chocolate flavoring make them yummy. I used regular skippy low fat pb. I would bake them for 12 minutes instead of ten next time.

• Erin replies to Hadar
      January 28, 2015 @ 9:59 pm

I’m happy you liked them! They do come out kind of dough-like but like you said, the peanut butter and chocolate make them nothing but good. :) Thanks for your feedback!

• Ann says
    January 24, 2015 @ 10:30 pm

A friend passed this recipe along to me yesterday and I made it today. I love the fudgy consistency and my kids enjoyed them as well. I will definitely make again and share over at The Fountain Avenue Kitchen. Thanks for the brilliant, healthy recipe!

• Erin replies to Ann
      January 25, 2015 @ 4:05 pm

Thanks for sharing! And I’m happy that you and your friend enjoyed the cookies. :) Thanks a bunch for your feedback!

• Ann replies to Erin
        January 25, 2015 @ 4:37 pm

Even my younger son–who does not like beans one little bit–enjoyed these. :-)

• Erin replies to Ann
          February 17, 2015 @ 9:38 pm

I don’t like beans, either, so I can totally appreciate that. ;)

• Beverly says
    January 13, 2015 @ 12:54 pm

I love this recipe…I use Almond butter, and added a egg for one batch just to see what would happen. Weirdly I got 6 more cookies out of the batch and they came out looking more like cookies made with flour..tasted good. But I still prefer no egg.

• Erin replies to Beverly
      January 13, 2015 @ 9:12 pm

It’s good to know that the egg-free version is the best one. :) Though now I’m curious, too! Thanks for the feedback. :)

• Jenn says
    January 9, 2015 @ 3:21 pm

I use a good-tasting pure stevia (powder) in smoothies & my coffee, but haven’t had great success w/ baking w/ it. Have you ever tasted these cookies made w/ liquid stevia? How do they compare to using say maple syrup?

Thank you!

• Erin replies to Jenn
      January 12, 2015 @ 11:54 am

I’ve never tried these myself with stevia, but lots of commenters have used the liquid kind with success. They said they used about 30 drops. I’m not sure how it tastes in comparison to using maple syrup, though. Sorry about that! I personally don’t like using stevia in baking but maybe that’s just me. And so sorry for my slow reply!

• Angie says
    January 7, 2015 @ 6:09 pm

I was wondering if I could use PB2 in place of the peanut butter or almond butter. :)

• Erin replies to Angie
      January 7, 2015 @ 7:41 pm

Other people have mentioned using it with success. I’ve never used it but I think they just followed the directions on the container on how to mix it up. I hope you’ll enjoy them! :)

• Michelle says
    December 26, 2014 @ 3:04 am

Sorry, my previous comment was meant for another cookie recipe :/ that’s what I get for trying to comment and hold my 10 month old at the same time. I’ll let you know how they turn out when I do make them.

• Erin replies to Michelle
      December 29, 2014 @ 8:47 pm

No problem! I hope you’ll enjoy them. :) I’ll delete the other comment for you!