Chocolate Popsicles – With a Secret Ingredient!

The creamiest and fudgiest chocolate popsicles ever! Avocados and bananas come together to create these healthy and delicious frozen treats.

I’ve never been a fan of popsicles. Especially not chocolate popsicles or fudgsicles or whatever they’re called. They’re too icy, not creamy, and taste artificial. So I thought of all the creamiest healthy stuff possible and crammed it together to make these chocolate popsicles. It’s like my no cook chocolate peanut butter banana pudding, but so much better. The pudding has its place and time, but now I can’t imagine just making pudding when I could have these popsicles!

So what’s in them? Bananas are just a given. If you want to make something chocolatey healthy, just add (more) bananas. Then there’s Greek yogurt. And… avocado. I promise that you can’t taste it! All you taste is super fudgy chocolate banana. I really doubt that a more creamy, non-ice cream popsicle exists. If there is, I want to know about it!

Chocolate Popsicles - With a Secret Ingredient! | texanerin.com

The only issue I had with these is that the mixture was so thick, even after using a spoon to make sure the entire mold surface was covered, there were still little holes here and there. If that bothers you, add some milk. But I really don’t think anyone will mind (unless you’re taking pictures :)).

If you prefer a vegan and dairy-free version, Heidi posted these chocolate avocado popsicles the other day. Whichever recipe you use, it’s a fun way to enjoy the amazing nutritional value of avocados!

I seem to be late to the popsicle party, but I got this BPA free popsicle mold while in the US. And I love it! You can expect to see lots more creamy popsicle recipes round here in the next few weeks. :)

Chocolate Popsicles - With a Secret Ingredient!

Chocolate Popsicles – With a Secret Ingredient!
  • Yield: 8 3-oz popsicles

• 200 grams avocado flesh (about 1½ avocados)
  • 7½ ounces (220 grams) plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
  • ¼ cup (32 grams) Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons (60 grams) coconut sugar or white sugar
  • 2 medium (220 grams) bananas
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla

1. Blend everything together in a food processor or a very good blender until thoroughly combined.
  2. Pour into 8 3-oz popsicle molds and prepare according to your popsicle mold's instructions. For me, I covered the molds with the plastic lid and then inserted the popsicle sticks.
  3. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
  4. To unmold, carefully run lukewarm water against the sides of the mold.
  5. Keep covered in the freezer until serving.

50 comments on “Chocolate Popsicles – With a Secret Ingredient!” — Add one!

• Teresa
    July 8, 2014 @ 5:58 pm

Thanks for this recipe. My 3 year old who will not touch an avocado begs for these. Don’t feel guilty letting him indulge.

• Erin replies to Teresa
      July 10, 2014 @ 5:53 pm

So happy that you’re able to get some avocados into your little guy with these! Thanks for the feedback. :)

• Wendy
    ♥♥♥♥
    August 14, 2013 @ 11:38 pm

They are delicious! I used “European” plain yogurt, full fat, instead of greek yogurt and added another tablespoon of coconut sugar. My almost 3 year old loved it (didn’t tell her about avocado). Thank you!

• Erin replies to Wendy
      August 15, 2013 @ 10:59 pm

So happy you and your daughter liked them! And full fat yogurt sounds good to me. That’s unfortunately all we have over here in Germany (at least in the Greek variety). 10%, even! Thanks a bunch for the feedback. :)

• Carla @ Carlas Confections says
    July 17, 2013 @ 5:59 pm

I LOVE how creamy and delicious these look Erin! Yum!! I might eat the whole batch! And I love hidden healthy ingredients like the avocado. Sign me up!

