Spicy Potato Wedges

These spicy potato wedges have a great kick to them and are relatively healthy!

I was going through my posts today and realized that the last seven recipes all started with “100% Whole Grain” and I felt a bit silly. I’m just so excited about 100% whole grain everything that I forget to offer some variety. So here are some spicy potatoes wedges.

Spicy Potato Wedges | texanerin.com

I love roasted potatoes. They’re so versatile. You can use up fresh herbs on them or throw in the dried stuff. I’m usually pretty lazy and just use salt, rosemary and garlic powder, but I also like them with a kick. What’s your favorite way to make roasted potatoes?

After I made these potato wedges for the first time, I made it again, but made 10x the amount so that I could have the mix handy whenever I’m craving potatoes. Makes my life so much easier! That and even Mr. T can make them now. Just cut up potatoes, add olive oil and spice. Done!

Spicy Potato Wedges | texanerin.com

This is a little weird, but I like to let the potatoes sit for about 10 minutes after taking them out of the oven. They get a little softer, both inside and outside. I’m guessing everyone else likes their potato wedges crispy on the outside, so feel free to skip that step!

These spicy potato wedges are no good reheated, so eat them up while still warm!

Spicy Potato Wedges

Spicy Potato Wedges
  • Yield: 6 servings

• 2½ pounds (1.13 kg) potatoes (or 3 pounds for less spicy potatoes)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced (or maybe ½ teaspoon garlic powder)
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • ½ teaspoon cayenne
  • ½ teaspoon paprika
  • ¾ teaspoon salt (I have to admit that I end up adding a lot more)
  • ½ teaspoon pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 450°F / 230°C. Pour the olive oil onto a rimmed cookie sheet. Add the spices and mix with the olive oil.
  2. Clean the potatoes and slice the potato into even wedges. Put the potatoes on the cookie sheet and use your hands to coat the potatoes with the olive oil mix.
  3. The baking time will vary depending on how big your wedges are. I usually bake mine for 20 minutes, take them out of the oven to flip them, and bake for another 10 – 15 minutes. If you want them crispier, just bake them for a few minutes longer.

48 comments on “Spicy Potato Wedges” — Add one!

• Alexa
    October 16, 2014 @ 6:37 am

These are AWESOME! Thank you for the recipe!!

• Erin replies to Alexa
      October 17, 2014 @ 5:39 pm

Yay! I’m happy that they worked out well for you and you’re welcome for the recipes. :) Thanks for the comment!

• Ellen says
    October 4, 2014 @ 6:14 pm

I made these awhile ago as a starting point for coming up with my own recipe – I always try out several recipes and then pick my favourite aspects of each and do some tweaking! This one worked out best, so I used it as the base and then started experimenting…my boyfriend doesn’t like potatoes (not crisps, chips, fries, boiled, mashed, roasted, wedges – none!)…but he ate these! Not only did he eat the few I asked him to at least TRY, but he went back for more!…and even more! Ate the equivalent of 3 big potatoes!
    Had very few left over after he, my mom and 3 sisters got to them, but I did reheat some the next day and they were just as good! I tried tossing them in the frying pan and also tried grilling them in the oven – frying works a LITTLE bit better, but grilling is always healthier!
    Never buying frozen wedges again! These were nicer than any store-bought ones!

• Erin replies to Ellen
      October 5, 2014 @ 3:29 pm

I’m so happy that they came out well and that you were able to get your boyfriend to share in some potato love. :D That’s awesome! And good to know that frying and grilling works when reheating them. I’ve just never been a fan of reheated potatoes so I rarely even try! Thanks so much for the feedback. :)

• Laurie says
    August 20, 2014 @ 5:02 am

Love these wedges! Trying to figure out how I can make these for my daughter’s wedding. It’s an away-wedding (of course !) & a 3 hour drive, but I’m determined to do this! I can’t bake them all the day of the wedding & reheating in microwave, while still good, makes them soggy. So if I reheat them in the oven covered with foil would they still be crispy & not dried out? I know I could try this out myself but I wanted your input for any other ideas. Would really appreciate your insight. Thanks!

• Erin replies to Laurie
      August 22, 2014 @ 6:38 pm

So happy that you liked them! :) Have you ever tried reheating them on a baking stone? That works great for these! They’ll crisp right back up and won’t be soggy or dried out. But the problem is that I’m afraid you’d need a ton of baking stones to be able to reheat them all for a wedding party. The potatoes shouldn’t be piled. If you try it out, good luck! I’m honored that you like these enough to make them for your daughter’s wedding (and congratulations to her!) Sorry for my slow reply – I hope I’m not too late!

• Laurie replies to Erin
        August 24, 2014 @ 4:38 am

Thank you so much for replying! Not slow at all. Well, I don’t have a baking stone but, what about spreading them out on cookie sheets — covering them with foil — put them in the oven at 300 F for 5 minutes — take off foil & leave in another 5 minutes. Wouldn’t that work? Would really appreciate your input. Thanks a lot! And wedding is September 6!

• Erin replies to Laurie
          August 27, 2014 @ 6:16 pm

I think that without a baking stone, they’ll be soggy. :( But you could always try it! I really hope I’m wrong. I just haven’t had the best experience with reheating potatoes without a stone. And sorry again for the slowness! Just got back from a vacation where the hotel had internet issues.

