Pumpkin Chai Latte

This pumpkin chai latte is lightly sweetened with maple syrup and is full of warm, cozy fall spices!

Pumpkin Chai Latte | texanerin.com

I wanted to get in on the pumpkin spice latte action, but I don’t drink coffee. And I didn’t drink tea either up until I tried this. I mean, with pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin and maple syrup, it couldn’t be all that bad, right? I had to try. And this pumpkin chai latte was a huge success!

I’ve started drinking tea, but I can only drink it if it’s made with milk. With water, it gives me a stronger headache than the one I already have. And it also has to have lots and lots of spice. I can’t deal with it otherwise. Mr. Texanerin thought that this was a little spice heavy so feel free to cut back. I just added some extra milk to his and that problem was solved.

Because of my limited supply of pumpkin, I normally make this without the pumpkin and it’s nowhere as good. So don’t leave it out! And I guess it’s clear – a pumpkin chai latte needs pumpkin. ;)

Pumpkin Chai Latte | texanerin.com

The main reason I tried tea was because I’m constantly exhausted. No matter what I do. I almost always get at least eight hours of sleep, don’t have a stressful or full-time job, but I’m still kaput all the time (too kaput to even read my favorite food blogs… sorry blogging friends!) I always nap every day after work, regardless of what time I get home and the naps make me even more tired. Anyone have any tips to help wake me up? :) And yes, I’ve been to the doctor several times! No help there.

I was supposed to post some homemade KitKats on Tuesday but I actually fell asleep while writing that post. At 7pm. And now that it’s after Halloween, I’m guessing you all don’t want candy. So I hope this hardly sweet pumpkin chai latte will do!

Pumpkin Chai Latte

Pumpkin Chai Latte
  • Yield: 2 cups

• ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon (75 grams) pumpkin puree
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1½ teaspoons vanilla
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon1
  • ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
  • ⅛ teaspoon allspice
  • ⅛ teaspoon ginger
  • 2 cups milk of your choosing
  • 2 bags of black tea

1. In a small saucepan, bring all the ingredients, except for the tea bags, to a boil over medium heat. Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the tea bags, and let the tea bags steep for 3 minutes (or however long the tea bags say). Sprinkle with some cinnamon before serving if desired.

Notes

1. You can replace the different spices with pumpkin pie spice. Use ½ + ⅛ teaspoons.

73 comments on “Pumpkin Chai Latte” — Add one!

• Nanettel says
    April 29, 2014 @ 7:18 pm

This sounds yummy! I love both Chai tea and pumpkin so it should be a great combination! I hope you have found a solution to your health issues by now. It could be allergies or food sensitivities, which are pretty widespread. I would also recommend checking out a website, stopthethyroidmadness.com. There are a lot of symptoms, including fatigue, which can be associated with Thyroid issues. It is often unrecognized or mis-diagnosed. This site and the book can really help you do your own research and be prepared to talk with your doctor about the tests and treatment that you really need. Most doctors don’t pay attention to your symptoms and brush it off if they think tests are normal. It was years before I found a doctor who listened to me and paid attention to my actual symptoms and actually did the additional tests needed to diagnose me with Hypo-thyroidism. Good luck and I hope you are feeling better!

• Erin replies to Nanettel
      April 29, 2014 @ 10:12 pm

Thanks so much for your comment, Nanettel! I still have the same health issues. I’ve been tested for thyroid issues but all the tests come back normal but like you said, tests don’t say everything! I’ll definitely take a look at that website. I hope that everything is going well for you now that you’ve found a doctor who will listen to you and treat you properly. :) Thanks again!

• lisa says
    November 29, 2013 @ 3:39 am

Thanks for the recipie! You may be gluten intolerant or celiac. What you descibed was exactly how my mom and I were before diagnosis. Hope you feel better!