• Erin replies to Carla @ Carlas Confections
      July 20, 2013 @ 4:40 pm

Why thank you, Carla! I’d love for you to eat the whole batch. Clear up some freezer space for me. ;)

• Valerie says
    July 14, 2013 @ 6:15 pm

I was never a fan of chocolate popsicles either, but avocado is just too enticing! I’ll have two, please. (It’s super-humid today!) :D

• Erin replies to Valerie
      July 20, 2013 @ 4:51 pm

Yes, these are so unlike those other chocolate popsicles. Much, much better. I swear! :)

• Suzanne
    July 14, 2013 @ 3:12 am

Oh I bet these are really creamy and good Erin. Nice job incorporating some goodness of avocados in there. I’m needing a popsicle right about now :)

• Erin replies to Suzanne
      July 14, 2013 @ 1:00 pm

Thanks! And um, I have like 22 popsicles in my freezer right now. 5 different types. Come on over! ;)

• The Café Sucre Farinec says
    July 12, 2013 @ 3:42 am

These look just plain old amazing, wow, who would think they were healthy? You did a brilliant job!

• laurasmess says
    July 12, 2013 @ 2:16 am

Ah, when I read ‘secret ingredient’ I was hoping that it’d be avocado! I’m growing to love the chocolate and avocado combination. I was initially very skeptical but the creaminess works so, so well! These popsicles look gorgeous. I wish it was warm enough for them over here at the moment… we’re currently getting freezing cold days and rainy, icy nights. I’ll bookmark this for the first signs of summer! Thanks lovely Erin! xx

• Erin replies to laurasmess
      July 20, 2013 @ 4:57 pm

Thank you, Laura! And right?! The creaminess thing with avocados is just awesome. And I have to be honest… it must stink reading a bunch of American food blogs which post a lot of goodies with peaches, berries, and other yummy summer stuff. Sorry to contribute to that. :(

• Eat Good 4 Life says
    July 11, 2013 @ 5:22 pm

These remind me of the ones I made a while back. I love the combo of bananas and avocado. They look yummy and very creamy. I need to make some when I get back to the US :-) My kids will love them.

• Erin replies to Eat Good 4 Life
      July 11, 2013 @ 10:24 pm

Have you posted them? I can’t find them! And I hope you make them when you get back. So yummy!

• DessertForTwo
    July 11, 2013 @ 1:36 am

Wow! These sound awesome! Have you ever read the label for store-bought fudgsicles? It’s like a science experiment! I’ll take homemade (with air bubbles), please!!! :)

• Erin replies to DessertForTwo
      July 11, 2013 @ 10:25 pm

Aww, thanks, Christina! The thing with the store-bought ones is that they’re not even good. I had a few as a kid and remember them being like watered down chocolate on a stick. Eww.

• Laura (Tutti Dolci) says
    July 11, 2013 @ 1:30 am

These look so creamy and fudgy, you may have just convinced me to try the avocado ;).

• Erin replies to Laura (Tutti Dolci)
      July 11, 2013 @ 10:26 pm

YES! Laura, you have to try the chocolate avocado thing. And start with this recipe! You can’t taste the avocado. :)

• Heather @ Sugar Dish Me says
    July 11, 2013 @ 12:16 am

I make a chocolate avocado frosting that is sooo good so I know these are amazing!! And your photos are gorgeous– even with the little microscopic air pockets :)

• Erin replies to Heather @ Sugar Dish Me
      July 11, 2013 @ 10:27 pm

Ooh! Have you posted the recipe? I’ve tried one such recipe but it wasn’t that good. And thank you for the photo compliment. :) I really hated dealing with these!

• Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking says
    July 10, 2013 @ 7:41 pm

Oh wow! With the avocados and bananas, I bet these are sooo creamy and delicious. These are my kind of chocolate pops for sure! Love it, Erin.

• Erin replies to Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking
      July 11, 2013 @ 10:28 pm

Thanks, Georgia! And yup. I just loaded all the healthy creamy stuff together in one popsicle. It’s all downhill from here. ;)

• Megan S
    July 10, 2013 @ 6:47 pm

These chocolate popsicles are so much better than the others I’ve tried! I shared the batch I made and they were all gone in a flash. My family loves this recipe.

