Chocolate Zucchini Brownies (100% whole grain, dairy-free)

The most gooey chocolate zucchini brownies ever! You’d never guess these are healthy and made with whole grains, zucchini and that applesauce takes the place of oil!

Chocolate Zucchini Brownies - 100% whole grain, dairy-free, and have no added fat other than what is in the chocolate chips! So gooey and chocolatey, nobody will have a clue that these are almost fat free! | texanerin.com

Some other bloggers and I are posting healthier dishes today and taking a minute to help spread awareness on childhood obesity. Now brownies don’t exactly help with the issue but if you’re going to have dessert, why not make it healthier if you really can’t taste a difference? :)

These chocolate zucchini brownies have no added fat (except what’s in the chocolate chips) and are full of zucchini and whole grains (but really do not taste like it!) so you can feel good about giving these to your children.

Really, unless your kids watch you make these, there’s no way that they’ll be able to tell that these chocolate brownies have zucchini in them. Or that they’re whole wheat or whole spelt. The original recipe from The Baltic Maid used a little more sugar but I found these plenty sweet. And if you have portion control issues, these halve beautifully! Use a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan and bake for only 14 minutes. I highly recommend not decreasing the amount of chocolate chips in the batter. You can definitely skip the ones on top but these zucchini brownies rely on the sweetness and flavor from the chocolate chips!

100% Whole Grain + Dairy-free Chocolate Zucchini Brownies - nobody will have a clue that these are almost fat free! | texanerin.com

I’m not one to be afraid of a little coconut oil, olive oil or any of the “healthier” fats, but these do add calories to the final product. Calories which help contribute to weight gain. The obesity rate in elementary school children (ages 6-11) has quadrupled over the past four decades and a third of children and adolescents are overweight or obese. And these kids are more likely to be obese as adults.

That’s why it’s important to instill healthy eating habits in our kids from the very beginning. Why set them up for failure?

The other bloggers and I are so excited to be working with Partnership for a Healthier America, which is a nonprofit organization whose goal is to end childhood obesity, to help bring awareness to this issue. So what healthy change are you going to make this school year? I don’t have kids yet but I’m going to do my best to keep bringing you healthier recipes! Less sugar, no processed junk, and whole grain or gluten / grain-free.

Be sure to check out the other back to school dishes!

Zucchini Chocolate Brownies (100% whole grain, dairy-free)

Chocolate Zucchini Brownies (100% whole grain, dairy-free)
  • Yield: 16 brownies

• 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • ¾ cup coconut sugar or unrefined or granulated sugar
  • ¼ cup (60 ml) unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 cup (125 grams) whole spelt or whole wheat flour
  • ½ cup (45 grams) Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 1½ teaspoons baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups (about 300 – 320 grams) peeled and grated zucchini
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips + ½ cup mini chocolate chips to sprinkle on top (for dairy-free, use Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (176 degrees C) and line an 8"x8" pan with parchment paper or spray with baking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, vanilla, coconut sugar, and apple sauce and let this sit for 5 minutes to let the coconut sugar dissolve.
  3. In a separate medium bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder (sifted if lumpy!), baking soda and salt. Make sure there are no clumps before going on to the next step.
  4. Add the dry mix to the wet, gently stir until combined. Be sure not to over mix!
  5. Then fold in the zucchini and 1 cup chocolate chips.
  6. Pour the batter into the pan and even the surface with a spatula.
  7. Sprinkle ½ cup mini chocolate chips on top.
  8. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes (14 minutes for the half batch) or until a toothpick inserted in the middle doesn't come out gooey. It might still be sticky - just not have raw batter on it.
  9. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature or up to one week in the refrigerator. I recommend storing them in the refrigerator right from the beginning due to their high moisture content.

Adapted from Healthy Zucchini Brownies – The Baltic Maid

I did not receive compensation for this post and all opinions expressed are my own. This giveaway has been sponsored by Partnership for a Healthier America and All-Clad (thank you so much!) For further information, please read my disclosure statement.

249 comments on “Chocolate Zucchini Brownies (100% whole grain, dairy-free)” — Add one!

