Blueberry Peach Crumble (100% whole grain + gluten-free)

An easily adaptable blueberry peach crumble recipe that’s coincidentally gluten-free and whole grain! Can be made with any fruit that you like.

Blueberry Peach Crumble – just uses oats and ground up oats, meaning it's coincidentally gluten-free and 100% whole grain!

I always knew that cobblers were different from crisps and crumbles, but I never knew there was really a difference in crisps and crumbles until now.

So what’s the difference between a crisp, crumble, and cobbler?

Crumbles:
Crumbles are baked fruit topped with a streusel topping that consists of oats, sugar, fat, and spices.
Crisps:
Crisps are like crumbles but don’t have oats in the topping, which makes the topping more crumbly, like a crumbled up pie crust.
Cobblers:
In cobblers the topping is basically biscuit dough. Generally the biscuits are dropped individually instead of having a blanket of dough.
Blueberry Peach Crumble – just uses oats and ground up oats, meaning it's coincidentally gluten-free and 100% whole grain. But nobody will be able to tell!

Now that we’ve cleared that up, meet my new favorite way to use up summer fruit. After coming back from the US 11 pounds heavier, I haven’t really been into making large serving desserts. So I only made a fourth of the original recipe and ended up with two 5″ crumbles. I guess you could share each crumble but it’s much more fun to eat the whole thing yourself and then feel content.

The topping only uses oats and no flour, which happens to make this blueberry peach crumble gluten-free if you use gluten-free oats! And because oats are whole grains, it’s also 100% whole grain. So you can feel good about eating it! Yay. And don’t let the “oat flour” throw you off. Oat flour is just ground up oats! Grind oats (I prefer quick oats) in a coffee grinder or food processor until flour like.

I wish I could take credit for this gluten-free blueberry peach crumble recipe but I adapted it from the King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking book. Every recipe I’ve made from there so far has been amazing! Definitely go check it out if you’re into whole grain baking.

Blueberry Peach Crumble –  uses oats and ground up oats, meaning it's coincidentally gluten-free and 100% whole grain!

I served mine with some homemade vanilla sauce but since I’m not completely happy with that recipe, I’ll just recommend ice cream. Crumbles are nice on their own but just a little bit of vanilla ice cream makes a world of difference!

I used these cute little $3 tart pans from Pier 1 Imports. If you want more than just two servings, double the recipe for an 8″x8″ or quadruple it for a 9″x13″ and bake for the same amount of time.

And you can of course use any fruit that you have on hand. The original recipe used apples and raspberries but I just had too many peaches and blueberries on hand to even think about using anything else.

Something I loved about this crumble was that it actually tasted just as good on the second day as the first. And then I refrigerated it and it also tasted amazing cold. You just can’t go wrong with this recipe. ;)

Blueberry Peach Crumble (100% whole grain + gluten-free)

Blueberry Peach Crumble (100% whole grain + gluten-free)
  • Yield: two 5" crumbles

Topping:

• ¼ cup (23 grams) oat flour1 (non-contaminated for gluten-free)
  • 3 tablespoons unrefined or brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons (28 grams) butter
  • ¼ cup (25 grams) traditional rolled or quick oats (non-contaminated for gluten-free)
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • For the filling:

• 2 tablespoons unrefined or granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon oat flour (non-contaminated for gluten-free)
  • ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1¾ cup peaches (395 grams or about 3 small-medium peaches), peeled and cut into eighths
  • ½ cup (75 grams) blueberries

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and spray two 5" tartlet pans with cooking spray. Get out a cookie sheet.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together the oat flour and sugar. Cut the butter into this mixture using a pastry blender, fork, or your fingers. Don't work it in so much that it becomes paste-like!
  3. Add in the oats, cinnamon and salt and stir until combined. Set this aside.
  4. To make the filling, mix together the sugar, oat flour, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
  5. Add the peaches and blueberries and stir just until combined.
  6. Divide the fruit among the two tartlet pans and top with the topping.
  7. Place the crumbles on top of the cookie sheet (to prevent potential spillage from dirtying your oven) and bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until the topping is golden brown, crisp and the filling is bubbling.
  8. Remove from the oven and wait 10 minutes before serving.
  9. If not eating on the first day, cover and store at room temperature for 1 day. You can also refrigerate it for up to 4 days.