• Erin replies to Megan S
      July 11, 2013 @ 10:29 pm

You’ve already made them?! That’s awesome. Thanks so much for letting me know how they came out and for the rating! :)

• Jackie Hammond
    July 10, 2013 @ 5:36 pm

I think this looks and sounds super delicious and I love popsicles, I will just have to get me a mold when I can afford one. Thanks for sharing.

• Erin replies to Jackie Hammond
      July 11, 2013 @ 10:32 pm

I hope you can get one soon, Jackie! The one I got from Amazon was $13.70 but do they have them at Hobby Lobby at Michael’s? If they do, you can usually find 50% off coupons for Michael’s online and 30% for Hobby Lobby. And when you do get your mold, I hope you’ll enjoy these! :)

• Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) says
    July 10, 2013 @ 4:28 pm

Chocolate and avocado are secret lovers, that’s all there is to it. These pops look so fudgey and delicious!

• Aryd'ell
    July 10, 2013 @ 3:25 pm

Can they be made without the bananas? We have to drive 140 miles to get the non-GMO, non-Monsanto ones (and yes, even the organic, if they are the long yellow ones, are Monsanto, GMO bananas)…..Would also rather use anything other than Greek Yogurt- do not care for the non-fat milk process used. What’s a real foody to do???

• Erin replies to Aryd’ell
      July 10, 2013 @ 10:05 pm

They can be made without bananas. I linked to a banana free and dairy-free version (so no Greek yogurt :)) at the end of my post. I imagine it wouldn’t be nearly as creamy but still yummy.

• Erin | The Law Student's Wife says
    July 10, 2013 @ 5:52 am

I love a good popsicle party!!! Seriously, I need to get myself one of these molds. Looks d-lish and I don’t mind the holes one bit :-)

• Tracey says
    July 9, 2013 @ 11:57 pm

Homemade popsicles really are the best! I haven’t tried the avocado in chocolate trick yet, but I’m so intrigued. These look super creamy!

• Erin replies to Tracey
      July 11, 2013 @ 10:33 pm

You have to join the chocolate avocado party! :)

July 9, 2013 @ 10:26 pm

These sound totally delicious! I don’t mind a thick popsicle batter. Mmmm.

July 9, 2013 @ 8:55 pm

Oooooh, the Greek yogurt and bananas in yours sound perfect!! And of course I can honestly tell you the avocado is amazing in popsicles :D Yum! I just got a similar popscle mold too… I like the one I usually use but sometimes I don’t want the yellow handles and I think they look weird when I use wooden sticks in place of the regular handles. Plus the individual popsicles are a little smaller with this one which I like. I can’t wait to try it out, I might have to remake some popsicles I made recently :)

• Erin replies to Heidi @ Food Doodles
      July 11, 2013 @ 10:37 pm

I like yours too but can see how the bright yellow wouldn’t always fit with everything. But with the avocado popsicles it was beautiful! :) And yes. Make more popsicles! May I suggest these? ;)

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat says
    July 9, 2013 @ 8:12 pm

Mmmm…I love this idea! Chocolate and avocado is a great combo!

• Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts says
    July 9, 2013 @ 7:03 pm

Love a super creamy and chocolatey frozen treats. As a general rule they are all to icy (even ice creams). These look perfect!

• Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen says
    July 9, 2013 @ 6:53 pm

I looooove homemade popsicles. And they just happen to be my toddler’s favorite food group ;)

• Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies says
    July 9, 2013 @ 6:29 pm

These sound pretty tasty! I’ve made fudge pops with coconut milk, but using banana would definitely help keep the calories in check.

• Kathryn says
    July 9, 2013 @ 5:59 pm

I’m so intrigued to try these popsicles, they look like they would be a great way to cool down!

• Erin replies to Kathryn
      July 11, 2013 @ 10:42 pm

I can tell you that they’re also a great breakfast. ;)