• Claudia says
    November 7, 2014 @ 6:14 am

Can i substitute more apple sauce for the zuchinni? i Dont have anything against veggies, but i was SHOCKED to find out zuchinni is GMO!!

• Erin replies to Claudia
      November 7, 2014 @ 8:47 pm

I don’t think so because the texture and moisture content is totally different. Sorry about that!

• corinna says
    October 1, 2014 @ 2:54 pm

I just made them – unfortunately the grated zucchini did not seem to have absorbed the colour of the chocolate and did not dissolve – so it looks like little worms. I tried some and they are great tasting but knowing my kids they will not touch them. Not sure if I do them again unless I find a better way of grating them. I grated them fine.
    I also gluten intolerant so adjusted the recipe. I only had milka hot chocolate which already has chocolate as well as the apple sauce was sweetened so I did not put any additional sugar in it which was fine and used Doves Gluten free flour for it.

• Erin replies to corinna
      October 1, 2014 @ 5:40 pm

I’m happy you thought they tasted good! Using hot chocolate instead of unsweetened cocoa powder and leaving out the sugar completely (even though the hot chocolate mix and applesauce was sweetened) is most likely to blame. 3/4 cup is a lot of sugar and the hot chocolate and applesauce don’t have anywhere near that. The gluten-free mix might have contributed to the weird texture, too. If you want a GF version, I recommend these flourless chocolate chip zucchini oat brownies. I hope that helps! :)

• Flora
    September 20, 2014 @ 12:13 am

LOVE these – super tasty & intensely chocolatey – all the family enjoyed them. Just wondering, do you have any tips on how to reduce their sugar content/what I could swap in for the granulated sugar (I don’t have any coconut sugar)? Thanks :)

• Erin replies to Flora
      September 21, 2014 @ 12:17 pm

So happy that you liked them! You can reduce the sugar but the more you reduce, the cakier and less gooey they become. I’d say raw sugar or coconut sugar are really the only good subs here. If you used a liquid sweetener, then the liquid content would be off. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• Abhishek says
    September 17, 2014 @ 1:24 pm

Hi Erin,

These look delicious!!! We do not get applesauce where I am (India). Can I use regular unsalted butter instead of the applesauce?

• Erin replies to Abhishek
      September 17, 2014 @ 1:50 pm

If you used butter, I think these would come out really greasy. They’re already super gooey and I’m afraid that they would never really set. If you enjoy applesauce, it’s easy to make! Or you could try these whole wheat zucchini brownies, which are applesauce free. :)

• Abhishek replies to Erin
        September 22, 2014 @ 6:13 am

Hi Erin,

Thanks!! I found a simple applesauce recipe online and finally made these brownies for me and some office folks. They turned out very moist but not as gooey as expected (like a soft cake). I could not believe that there was zucchini in these. Will make them again this week. Thanks a lot for this recipe. I already know this will be one of my regular ones :)

Abhishek

• Erin replies to Abhishek
          September 23, 2014 @ 10:40 pm

I’m happy they came out well! I’m wondering if your homemade applesauce was maybe a little more watery than store bought apple sauce. That could have caused the cakey-ness! Thanks for letting me know how they came out. :)

• Kay
    September 16, 2014 @ 9:08 am

Hi Erin! Just wanted to thank you for this recipe! I made it last night and it was deeeeeeeeeelicious :-) So moist – like one of those chocolate dessert cakes, you know? I do have one question: do you grate your zucchini finely or coarsely? I only ask because we could still ‘feel’ the bits of (coarsely) grated zucchini. Didn’t stop us eating a quarter of the brownies in one go though!

I’m also in Germany (British but live here with German boyfriend). So…. greetings from Berlin!
    Kay

• Erin replies to Kay
      September 17, 2014 @ 1:55 pm

Hi Kay! I’m so happy that they came out well for you. :) I used a medium ribbon grater from Microplane. It’s been a while since I’ve made them but I don’t think I could detect the zucchini at all (and as someone who hates zucchini, I’m betting I’d remember. ;)) And hi back from Berlin! Thanks so much for the feedback and stopping by to say hi. :)

• Millie | Add A Little says
    September 13, 2014 @ 9:11 pm

Oh my god these look absolutely amazing!!