• Erin replies to lisa
      December 4, 2013 @ 12:55 pm

So sorry for the slow reply! I’ve had a bit of a comment issue. Thanks so much for the tip! I’ve tried a gluten-free month before but I think I may need to experiment a little longer (and not cheat!) I hope you liked the recipe. :)

• Meme
    ♥♥♥♥
    November 8, 2013 @ 10:14 pm

You may be anemic.there are different types of anemias which need specific tests for detection.on the other hand there is a long list why fatigue cannot be overcome.for the basics try good and fresh air in the house.during daytime use sunlight as the artificial light sources also causes fatigue.use fresher scents of lemon.i hope you are not unhappy about something and of course are you comfortable with the place you sleep.

• Erin replies to Meme
      November 9, 2013 @ 8:17 pm

Thanks for your advice, Meme! I know I’ve had tests for anemia but I’m not sure how specific they were. I’ll ask my doctor next time I go. I do use sunlight when it’s available but between October and April, there’s rarely any sun where I live. Which is probably part of the problem. :( Thanks again for the tips!

• Brandy
    October 3, 2013 @ 9:05 pm

WOAH, I can’t wait to try this! I plan on making homemade coconut milk tonight, so this is perfect!

• Anonymous says
    December 12, 2012 @ 8:42 am

Wow, I just made this, it is my new all time favorite!! I recently found out that I am insulin resistant and I am having to cut out processed sugars. Chai was the first thing to go, but is has gotten harder to abstain as the weather gets colder. You are my savior, thanks for sharing!

• Erin replies to Anonymous
      December 12, 2012 @ 10:56 pm

Your comment most definitely made my day! Thank you so much. :) I'm so happy that the recipe helped you out with your lack of chai. Thanks again for your super nice comment and good luck with the insulin resistance. I'm going to try to make more recipes sweetened with dates so be sure to check back! :)

• DOE says
    November 24, 2012 @ 6:44 am

Hello Erin! Great recipe for pumpkin latte…btw, if you are still feeling tired with or without naps etc…you may want to have your Vitamin D levels checked…I was feeling this way about 6months ago…..had some bloodwork done… and this came up 4 me….got VitD supplement and started doing juice cleanses and wow…my energy is BACK! Just a thought…read yr blog above and it sounded incredibly familiar! Good Luck and great blogging!

• Erin replies to DOE
      November 26, 2012 @ 7:42 pm

Hi there! I just have a little Vitamin D deficiency. I'm taking it anyway as the doctor said it wouldn't hurt. :) I'd be so happy if it'd help! I'm glad to hear that it worked for you. It must be great to find out the solution to such a problem. I hope I will some day. :) Thanks for your advice!

• Scrapper Pearl says
    November 18, 2012 @ 10:57 pm

Can't help but post in regards to gluten intolerance…sorry, but it sounds very suspiciously so. Yup, it's a pain. But the negative reinforcements keep me on the straight and narrow, so to speak. Actually, it may be a good plan to be tested while you still have gluten in your system; you are much more apt to get a positive reading. Hope you can find the help you need!

• Erin replies to Scrapper Pearl
      November 20, 2012 @ 7:09 pm

Sorry for my slow reply! I've already started my gluten-free month because the doctors don't think that gluten is the problem and therefore won't test me for it. I've read up on it and I don't seem to have most of the symptoms (and nothing really stomach related) so I'm hopeful! Thank you very much for your advice. :) I'll mention in a future post if this month made a difference or not.

• Mandie says
    November 13, 2012 @ 7:25 pm

I regularly read your blog, but have never commented before, but this post strikes home for me. A couple years ago I approached my doctor saying the same thing, I was exhausted all the time, sleeping 12 hours a night and still needing a nap. Her response "Well that's not normal", um, duh? So they ran a full blood work-up and everything was normal, so that was the last I heard about it from her. I felt like I got the giant brush off. Finally I went to see a naturopath who ran food allergy tests and I found out I was sensitive to things I ate frequently and cutting those out has helped a lot. Also, even though I didn't show as sensitive to gluten, I find when I cut back on it as much as I can (but I love eating it and baking with it, so it's hard to do all the time), I find it helped with my exhaustion and headaches (which I was getting frequently, but they weren't horrible). I'm not the healthiest of eaters, but I find when I am better I feel better. Iron rich foods (spinach and kale) and more protein. I would highly suggest seeing a naturopath if you have access to one.

