This thick and creamy healthy chocolate raspberry pudding is guilt-free and sweetened with fruit! Naturally gluten-free, vegan and dairy-free.
Yup. It’s actually healthy.
There’s no added sugar at all. Just fruit. There’s about half an avocado, 3/4 cup raspberries and some dates. I normally use bananas in these type of things but I didn’t want the taste to overpower the raspberries, so I went with dates. I really do not like dates but once they’re processed into nothingness, I don’t mind them (and actually even appreciate them!)
Thanks to the avocado, you’ve got your healthy fats. And the raspberries provide you with a nice amount of fiber. I didn’t strain the raspberries because I don’t mind the seeds, but if you’ve got picky kids, you may want to do that prior to adding the raspberries to the avocado / date mixture.
There’s a small optional amount of Greek yogurt, regular yogurt, or whatever dairy-free milk you have on hand. It’s good either way, but I preferred it with Greek yogurt.
I have to be honest. This doesn’t taste totally like normal pudding (in case that’s not obvious by the ingredients ;)) First you’ve got the raspberry seeds and on top of that, it’s not nearly as sweet. But it is incredibly creamy and will definitely satisfy any chocolate or dessert craving you may have!
It was plenty sweet for Mr. T and I, but you can always add in a little sugar. I tossed in a little coconut sugar to the pudding once, just to see if it’d dissolve or taste funky due to the taste of the coconut sugar, but all was well.
I first posted this chocolate raspberry pudding in February 2012 but I thought it needed a makeover so here it is again! If you’ve had my chocolate avocado smoothie – this recipe is very similar. You can’t taste the avocado (another thing that I don’t like!) and chocolate is the predominant flavor. You can definitely taste the raspberries, and it’s more than subtle, but it’s mostly chocolate.
And um, apparently it’s chocolate raspberry recipe week on the blog. It was unintended but I hope y’all don’t mind. :)
Healthy Chocolate Raspberry Pudding (vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free)
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready in:
- Yield: 1 large or 2 smallish/medium servings
- 6 dates (40 grams - if you use Medjool dates, go by weight)
- 85 grams cold avocado flesh (~½ avocado)
- ¾ cup (94 grams) frozen or fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt, regular yogurt, or dairy-free / vegan milk of choice - optional
- Blend the dates and avocado together with an immersion blender or a small food processor until it's very creamy. You can also use a blender if you have a very good one like a Blendtec (my regular blender requires too much liquid for a pudding like this).
- Add the frozen raspberries, cocoa powder and vanilla and process until well combined.
- Add the yogurt or milk, if desired.
- Serve immediately. If you use fresh raspberries, you'll probably want to refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.