• Tina
    August 14, 2014 @ 12:25 pm

Thanks for the recipe! Loved the gooey factor of this chocolate brownie, as did my bf who has left a few for me… He was getting concerned with counter space after I brought home a glut of zuccs. I used whole meal flour and Belgian dark chocolate chips, 70% cocoa solids and they were delish. I’ve looked at your inspiration for this recipe and would like to add this recipe as a link to my relatively new blog in my second recipe post if that is OK?!

• Erin replies to Tina
      August 18, 2014 @ 6:40 pm

So, so sorry for my slow reply, Tina! Please feel free to link to this recipe or the recipe on The Baltic Maid, where I adapted it from. :) And you never need to add to link to someone, just ask if you want to use their recipe (rewritten in your own words) or want to use a picture. I’m just letting you know since you said your blog was new. Hopefully it’ll save you a little time! :) I’m thrilled that you enjoyed the brownies and thanks for the feedback! Sorry again for my slow reply.

• Judy Godwin says
    August 6, 2014 @ 10:09 pm

Do you know approx.hiw many calories these would be? On a calorie voucher ting diet here!

• Erin replies to Judy Godwin
      August 6, 2014 @ 10:25 pm

I intentionally don’t include the nutritional info (I focus on making healthier choices rather than low calorie / fat / etc.) but you can copy and paste the recipe here for that info, if you like. I hope you’ll enjoy them! :)

• Maureen says
    August 6, 2014 @ 9:34 pm

I want to make these delicious brownies but I wondering what you think would be a good substitute for the eggs ( my 4 year old has a sever egg allergy).
    Maureen

• Erin replies to Maureen
      August 6, 2014 @ 10:26 pm

I unfortunately have no experience with egg substitutes but I found this helpful chart. I hope that helps! :)

• Karen replies to Maureen
      August 13, 2014 @ 7:44 pm

You can substitute ground flaxseed for egg.

• Sabrina @ Living, Learning, Eating
      replies to Maureen
      August 14, 2014 @ 7:00 am

I just made this with chia ‘egg’ as a vegan version and they turned out great! Just mix 2 Tbsp chia seeds with 6 Tbsp. water and let sit for 5 minutes, then use just as you would the two eggs :)

• Mo
    August 5, 2014 @ 4:15 am

I just made these b/c I have so much zucchini from my garden. They were absolutely amazing. I cannot believe there is no added fat besides the choc chips. The 2cups of zucchini make them so moist!

• Erin replies to Mo
      August 11, 2014 @ 1:34 pm

I’m happy to hear that they came out well! And I agree… it’s hard to believe the only added fat is from the chocolate chips. Thanks so much for the feedback. :)

• Stacy Myers
    August 4, 2014 @ 1:38 am

These were AH-mazing! I was a skeptic, I’ll admit. But man alive these blew me away. Everyone loved them and you can’t tell there is squash in there at all! I used one cup of zucchini and one cup of yellow squash – and spelt flour. Winner!!! Thanks! :-)

• Erin replies to Stacy Myers
      August 11, 2014 @ 1:33 pm

I’m so happy that they came out well! And good to know that yellow squash works here. Interesting! Thanks so much for the feedback. :)

• Andrea
    ♥♥♥♥
    July 30, 2014 @ 10:31 pm

Wow! These are incredible! My kids didnt see me sneak in the zucchini. They love them. I would make these again because of how moist they are! Thanks for your recipe! I complimented you on fb so I think more people will be using your recipe! :)

• Erin replies to Andrea
      July 30, 2014 @ 10:40 pm

I’m so happy that your kids liked them! And thanks for complimenting me on FB. I hope your friends will enjoy the brownies, too! Thanks for the feedback. :)

• Karen
    July 25, 2014 @ 2:16 am

Oh My!!! These brownies are awesome! My husband and all 3 kids loved them! I made the recipe exactly as written except I used white whole wheat flour. They tasted to me like the sinful molten lava cakes but none of the guilt. They fell apart a bit but I’m guessing that’s because we couldn’t wait even 5 minutes for them to cool from the oven! I will definitely be checking out more of your recipes.