• Erin replies to Mandie
      November 13, 2012 @ 9:29 pm

Hi Mandie! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. That sounds exactly like me. And the same with the doctors. I mentioned in the comments that I was going to the doctor again and would mention it and I did. I was told to drink tea. And I asked her, "Are you sure it can't be food related?" and was told, "No no no… definitely not." I'll have to look into naturopaths. I already know I'm allergic (but not seriously) to almost everything, but those tests were done 10-12 years ago. Maybe I should be checked out again to see what's going on with that. Thanks again for taking the time to write me! I really appreciate it.

• Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations says
    November 13, 2012 @ 8:50 am

Oh Erin, I am so sorry about your fatigue issues. I can relate somewhat. I used to be always tired, unmotivated and kinda blue especially during grey Canadian winter in BC. Now that we are in Asia it has totally changed.

Sunshine might be one reason, but I think way more exercise (we walk almost everywhere) and much more fruit&vegetables; in our diets and cutting back on wheat and grain products have much to do with it too.

Also, do you have much stress in your life? My husband says this is a major reason why he feels so much better here.

I really hope you can get to the core of it soon and feel great and energized again :D

• Erin replies to Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations
      November 13, 2012 @ 9:21 pm

I'm happy that you're better! I have other issues which make exercise pretty painful at the moment so I've stopped. But I'm going to start back up again and hope that this helps! And I do need to eat more veggies. This is just more motivation to do so! I don't have much stress in my life. Not obvious stress, anyway. I really dislike it here so I suppose that's a form of stress, but I don't have work stress or anything like that. Thanks for your advice! It's pushed me to eat better. :)

• Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations replies to Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations
      November 27, 2012 @ 7:32 am

Oh now :( Living out of balance/harmony can be very stressful. But there is probably not much you can do about that. I think I remember reading you went to Germany to follow your love? Not sure what to say here, but I soo hope you can feel better soon.

• Erin replies to Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations
      November 27, 2012 @ 7:51 pm

Yep, he's a student so there's nothing I can really do to change the situation. I'd be happier here with him than in the US without him. So I'll patiently wait and hope I get better! I really have a feeling that Germany is my problem, though. But maybe I'd like it better in another city. Thanks again for your kind words. :)

November 8, 2012 @ 12:41 am

Um… So I just typed part of my comment and then the page refreshed and I lost it… Lol, so if you find part of a comment you know where that came from! Anyways, I was saying that I'm so sorry that you're so tired all the time :( That really sucks. I go through phases like that where I don't feel like doing anything, even working out which I usually love. I don't even know what causes it. Ok, some times it's because I'm eating too much sugar and wheat, haha. But some times I don't know what causes it. Maybe try a good multivitamin? I know for a long time I didn't get enough iron, or vitamin D. It's also that grey depressing time of year too, that always makes me more tired that usual :( Oh, and I almost forgot, your latte looks amaaaaazing! I love chai :D

• Erin replies to Heidi @ Food Doodles
      November 13, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

Oh no, Heidi! I just saw this. And sorry about your lost comment. I hate that! Don't you think you get exhausted of taking care of three kids? I know I'd be constantly if I had to take care of even one. I've said it before… I don't know how you do everything that you do! Oh and for anyone else reading this, I got vitamin D, iron and a light therapy light! I'm going to slay this exhaustion. Thank you very much for your advice. :)

• The Life of Clare says
    November 7, 2012 @ 3:47 am

This sounds so delicious! I love that it's a tea latte and nt coffee too!

• Erin replies to The Life of Clare
      November 7, 2012 @ 11:21 pm

Thanks! I don't think it has much of a waking-up-effect on me but at least it's yummy. :)

• Carla Walker says
    November 6, 2012 @ 11:48 pm

Im so sorry about your tiredness :( That doesnt sound fun. But this tea looks so good and comforting. I am going to need to make this one soon :)

November 6, 2012 @ 9:09 pm

I don't snore. One thing I don't have a problem with. :) And I don't think it's sleep apnea. One theory is that I don't enter the deep sleep stage, so I don't sleep properly and therefore am constantly tired. It makes sense, but who knows. Thanks for the tip!

