Maple Cinnamon Apple Chips

Making these healthy cinnamon apple chips costs a fraction of the store bought kind! You can use no sweetener at all but for a real treat, a little maple syrup adds an amazing touch.

For these homemade apple chips, you just need some apples, maple syrup and cinnamon. Slice and apples and lay them out on a baking sheet and bake for a few hours. That’s all you do! You can make them super crispy but what I like to do is slightly underbake them. That results in a slightly chewy and candy-like chip. Really, like candy! At least to me. The really crisp ones weren’t nearly as exciting, but I’m not a fan of crispy things.

I made some apple chips without anything at all on them and they were okay, but once you try one with the maple cinnamon mixture, I don’t think you can go back to eating the plain version. But for a healthy sugar-free snack, they’re great.

Homemade Maple Cinnamon Apple Chips - can be sugar-free or lightly sweetened with maple syrup! Naturally vegan and gluten-free.

These healthy apple chips pretty easy to make if you have a mandoline and doable with just a knife, but I’m not very talented in the cutting department, so I went with the madoline. My only issue with these is that you can’t make loads at a time. The apples can’t overlap and even with three trays in the oven at once, I wanted more. The two of us went through them so quickly that I really don’t recommend making these for a party (that’d be a healthy party, wouldn’t it? ;)) or for any crowds. You won’t want to share!

Despite that, these cinnamon apple chips are absolutely worth making!

Apples vary in size and moisture content, so it might take you more or less time. Find something to do in the kitchen and keep an eye on them after the first 30 minutes! And if you have leftover maple cinnamon mix, just keep it for pancakes.

Maple Cinnamon Apple Chips

Rated 5.0 by 1 reader
Maple Cinnamon Apple Chips
  • Yield: 3 trays

• 3 - 5 medium apples
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon

1. Preheat your oven to 250°F (121°C) and prepare three jellyroll pans or cookie sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.
  2. Mix together the maple syrup and cinnamon in a large bowl big enough to hold all the apple slices and set aside.
  3. If you have an apple corer, core the apples. Start with three apples and if you still have room after those are on the trays, core the last two. If you don't have an apple corer, it's not a problem. Use a knife to cut them as evenly as possible. Using a mandoline, slice the apples to about ⅛". Mine were a little thinner. If you didn't core the apples, discard the seeds.
  4. Place the apples in the maple cinnamon mixture and coat the apples very, very carefully so that they don't break. Alternatively, you can just place the uncoated apples on the Silpat and use a pastry brush to coat each one, but I found that this takes too long.
  5. Place the apple rings on a Silpat or piece of parchment paper, making sure that the apples aren't overlapping.
  6. Bake for 1½ - 2 hours, but check at 30 minutes and every 20 minutes following that. I was in the kitchen and was able to open the oven door every 10 minutes for the first 40 minutes to let out the moisture. This will make your baking time be closer to 1½ hours instead of 2. Turn the chips every 30 minutes.
  7. When you take the apple chips out of the oven, they'll still be quite soft, but what you can do it let them sit at room temperature for 5 or 10 minutes and if they don't crisp up, put them back in the oven.
  8. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.

Notes

• If you don't have a Silpat, you can use parchment paper but some of the apples will stick. Just make sure to loosen them when you take them out of the oven.
  • If you leave these uncovered for too long, they'll get soft again. I put them back in the oven for 10 minutes or so and they crisped right up. Make sure you store them in something airtight to prevent them from getting soft.

46 comments on “Maple Cinnamon Apple Chips” — Add one!

• Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations
    January 8, 2014 @ 4:02 am

We brought a huge box of apple home from visiting my parents over Christmas. I love eating them “straight up” but also wanted to be a little creative. I remembered your cinnamon maple apple chips and I am so glad I tried this. They were awesome! All gone already

• Erin replies to Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations
      January 8, 2014 @ 1:52 pm

You brought apples home from Germany?! And you made these? Oh my. I would have eaten those “straight up”! Can’t waste precious apples from the garden on these. ;) But I’m happy you did and that you liked them! Thanks so much for the feedback and the rating! :D

• Megan {Country cleaver} says
    October 11, 2013 @ 4:03 am

I used to eat these up like they were going out of style! I can’t believe I’ve never made them myself before! Obviously that needs to change!