Notes

1. To make oat flour, grind 6 tablespoons of oats in a food processor or coffee grinder until flour like. With quick oats, this takes me a few seconds in a coffee grinder. It'll take longer with regular rolled / traditional oats and longer in a food processor. This should give you enough for the topping and filling.

Adapted from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking

66 comments on “Blueberry Peach Crumble (100% whole grain + gluten-free)” — Add one!

• cass says
    February 21, 2014 @ 10:34 pm

Thanks for the terrific recipe, Erin!! And the education on crisps, crumbles and cobblers (Shakespeare would love that alliteration:) A drop of almond extract really enhances the flavor of peaches. I also added toasted chopped pecans and the tiniest shake of cloves and allspice.

• Erin replies to cass
      February 23, 2014 @ 10:18 am

Sorry for the slow reply, Cass! I’m so happy that you liked the crumble. :) Those are some super yummy sounding changes you made! I’ll have to try them next time. And yes to almond extract and peaches! I actually want to try Amaretto next time. :) Thanks a bunch for the feedback!

• Amanda
    November 8, 2013 @ 12:43 am

I’ve made this so many times since I found it…a week ago. Lol. I’ve actually run out of peaches and blueberries so I’ve been making it with my bajillion apples. And then I adapted it to a single serving to prevent myself from eating a whole batch. :) LOVING your blog!!! I can’t wait to plow my way through more recipes!!!!!

• Erin replies to Amanda
      November 8, 2013 @ 10:35 am

Lol. You’re awesome! I love that you took it even further and made it only a single serving. Go you! I’m so happy you found my blog. I hope you’ll enjoy the other recipes! Thanks so much for the feedback and the rating. :)

• Mary-Alice DeBoer says
    September 22, 2013 @ 7:18 am

I made this tonight for a happy crowd after the make your own pizza dinner. This is the 3rd time I’ve made it, it’s just that good. In fact, I put up some peaches in the freezer today to make several batches for a wedding dessert in November. The bride asked for crisps and crumbles instead of cake! I threw in blackberries because I had them on hand. DELICIOUS!

• Erin replies to Mary-Alice DeBoer
      September 25, 2013 @ 10:26 pm

I’m so happy that you liked it! Blackberries sounds like a great addition. And you’re making this as a wedding dessert?! I’m honored. :) Thanks for your feedback!

• Laurie says
    September 13, 2013 @ 8:14 pm

Hi Erin,
    this recipe looks amazing and I cannot wait to try it. I just have one question, do you have the Nutritional Facts, I do not see it posted with the recipe but I plan to try this tonight for my anniversary! thank you for healthy alternatives!
    Laurie

• Erin replies to Laurie
      September 13, 2013 @ 9:27 pm

Hi Laurie! Happy anniversary. :) I don’t have the nutritional facts but you could use CalorieCount to get that. Just sign up for an account (it’s free!) and then copy and paste the recipe into that link and it’ll tell you everything you want to know. :) I hope you’ll enjoy the crumbles!

• heidi says
    August 31, 2013 @ 12:40 am

sounds perfect! can’t wait to try this. Do you think I could replace the oat flour with brown rice flour?

• Erin replies to heidi
      September 1, 2013 @ 1:34 pm

I haven’t tried it but I think it would work! There’s not that much flour involved so I think it’d come out okay. Let us know how it turns out! :)

• Sherrie | With Food + Love says
    August 30, 2013 @ 5:32 pm

Hi Erin,

This looks delicious!

I’m confused though, it says it’s grain-free, but you oats as an ingredients…am I missing something?