• JulieD says
    November 6, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

Do you snore? Could it be sleep apnea – I have it, if you want to chat sometime about it, I'm here! This chai latte looks amazing!!

• sally @ sallys baking addiction says
    November 5, 2012 @ 12:25 pm

OMG erin, what i would give to have a huge mug of this right now instead of my morning coffee. you totally just made my day. PINNING this recipe. I cannot stop drooling over it! After work, I am usually exhausted as well. I do drink a lot of coffee but black tea is a nice switch up every now and then!

• Erin replies to sally @ sallys baking addiction
      November 5, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

What time do you get up?! I saw this comment come in and thought, "Shouldn't she be sleeping?" Goodness. That's going to the airport time for me. :) Anyway, thanks for pinning! I'm happy that my tea looks so good to you. :)

• Sonia! The Healthy Foodie says
    November 5, 2012 @ 11:32 am

I'm also thinking gluten intolerance, Erin… sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear, but all the signs lead to it. If I were you, I wouldn't wait for doctors to test, I would just eliminate it from my diet right now and see what happens. Try it for 30 days. One tiny little month. I'm guessing you'll see an unbelievable improvement. And if you don't, well at least you will then know you can sort of rule this out! ;)

I hate knowing that you are not feeling well my friend. Please, please, say that you will give it a try.

• Erin replies to Sonia! The Healthy Foodie
      November 5, 2012 @ 12:19 pm

This is going to sound terrible, but I just need to make some dinner rolls to post for Thanksgiving and then I will try going gluten free. And you're right, it's better to try than just wait. I've asked the doctors about the problem being food but they've all said no. I'll try anyway because it can't hurt. And then I can stop wondering! Thanks for your advice. I will try it so don't worry. :) I'll let you know when I start!

• Sonia! The Healthy Foodie replies to Sonia! The Healthy Foodie
      November 5, 2012 @ 5:48 pm

And I will be there to support you, my friend!

And I can't believe the doctors would rule out food as being the culprit. It's the first thing I would look at! It's only logical. It's almost like they're saying "cigarettes and coffee have nothing to do with bad breath, we obviously have to look some place else". Same kind of nonesense. Well, to me, anyways.

And ps… you can quit gluten now and make an exception for the rolls, you know! ;)

• Erin replies to Sonia! The Healthy Foodie
      November 5, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

I think it's nonsense, too. But like I've told you before, I've been tested as being allergic to everything so maybe the wheat finally got to me. Or maybe something else. We'll see! And I'm going shopping for gluten-free stuff tomorrow so that I can ease into it rather than going cold turkey. You know I can't possibly live on veggies and meat. ;)

• Seth and Dionna Schmidt says
    November 5, 2012 @ 12:56 am

Hi! Thanks for this yummy recipe! Have you heard of "Nourishing Traditions"? It is a cookbook based on a diet proposed by a doctor from the early 1900's named Weston A. Price. This diet has contributed to our health over the last 3 years. It may help you on your journey to find relief from headaches and chronic fatigue. I am sorry that you have constant headaches. Your blog is so upbeat and sweet that you must be a person of strong character to be constantly in a pain, but still positive

• Erin replies to Seth and Dionna Schmidt
      November 5, 2012 @ 12:14 pm

Hi! I haven't heard about that book but I'll definitely check it out. I'm happy to hear that it's helped you with your health. :) And thanks for your very sweet comment. It gave me a big smile. :) Sometimes I feel like I'm a bit negative on here so I'm happy that I don't come across that way!

November 5, 2012 @ 12:31 am

This drink looks really appetizing right now? I need something warm :-) and even though I don't like pumpkin much I could probably drink this no problems.