• Erin replies to Megan {Country cleaver}
      October 11, 2013 @ 6:28 pm

Yeah, you do! ;) I normally eat the entire batch in one sitting so I’ve had to stop making them. Booo.

• Bea says
    September 22, 2013 @ 5:55 pm

Sounds divine! I have SO many apples this year … and have run out of ideas to preserve them for winter. Don’t have a dehydrator so assume this method will work. But how long can these be stored? Thanks for the inspiration!

• Erin replies to Bea
      September 22, 2013 @ 8:09 pm

I’m afraid they won’t last very long. A few days or a week at most. Too bad they won’t last all winter! I hope you’ll still try them. :) And thanks for asking! I’ve added that info to the recipe.

• Jodie Vasichek says
    September 22, 2013 @ 4:34 pm

I have always loved your posts! But I have been happy to see that lately your recipes are being shared through bloggers like Nourished Kitchen! That is great! And also how I found this recipe. :) Thanks and I will be making these soon!

• Erin replies to Jodie Vasichek
      September 22, 2013 @ 8:12 pm

Aww, that’s so nice of you, Jodie! I, too, am happy to see the other bloggers sharing my recipes. ;) Thanks so much for your nice comment! I hope you’ll love the chips. Let me know how they come out!

• Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies says
    September 18, 2013 @ 3:55 am

Oh yes, I definitely prefer chewy to crispy too. I mean, I won’t say no to crispy apple chips, but I will enthusiastically say yes to chewy ones.

• Erin replies to Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies
      September 18, 2013 @ 12:34 pm

Same here. And the same with apples. Give me a soft apple! Those crisp ones give me goosebumps (and I’m totally serious here :))

• Jessica says
    September 2, 2013 @ 10:59 pm

I just made these this afternoon for my kids school lunch snacks. Not only are they a hit with the fam, my house smells amazing! I used fresh butternut syrup and cinnamon and they’re amazingly flavorful and crisp! Thanks for the recipe.

• Erin replies to Jessica
      September 4, 2013 @ 7:53 pm

I’d never heard of butternut syrup before so I looked it up just now. Sounds interesting! I’m so happy to hear that you and your kids enjoyed the chips. And I agree – don’t they make the house smell like heaven?! Thanks so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it! :)

November 12, 2012 @ 2:18 am

I just made these apple chips changing the baking method. I just didn't rotate them because I was press for time doing a million other things :-) and they came out great.

I really really enjoyed these chips and I will make them quite often. I was thinking about using pears next time! I hope to post the recipe this week if I get to manage to have some chips left :-)

• Erin replies to eatgood4life.blogspot.com
      November 12, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

Well that's even better! I'm so happy to hear that you liked them. :) You're one of the few bloggers that actually leaves feedback on the original recipes instead of just making a post about it (one of my biggest pet peeves!) so thank you. You're the best! And I can't wait to see your post. :)

• Heather says
    November 8, 2012 @ 7:23 pm

I admit I was a little hesitant to make these because of how often you had to check on them and sometimes its hard for me to commit to a recipe like that when I'm at home with my 3 year old and baby, but I'm glad I tried it out today. My baby who usually only naps for 20 minutes at a time had a nice long one and my 3 year old who insists on baking daily loved helping me. The house smelled heavenly while they baked and they turned out delicous. I love your blog so much!

• Erin replies to Heather
      November 8, 2012 @ 10:21 pm

Wow, I'm impressed that you bake daily with a baby and a 3 year old around. Good job. :) I hope my future children are so enthusiastic about baking! I'm happy that you tried the apples despite the time issue. And even happier that you enjoyed them. Thank you very much for your nice comment and thanks a ton for leaving feedback. It made my day!

• butterbaking says
    November 8, 2012 @ 11:50 am

Yum! Gorgeous photo, too!