- Sherrie

• Caroline @ chocolate & carrots says
    August 14, 2013 @ 12:28 pm

Thank you for educating me on my summer dessert casseroles! :D This looks so yummy!

• Suzanne
    August 14, 2013 @ 5:29 am

Your totally speaking my language here, I love fruit crisps, crumbles and cobblers! I like that this uses all oats because makes me feel better :)

• Erin replies to Suzanne
      August 15, 2013 @ 10:53 pm

Same here. :) Oats are dandy. I don’t know why others hate on them!

• Chris says
    August 12, 2013 @ 3:40 pm

Please let me know if you think this would work with steel cut oats….

• Erin replies to Chris
      August 12, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

The problem with that is that they’d need more liquid and to cook longer to soften. At least from what I’ve read just now. Most people advise against baking with steel cut. Sorry I couldn’t help more!

• jennie
    August 12, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

I made this last night for my family and it was wonderful! Super easy to make and delicious. I doubled the recipe and used an Emile Henry pie dish and topped it with homemade vanilla ice-cream. Thanks so much for the recipe…this one is a keeper!

• Erin replies to jennie
      August 12, 2013 @ 9:03 pm

That sounds amazing! :) I’m happy that you and your family liked it. I just looked up Emile Henry pie dishes and they’re gorgeous. Thanks for the tip and thanks so much for the rating and the review!

• Rachel
    August 12, 2013 @ 2:54 am

This crumble — which I formerly would have called a crisp! — is cooling as I write. I may have snuck a spoonful the very second I pulled it out of the oven, too impatient to wait. Oh my stars. Delicious! Thank you for another healthier alternative for dessert.

• Erin replies to Rachel
      August 12, 2013 @ 10:37 am

I would have called this a crisp, too. :) And I do the same. Baked goods are meant to be tested directly out of the oven! ;) I’m so happy that you liked it. Thanks for the feedback!

• PAULA
    August 12, 2013 @ 12:07 am

I found you when I googled gluten free peach crumble….just made it …amazing. It’s the first time I have ventured into gluten free land…just found out my daughter is gluten intolerant…This is a definite win and I did not miss the flour at all … I only had peaches and doubled it and put in an 8×8. Exactly what I had wanted. Thanks so much. I have posted the results on fb and have already directed people to your site.

• Erin replies to PAULA
      August 12, 2013 @ 10:40 am

I’m so happy that you enjoyed the crumble! And I think this is a great recipe for those just starting off in the GF world. It tastes just like a flour-filled version, doesn’t it? :) Thank you so much for sharing on Facebook and for the rating and feedback on the post! It’s much appreciated. :)

• Jocelyn @BruCrew Life says
    August 11, 2013 @ 2:01 pm

I love a good fruit crumble! Peach and blueberry is such an awesome combo! I am a big fan of crumbles because I like the oats in my topping!!!

• Alanna says
    August 10, 2013 @ 8:12 pm

These crumbles look absolutely perfect – yum! Loving the abundance of whole grain recipes on your site!

• Erin replies to Alanna
      August 11, 2013 @ 12:04 pm

Thanks, Alanna! Happy you like the whole grain recipes. Still drooling over your peach dish. :)

• Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} says
    August 9, 2013 @ 5:36 am

When you say crumble – I say DELISH! I can’t wait to make this.

• Valerie says
    August 9, 2013 @ 1:53 am

Oh…I always wondered if there was a difference between the three – I usually just grab whatever title is floating around my brain at the time. Thanks for clarifying! : )

I’ll take two crumbles, please. (The entire batch!) :D

• Erin replies to Valerie
      August 10, 2013 @ 2:45 pm

Haha. Same here! And I wish I had two crumbles right now. My tummy would be very happy, too. :)

• Carolyn says
    August 6, 2013 @ 12:38 pm

I love fruit crisps and crumbles (what’s the difference, anyway?). This looks perfect for summer.