• Erin replies to Karen
      July 29, 2014 @ 12:00 pm

Haha. Well, they shouldn’t have fallen apart but I’m happy you were able to live with it. ;) So happy that you and your family enjoyed them! And white whole wheat is always a good idea. Thanks so much for your feedback! :)

• Margie says
    July 20, 2014 @ 1:59 am

Hi Erin,
    Do I need to wring out the water in the zucchini? Love your recipes!
    Thanks.
    Margie

• Erin replies to Margie
      July 20, 2014 @ 9:30 am

Nope! No need to do that. Unless your zucchini is over the top watery. Then just get rid of enough water so that it has a “normal” amount of water (I hate saying that because there’s no exact way of measuring this). I hope you’ll enjoy the brownies! :)

• Margie replies to Erin
        July 21, 2014 @ 1:13 am

Wow Erin, these were so good! I used whole wheat pastry flour and they came out more like cake which was fine with my family, my kids loved it so much my 6 year old said he wants this “cake” for his birthday! I have to admit I probably used more chocolate chips than you called for because you can never have too much chocolate… Another winning recipe from you!!

• Erin replies to Margie
          July 24, 2014 @ 4:55 pm

But darn. These aren’t supposed to be cake-like! I’m really surprised that whole wheat pastry flour had that effect. I love that your son asked for these brownies as his birthday cake. :) Thanks so much for the feedback!

• Heather
    July 19, 2014 @ 5:14 am

Zucchini is exploding out of my garden and I really don’t want to make any more zucchini bread. I checked to see what you had on your site and decided to do these first :-). I added a cup of walnuts (for the hubby) and omitted the chocolate chips sprinkled on top. These were chocolatey and ooey gooey!!! I think next time I might make your chocolate ganache to frost the brownies. That would take it over the top! When mixing, I had to double check the amount of zucchini called for and then check my measuring cup to make sure I hadn’t added too much. It just really seemed lilke a lot of zucchini I was folding in. The thing I love is it used up 2 cups of zucchini!!! Now I have a reason to be excited when I see an enormous zucchini in my garden! You rock, Erin!!!!

• Erin replies to Heather
      July 20, 2014 @ 9:28 am

Yay! So happy that you liked the brownies! :) But after you’ve made these, my other zucchini recipes aren’t nearly as exciting (especially the chocolate zucchini cookies and lemon zucchini muffins – they’re good but nothing compared to this!) The chocolate zucchini cake is almost as good as these brownies but not as gooey and decadent. I’d be interested to know how it comes out for you, though! I know a few people who have had issues with the ganache (it comes out gel-like or it comes out totally runny) but I make it all the time and never had any problem. Really strange! Anyway, thanks for your feedback and good luck on growing a few more zucchini this year. :)

• amanda
    July 8, 2014 @ 6:36 pm

These are quickly becoming a weekly staple in our home! I add peanut butter chips on top instead of mini chocolate chips- because you can’t go wrong with peanut butter!

• Erin replies to amanda
      July 10, 2014 @ 7:24 pm

Ooh! You’re right. Peanut butter is always right. ;) I wouldn’t have thought of adding them here, though. Thanks for the idea and for the feedback!

• Jennifer Miller says
    June 26, 2014 @ 11:53 pm

Thank u so much for this delicious and healthy recipe that my whole family loves! The only change I made was G/F flour instead of regular flour, which made it come out much more fluffy (almost a cake instead brownie). But still a super moist, yummy and HEALTHY treat that I can feel good about offering to my picky eaters.

• Erin replies to Jennifer Miller
      July 1, 2014 @ 9:54 pm

Sorry for the slow reply! Was it a GF baking blend mix? I’m happy that it came out well, even if they were cakey. ;) Thanks so much for the feedback!