Have you tried to test and see if you have any nutritional deficiencies? You could have low iron and magnesium. Symptoms are tiredness, fatigue and headaches…..just a thought. Taking a mineral supplement may do you some good but testing for iron deficiencies is something rather simple and that could be the answer.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Erin replies to eatgood4life.blogspot.com
      November 5, 2012 @ 12:10 pm

I have had tests done but I don't know about magnesium. I'll have to check my records! Thank you for the tip. :) And it doesn't have that much pumpkin in it. I bet you'd be okay with this. ;)

• Ashley Bunch says
    November 4, 2012 @ 7:25 pm

You are great and so patient to hear everyone's health suggestions. I have two cents to add… have you considered low thyroid? I think I went through a period of low thyroid and took a certain vitamin that returned it to normal. Like you, I had lots of fatigue.
    This recipe looks and sounds amazing and I hope to give it a go after I make some fresh pumpkin puree!!! Thank you for posting!!

• Erin replies to Ashley Bunch
      November 4, 2012 @ 10:27 pm

Patient? Nah. I asked for suggestions! The doctors aren't helping so I was hoping some of you guys had some ideas. :) I've had a thyroid ultrasound and several blood tests to check for thyroid problems but they all appear normal. Thank you for the suggestion! I'm happy that a vitamin was able to help you and that you're over the fatigue! I hope you're able to make some puree soon so that you can try this. Let me know how it goes. :)

• Jessica@AKitchenAddiction says
    November 4, 2012 @ 7:16 pm

I love pumpkin chai lattes! Now I can make them myself! This could be bad. . .

• playfulandhungry.com says
    November 4, 2012 @ 2:39 pm

I will definitelly have to try this… I just have to make new pumpkin puree first! =D

• Anonymous says
    November 4, 2012 @ 7:04 am

Sounds like you have gluten intolerance. Google headaches, fattige, and gluten intolerance to read. Best test is stool test. Blood test not reliable. You have to be off gluten for 6 months to a year before it leaves your body.

• Erin replies to Anonymous
      November 4, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

I'll bring that up to my doctor. I've mentioned food allergies before and she just brushed it off. I really hope it's not a gluten intolerance! Thanks for the tip. :)

• Diana {Coco and Chic} says
    November 4, 2012 @ 5:57 am

I love tea with milk, and right now I'm loving pumpkin latte, I'd love to try this recipe, thanks for sharing it….I hope you get better soon!! :)

• Jeannie says
    November 4, 2012 @ 12:10 am

This recipe looks great! I like tea, and I like tea lattes, but I have the hardest time figuring out how to make tasty ones at home. Brewing it in the milk seems like it might do the trick!

Regarding your sleepiness, I might recommend Vitamin D3. Your doctor might have checked your levels for this, so perhaps my advice is unnecessary. I was vitamin D deficient until this past spring when my doctor thought to test my levels because I always felt energy deprived and slightly depressed. I have been taking 3000 IU with the hopes of bringing my levels into normal range (each 1000 IU brings your level up 10 points, in theory). When I take my Vitamin D3, I have much more energy, motivation, and a bit more cheer in my life. When I don't take it for a few days, well, I get a bit tired and mopey.

• Erin replies to Jeannie
      November 4, 2012 @ 2:06 pm

I hope you can give it a try! :)

I'm actually a little Vitamin D deficient, but the doctor said that my levels were only very slightly off. I've been reading up on it and I think I'll try it out anyway. I'm happy that you were able to find something that worked for you! It must be a huge relief. Thank you for the tip!

• Becca says
    November 3, 2012 @ 10:52 pm

I'm not a tea fan but this sounds really nice.

I'm sorry you're stilling having headaches. And as for the sleepiness j sometimes feel really sleepy after school. And when I feel sleepy and know I shouldn't sleep I move around. Take a small walk around the neighborhood. And if that doesn't work, bake. That also works really well for me. Just getting the ingredients and measuring them out kind of kicks my brain into gear.