November 8, 2012 @ 12:47 am

Yum! I loooooooove apple chips. I know what you mean, I make as many as I can make and I still want more, haha. Actually, last year I really went nuts and made a ton(just plain) and then my little brother in law and sister in law ate a whole bunch. That just means I have to make more this year, right? :D I love the sound of that coating on these!

• Erin replies to Heidi @ Food Doodles
      November 8, 2012 @ 10:17 pm

You're very nice to share your apple chips! I'm not so nice. They're all mine. Until I have an apple chip production line going, that is. :) And I hope you try the coating! So yummy. Undercook them just a little and they're really like candy! I'd much rather have these than candy and I LOVE candy.

• sally @ sallys baking addiction says
    November 7, 2012 @ 10:22 pm

Erin! I've never made my own apple chips before. Yours look wonderful – and SO SO easy. I need a mandoline!!!! Maple and cinnamon are the BEST flavors with apples. :)

• Erin replies to sally @ sallys baking addiction
      November 7, 2012 @ 11:20 pm

Thank you! And you gotta get one! They're also super handy for making potatoes au gratin. Carbs and cheese are another favorite of mine. :)

November 7, 2012 @ 8:47 pm

I don't know if i've ever had apple chips, but i love apples, so i'm intrigued! and you're right – we're still eating halloween candy here. in fact, i just treated myself to another piece.

• Erin replies to amy @ fearless homemaker
      November 7, 2012 @ 11:17 pm

Aww, but apple chips are the best kind of chips! Potato chips are a disaster nutritionally, kale chips are just a disaster and apple chips? Perfect!

• The Life of Clare says
    November 7, 2012 @ 2:40 am

These look delicious! Do you think you could make them in a food dehydrator? the temperature only goes to about 70 degrees celsius, but you could them over a longer period of time.

• Erin replies to The Life of Clare
      November 7, 2012 @ 11:14 pm

I'm sure you could! If I had one, I would have round the clock apple chips production. It would be glorious! :)

• Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts says
    November 7, 2012 @ 12:42 am

Aren't you all nice detoxing everyone! Wish I would have thought of that :) These look great, and I love the maple with them!

• Nicole @ Lapetitebaker says
    November 6, 2012 @ 7:28 pm

Apple chips always get thrown into my grocery basket but they are not cheap. I'm so glad I can make them at home now!

• Baltic Maid says
    November 6, 2012 @ 7:33 am

I love apple chips! My grandpa used to make them. What an awesome combination of flavours here! They look so amazing. Thanks for sharing this.

• Erin replies to Baltic Maid
      November 6, 2012 @ 9:03 pm

Aww, really?! That's so nice. Awesome grandpa. :)

• Carla Walker says
    November 6, 2012 @ 3:19 am

I was going to make some apple chips today but I don't have a mandolin and wasn't in the mood for cutting them with a knife haha. I need to go get one so I can start making these! They look beautiful!

• Erin replies to Carla Walker
      November 6, 2012 @ 9:03 pm

Yeah, I think it'd just take too long with a knife. Get a mandoline! And thanks. :)

• Elizabeth says
    November 5, 2012 @ 11:20 pm

Such a wonderful combination!

• Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking says
    November 5, 2012 @ 10:22 pm

These are great, Erin! I've got a bushel of apples that need a creative recipe, and this is perfect. Thanks for sharing.

• Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious says
    November 5, 2012 @ 9:00 pm

What an awesome detox! I could munch on these all day!

• Loretta E. says
    November 5, 2012 @ 6:02 pm

These look so good! I bet they'd be great in a dehydrator, but that still probably wouldn't get you enough!

• Erin replies to Loretta E.
      November 5, 2012 @ 8:57 pm

I think you're right! Nothing could ever give me enough chewy apple chips. ;)

November 5, 2012 @ 5:14 pm

I really like this. I have tons of apples so this would be great to make and give as a snack for my kids. It looks really easy to make as well :-)

• london bakes says
    November 5, 2012 @ 2:48 pm

These look like such a tasty snack particularly with that maple/cinnamon coating. So delicious!

• Erin replies to london bakes
      November 5, 2012 @ 8:56 pm

Yeah maple cinnamon! I want to put it on everything now. :)