• Whitney B
    June 24, 2014 @ 1:20 am

These are Delish. I’ve deemed them pin worthy to my board which contains Pinterest recipes that are worth it. Way to go and thank you. Now if I could just eat only one- but with nursing a baby I think it will be ok ;) xx

• Erin replies to Whitney B
      June 25, 2014 @ 9:14 am

Thanks a ton for pinning! I’m so happy that you enjoyed the brownies. Good luck on the self-control thing (I know I don’t have any…) and thanks for the feedback! ;)

• Just4Kix says
    June 18, 2014 @ 3:37 pm

Ahhh, using Whole WHEAT and SPELT does not make this a GLUTEN free recipe as the title Chocolate Zucchini Brownies (100% whole grain, dairy-free)suggests.
    We eat only “Paleo”, maybe Almond Flour or Coconut Flour would work?
    Thank you for the delicious looking recipe, I’m going to try to alter your wonderful recipe just a bit and see if those of us who have to be absolutely gluten free can enjoy it too

• Erin replies to Just4Kix
      June 18, 2014 @ 3:52 pm

I’m not sure how “100% whole grain” and “dairy-free” suggests gluten-free. A whole grain label has absolutely nothing to do with gluten (although there are gluten-free whole grains like teff and buckwheat). I never mention this being a gluten-free recipe in the post or title at all. About half of the recipes on my blog are 100% whole grain and contain gluten (normally using whole wheat or whole spelt) and the other half are grain-free (using almond and coconut flours). So perhaps that’s where the confusion came from? Or perhaps someone linked to it wrong? I’m kind of stumped! Anyway, I hope you’re able to make a nice grain-free version and if a gluten-free version is okay, try these flourless chocolate chip zucchini oat brownies with certified gluten-free oats. Hope that helps!

• Erin S.
    May 28, 2014 @ 6:31 am

I’m so happy I found this recipe on Pintrest. Since I’ve made them my friends have not stopped asking me for the recipe. So easy to make and this was the first time I’ve made brownies from scratch. LOVE them!!!

• Erin replies to Erin S.
      May 28, 2014 @ 9:41 pm

I’m so happy that you and your friends liked the brownies so much! Who would have thought something full of zucchini would be so good? ;) Thanks a ton for the feedback and the rating!

• Michelle
    April 25, 2014 @ 6:06 pm

I used avacodo instead of applesauce and they even more moist and fudgy!!!

• Erin replies to Michelle
      April 26, 2014 @ 6:14 pm

Ooh! That sounds amazing. I’m definitely going to try that. :) Thanks so much for the tip and the rating!

• Kristine
    April 24, 2014 @ 3:44 am

It is that lovely time of the month and I just had to have something chocolatey, so I made these delicious brownies. I made some substitutions because I didn’t have everything… Maple granulated sugar instead of coconut sugar, oat flour instead of whole wheat flour, and Hershey’s cocoa powder instead of Dutch-process cocoa powder. SO YUMMY! And I don’t feel like a fatty-boom laddy after eating one, I mean three pieces. LOL! Thanks for sharing :)

• Erin replies to Kristine
      April 25, 2014 @ 10:18 am

Haha. I’m so happy that the brownies could give you a little comfort! ;) Maple granulated sugar sounds amazing! I bet it’s pretty expensive but I’ll look into it, anyway. Thanks for mentioning it! And oat flour?! Thank you for mentioning that! I’ll try that out too and then I can add that as a gluten-free option because people are always asking. I think I like your version better than mine. :D Thanks for your lovely comment and the rating!

• Lily says
    April 9, 2014 @ 10:35 pm

I was really excited about this recipe! I substituted coconut oil for applesauce since we didn’t have any at home. Perhaps that really messed with the outcome, but I’m not so sure.

I just pulled these out of the oven, and I am, sadly, disappointed with these brownies.

First of all, if you add a cup of chocolate chips to any recipe (and add more on top), it will taste great. Why bother with the zucchini and whole wheat/ spelt flour at all? The amount of chocolate chips totally negates any real progress in nutrition.

I left out the chocolate chips and the resulting flavor was bland and “earthy” tasting, definitely not like a brownie. Almost like a piece of brown bread, actually.