• Erin replies to Becca
      November 4, 2012 @ 2:03 pm

But Becca, neither am I! I still can't stand the stuff unless it's made with milk and there's lots of spice to kill the tea taste. I like your tips. I think maybe that's my problem. When I'm tired, I take a ridiculously long nap and then wake up even more tired. I definitely don't move around. What I've started doing is getting up and dancing (really only flailing about) to some wake-up music. And baking is good too! I always feel more awake after baking, but as soon as it's out of the oven and pictures are taken, I crash. Then I'm useless for the rest of the day.

• Ali | Gimme Some Oven says
    November 3, 2012 @ 9:10 pm

Oh my goodness. Would LOVE one of these right now. Looks SO warm and comforting!

• london bakes says
    November 3, 2012 @ 6:14 pm

I'm sorry about the fatigue thing, I presume you've been to see your doctor? I get it as a side effect of some medication I'm on and the brain fog that it results in is the worst. I hope you find something that helps soon xo

• Erin replies to london bakes
      November 3, 2012 @ 7:11 pm

Yup! I'm at the doctor just about every week for the headaches. She's done all kinds of tests on me but everything appears to be normal. I hope you can stop that medication at some point. It's an especially terrible time of the year for brain fog / fatigue.

• Loretta E. says
    November 3, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

Incredible! My hubby will love this!

• blueskydaze says
    November 3, 2012 @ 4:08 pm

Wow this looks so delicious and autumn-y :-)love it!

November 3, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

This sounds unreal! What an awesome recipe!

• Gwen Charles says
    November 3, 2012 @ 3:57 am

what a coincidence that you posted this recipe on one of the days of the dead since it is very similar to a Mexican drink called Pumpkin Atole- Atole is made by boiling corn flour in milk with sugar and warming spices. Pumpkin or chocolate can be added. Its a delicious warm breakfast.

• Erin replies to Gwen Charles
      November 3, 2012 @ 12:02 pm

I just googled pumpkin atole and it sounds amazing! And interesting. So very thick! Thanks for sharing this with me. I would have never learned about it otherwise. :)

• Heather says
    November 3, 2012 @ 2:14 am

Oh my goodness, I just made this and its delicious! So warm and comforting. Do you exercise Erin? Has your energy level only dipped since fall began? Just wondering if you perhaps suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. Hopefully your energy will return soon. Thank you for this yummy recipe!

• Erin replies to Heather
      November 3, 2012 @ 11:57 am

You win the award for fasting making of a recipe I've posted. :) I'm so happy that you liked it! Thanks for letting me know. I used to exercise quite a bit but can't anymore (that's another story! Although I could go swimming if I had the time) but my energy level hasn't changed. It's been super extreme in the last few weeks (definitely because of the darkness), but I'm like this year-round. Will check it out anyway. Thanks for the tip and for the feedback! :)

• Ashley@BakerbyNature says
    November 3, 2012 @ 1:31 am

Pumpkin chai sounds like an amazing combination – yum!

November 2, 2012 @ 11:37 pm

This sounds wonderful! Have you looked into taking vitamin b6 for energy? i've never taken it (no need) but have friends who have, + with great success. =)

• Erin replies to amy @ fearless homemaker
      November 3, 2012 @ 11:47 am

Thanks! I've read a little about iron and B6 but haven't gotten them because supposedly my levels are okay. Those values are from the beginning of the year but I've been like this (exhausted no matter what I do) for about two years. I'll ask the doctor next week if I can get them anyway. :)

• Jill says
    November 2, 2012 @ 8:40 pm

Maybe try taking iron? I take it, and it really seems to help…

This looks fabulous!

• Erin replies to Jill
      November 2, 2012 @ 9:58 pm

I'll look into it! Thanks for the tip. :)

• Mallory says
    November 2, 2012 @ 8:07 pm

This sounds delicious! I must say, though, it sounds like there's something deeper going on than a need for caffeine. It probably wouldn't hurt to get checked out by your doctor. Unless there is a baby Texanerin wearing you out that I'm not aware of.:)

• Erin replies to Mallory
      November 2, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

Thanks! I'm always at the doctor (for headaches) and they've taken blood tests and supposedly nothing is wrong with me. Oh, and I'm 100% positively not pregnant. :)