• Erin replies to Carolyn
      August 10, 2013 @ 2:55 pm

Hehe. I think *someone* didn’t read the post. ;) (totally kidding! We all do it.)

• Tracey says
    August 5, 2013 @ 12:48 am

Blueberries and peaches are my absolute favorite combo for crumbles and crisps! Not only delicious, but such pretty colors too! Love that this one is whole grain, that means I can eat more of it, right? :)

• Erin replies to Tracey
      August 5, 2013 @ 2:15 pm

Of course you can! ;) And agreed. I need more peach / blueberry goodies in my life! I think this was one of the first times I tried it.

• The Café Sucré Farine says
    August 4, 2013 @ 10:42 pm

Whenever I eat out, this is always the kind of dessert I choose when I have a choice! Something fruity, with a crumble served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream = heaven!

• Erin replies to The Café Sucré Farine
      August 5, 2013 @ 2:18 pm

I wish they served crumbles here! It’s always the same stuff here. Stuff that I’m not really a fan of but I guess you know about that already. ;)

• Pandora
    August 4, 2013 @ 11:22 am

We just made these! Only With black currant and cranberries (straight from the garden) instead of blueberries and peaches. A we replaced sugar with soms maple syrup.

It was delicious! Definitely going to keep this recipe :)

• Erin replies to Pandora
      August 4, 2013 @ 6:30 pm

Ooh, interesting changes! I’m so happy that you liked it. I think I’ll have to try them with maple syrup, too. Thanks a bunch for the feedback and rating! :)

• Anna @ hiddenponies says
    August 4, 2013 @ 6:00 am

Thanks for clearing that up! Crisps and crumbles are my favourites – this looks wonderful!

• Erin replies to Anna @ hiddenponies
      August 5, 2013 @ 2:21 pm

No problem! :) And hooray that there’s another crumble fan around. I think they’re kind of boring but they’re SO tasty! :)

• Patty says
    August 3, 2013 @ 11:15 pm

Lovely Summertime dessert with a healthy twist ;) I’m passing on your recipe to a gluten-free friend ;)

• Erin replies to Patty
      August 5, 2013 @ 2:22 pm

Aww, thanks for doing that! It’s good for non-GF people, too. It’s just got oats in it! :)

• Raquel @ The Sugar Haus says
    August 3, 2013 @ 5:32 pm

Love this! Loving all of your healthy twists!

• Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking says
    August 2, 2013 @ 10:27 pm

I love peaches and blueberries together, and I LOVE a good crumble this time of year. Flawless recipe, Erin!

August 1, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

Aha! I always mix up crisps and crumbles – thanks for the help! Also, and most importantly, this sounds so lovely!

• Marta @ What Should I eat for breakfast today says
    August 1, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

I did not know the difference, thank s :) We should bake somwething together again some time soon, or we should make this planned dinner, where our Mrs cook :D hugs!

• Laurel says
    August 1, 2013 @ 7:25 pm

We love leftover crumble mixed with unsweetened strained plain whole milk yogurt. That definitely counts as breakfast at our house!

• Erin replies to Laurel
      August 5, 2013 @ 2:39 pm

Mmm! That sounds like the most perfect breakfast ever. :)

• Laura (Tutti Dolci) says
    August 1, 2013 @ 5:52 pm

I love crumbles and I love blueberries with peaches. Does one of these count as breakfast? ;)

• Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies says
    August 1, 2013 @ 5:50 pm

I think I’ve been calling crumbles, crisps, and cobblers the wrong things all my life :) Oh well, still delicious!

• Eat Good 4 Life says
    August 1, 2013 @ 4:41 pm

I love crumbles for the same reason, they are so versatile. Welcome to ziplist, I am sure you are going to love it :-)

• Lori Bosarge says
    August 1, 2013 @ 4:13 pm

Blueberries and GF!!! What could be better?!!

• Erin replies to Lori Bosarge
      August 5, 2013 @ 2:40 pm

Blueberries and peaches and GF! Just kidding. ;)