I would rather just eat 1 cup of chocolate chips from the bag!

Lily

• Erin replies to Lily
      April 10, 2014 @ 8:20 am

I’m sorry you didn’t like them. I’ve just made it clear in the post that you need the chocolate chips. I do have to disagree with you on the pointlessness of using zucchini and whole grains here. Just because there are a lot of chocolate chips doesn’t mean I need to use all-purpose flour, refined sugar (although sugar is sugar) and butter instead of applesauce. That’s like saying why eat salad if you’re going to use salad dressing? At least in my opinion. :) I’m all about making healthier desserts and not healthy desserts. There will always be some kind of sweetener in my desserts (and therefore never be classified as “healthy”) but I won’t stop making other healthier changes just because of the negative contribution sweeteners (or in this case, chocolate chips) make to the nutritional profile.

• Lily
        replies to Erin
        April 12, 2014 @ 6:01 pm

Hey Erin,
        First of all, I am so sorry to have left a negative post! It might seem silly, but I really have been thinking about it and just wish I had tried the recipe as you suggested and THEN reviewed. So sorry about that.

Now, to the reason I’m posting again: I made them a second time exactly as you directed in the recipe and they were REALLY really good. Also, even though I ate like 10, I didn’t feel gross afterwards at all.

Thanks for a great recipe, and I apologize again for my first review and totally admit it was 100% error! This recipe will be my new go-to from now on :)

Lily

• Erin replies to Lily
          April 12, 2014 @ 7:47 pm

Hi Lily! Thanks a bunch for this comment. I really appreciate that you came back to re-review them after making them with the chocolate chips! I’m also happy that you enjoyed them. Yucky brownies are one of the saddest things ever, right? ;) And so awesome that they’ll be your go-to brownie from now on! Thanks again. :)

• Trudy says
    March 12, 2014 @ 12:53 am

Wondering if one could use Quinoa floor rather than the whole wheat or spelt for these zucchini brownies. If so what would the portion amount be

• Erin replies to Trudy
      March 12, 2014 @ 6:16 pm

I’m afraid not. :( Quinoa flour doesn’t have the gluten in it to hold these brownies together. If you need them to be gluten-free, you could try a gluten-free baking mix but I haven’t tried it so I can’t say for sure.

• mary says
    January 12, 2014 @ 12:58 am

I have a baking question. When you use baking soda as the leavener there is usually something acidic in the recipe, otherwise the leavening agent is usually baking powder. Is the zucchini acidic enough to need baking powder?

• Erin replies to mary
      January 12, 2014 @ 8:18 pm

Good question! I have to be honest and say that I’m not really sure, even after doing a little research. If you prefer to use baking powder, give it a try. These are incredibly dense brownies so I don’t think it’d end in disaster, even if baking powder was the wrong call.

• Danielle replies to mary
      February 16, 2014 @ 5:33 am

the cocoa is

• Keni says
    October 30, 2013 @ 12:21 am

Can I use baking stivia or Splenda for a diabetic treat?

• Erin replies to Keni
      October 30, 2013 @ 5:51 pm

I haven’t tried it myself. I’m thinking there might be a Stevia aftertaste but if you’re used to that, then I think it’d be okay. :)

• Lauren B. replies to Erin
        November 25, 2013 @ 1:02 pm

Hi, Erin! Stevia and Splenda by themselves do not sweeten chocolate sufficiently. The brownies would taste very bitter using one of those substitutes. Just piping up because I run a sugar-free blog and have worked with sweeteners quite a bit. ;) Have enjoyed browsing your recipes so much! I’m going to try my hand at a few of the grain free ones, and of course give you credit if I post ‘em.

Great job with those photos by the way. So drool-worthy!

• Whitney
          replies to Lauren B.
          January 22, 2014 @ 8:06 am

Could u use honey instead of sugar? And if so do you need to add more or something else to balance it back out?

• Erin replies to Whitney
          January 24, 2014 @ 8:36 pm

Sorry for the slow reply! I use a lot of honey in place of sugar and haven’t found an exact rule. If I were you, I’d try half and half and see what happens. I hope it worked out if you already tried it!

• Katy Lee says
    October 29, 2013 @ 11:33 am

Made these yesterday, and they turned out fantastically!! I’m on a diet before my wedding but needed something sweet and gooey as a treat and they were perfect! Thanks so much for this recipe!! Even better than regular brownies!

• Erin replies to Katy Lee
      October 29, 2013 @ 8:50 pm

Better than regular brownies – woohoo! Thanks for that. ;) So happy that you like the brownies! I hope you have a wonderful wedding and good luck with the diet. :) Thanks so much for the feedback!

• Tess
    October 19, 2013 @ 4:30 am

I made these the other night and they were FANTASTIC! I have been trying to find a healthy dessert that is delicious and that my fiancee would eat (happily). And he loved them too. I’m literally making them right now.

• Erin replies to Tess
      October 19, 2013 @ 8:56 pm

So happy that you and your fiancee like them! :) I have the same issue with my guy not liking healthy desserts (even though they don’t taste healthy!) Thanks so much for the feedback and the rating. :)

• Daniella says
    October 9, 2013 @ 6:50 pm

Coarsely or finely grated?
    Thanks!

• Erin replies to Daniella
      October 9, 2013 @ 6:58 pm

I used a medium grater! I’d go for coarse if you don’t have a medium one. Hope you’ll like them. :)

• Holly says
    September 25, 2013 @ 11:27 pm

Will these be okay without the 1 c of choc chips inside them?? They look SO GOOD but we are out of choc chips :(

• Erin replies to Holly
      September 26, 2013 @ 12:42 pm

I guess that they’d be okay but they won’t be nearly as good! There’s not that much sugar in them so you need the chocolate chips for sweetness and gooey-ness. ;) I hope you’ll like them!

• Kristin says
    September 23, 2013 @ 2:29 am

Is coconut sugar the same as coconut palm sugar?

• Erin replies to Kristin
      September 24, 2013 @ 5:55 pm

Yup! It’s the same. :)

• Jane says
    September 23, 2013 @ 2:03 am

Thank you so much for this recipe! I got married to a non-vegetable-lover, and I spend a LOT of time figuring out how to get veggies into him – whether he knows about it or not. He loves dessert, and I don’t care about it, so he should have been suspicious when I made him a pan of these the other night, but he had NO CLUE. And I’m impressed – two cups of zucchini is not easy to hide in anything. The zucchini really keeps them moist. I didn’t have any cocoa powder when I thought I did, so I improvised and added ‘sipping chocolate” powder I had in the pantry. THANK YOU!

• Erin replies to Jane
      September 24, 2013 @ 7:50 pm

Wow, that’s awesome! I’m also a veggie hater so I can sympathize with your husband. ;) So funny that he had no clue that these had zucchini in them. Woohoo! I’m happy to hear that the sipping chocolate powder worked out. :) Thanks so much for the feedback!

• Nicole says
    September 13, 2013 @ 6:02 am

I just made these and they are delish…..You would never know that there is zucchini in them. I’m not even going to tell the kids or hubby. Thank you for the great recipe.

• Monica says
    September 7, 2013 @ 1:42 am

We finally got around to making these, soooo good! My girls thought it was funny that we put a zucchini in brownies. We gobbled them up in no time! Thank you!!

• Erin replies to Monica
      September 8, 2013 @ 11:07 pm

I’m so happy that you all liked them, Monica! And awesome that your girls thought it was funny about the zucchini (rather than gross!) Thanks so much for letting me know that they came out well. :)

• Regina says
    August 28, 2013 @ 2:25 am

These brownies look ridiculously gooey! I want to plant my face in them :D

• Erin replies to Regina
      September 1, 2013 @ 3:15 pm

Hehe. Me too! Soo gooey. ;)

• Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen says
    August 27, 2013 @ 7:10 pm

YES!!! Healthy brownies are the best. :)

• Wild Child says
    August 26, 2013 @ 5:59 pm

Healthier weekend treats, and maybe a little less ice cream….lol