• Katreena
    August 13, 2014 @ 10:13 pm

As strange as this is going to sound, I recently had the most delicious roasted potato wedges at a hospital cafeteria!!! The second I was done eating them I 1. Wanted more!!! And 2. Needed to recreate them immediately so that I can have them anytime I want!

Well, I’m VERY pleased to report that your recipe, while similar in taste…are actually even BETTER! Thank you for sharing the recipe and I love your site as well, very easy to navigate! I can’t wait to try other recipes!

Ps- sorry for the multitude of all caps and exclamation points, apparently potatoes get me rather excited! But really, how could they not!!! LOL!

• Erin replies to Katreena
      August 18, 2014 @ 6:29 pm

Haha. I love this comment. :D I’m so happy that these beat the ones at the hospital cafeteria! :) I hope you’ll enjoy the other recipes, too. Thanks so much for the comment and very sorry for my slow reply!

• Tabby says
    August 8, 2014 @ 1:07 am

Great potatoes. By the way… They warm up great in the nuwave.

• Erin replies to Tabby
      August 11, 2014 @ 1:47 pm

Good to know! Thanks for the tip. :)

• Emmie says
    July 2, 2014 @ 2:13 am

I have a pampered chef cooking stone. If you get it hot in the oven you can re-heat these to their original yummy state. Works for french fries, fried seafood, too. A pizza stone would probably do the same.

• Erin replies to Emmie
      July 5, 2014 @ 10:19 pm

I have one, too! Love it and especially for stuff like this! Thanks for the tip. :)

• shahid says
    June 29, 2014 @ 2:22 pm

I like potatoes..and i look around for rcipes..i will try this recipe

• Erin replies to shahid
      July 1, 2014 @ 1:45 pm

I hope you’ll enjoy the potatoes! :)

• Linda says
    June 19, 2014 @ 12:37 am

I am making this for the 3rd time tonight – – so easy and so good. Thank you for sharing. I have even passed the recipe and your website on to others.

• Erin replies to Linda
      June 21, 2014 @ 12:54 pm

I’m so happy that you enjoyed the wedges! Thanks for letting me know and for passing on the recipe and website to others. :)

• shaindee
    May 29, 2014 @ 2:34 am

OMG!!! These are out of this world!!!! I will deff be making those again. (i did omit the cayenne tho)

• Erin replies to shaindee
      May 29, 2014 @ 4:25 pm

I’m so happy that you liked the potatoes and will make them again! Thanks a ton for the feedback. :)

• Zoe
    May 3, 2014 @ 1:40 pm

I made these last night, they were delicious. I’ve made spicy wedges before, but they were never quite spicy enough for us, these were perfect! Thanks for the recipe, looking forward to trying some of your others too.

• Erin replies to Zoe
      May 4, 2014 @ 6:38 pm

I’m so happy that you liked the potatoes! I hope you’ll enjoy the other recipes just as much. :) Thanks a bunch for the feedback and the rating!

• Connie
    ♥♥♥♥
    April 21, 2014 @ 12:06 am

Making these right now they small wonderful very easy to make and will make them again.

• Erin replies to Connie
      April 22, 2014 @ 10:02 pm

I hope you enjoyed them, Connie! :)

• Linda
    November 16, 2013 @ 2:09 am

This is a great recipe for us since we enjoy the “heat”!! One thing I did differently in prep was put the dry ingredients and oil in a gallon zip-lock bag and mixed it up. Then, I dumped in my wedges to coat and let them sit for a while and plopped them out on my foil lined cookie sheet. No mess on my hands!!

• Erin replies to Linda
      November 16, 2013 @ 6:03 pm

Sounds like a good change! I’d probably do the same Ziplocs weren’t a small fortune in Germany. ;) So happy that you liked the potatoes and thanks so much for the feedback and the rating!

• HOPE
    November 14, 2013 @ 8:14 pm

This recipe sounds so good, I am going to make them right now!!!!! Thanks for the picture, the potato’s look so tasty!!! Ill let you know how my potato’s turned out!

• Erin replies to HOPE
      November 16, 2013 @ 6:10 pm

Thanks, Hope! I hope that you liked them! :)

• Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts says
    October 3, 2013 @ 6:22 pm

I made these for dinner the other night, they were great! I didn’t have the parsley, so I left that out. They had great flavor, with just a little kick! Even my 8 year old, who doesn’t like spice ate a ton of them!

• Unknown says
    February 9, 2013 @ 10:56 pm

I absolutely DISAGREE :D with you saying these are NO GOOD reheated!! In the morning I cut them up (the leftovers) and I throw them in a skillet with a bit of butter and cook them until they're golden delicious!! Sometimes I mix them with Scrambled eggs, or crack fried eggs on top… :D Potatoes are so versatile!

I am going to make some of these tonight now :D

• Erin replies to Unknown
      February 11, 2013 @ 8:14 pm

Haha. I'm happy you liked them! And even reheated! Sorry for the slow reply. I'm a bit behind with just about everything. Anyway, thanks for the tip and the feedback! I really appreciate it. :)

June 12, 2012 @ 7:48 am

Dwaun – Aww, that's sweet. I hope your future woman loves them. :)

• Dwaun Marshall says
    June 12, 2012 @ 4:12 am

Spicy Potato wedges is what I will make sometimes,
    Eventually. I can date a woman, who would make that with me and fall right in love.

March 28, 2012 @ 7:17 pm

Anon – Thanks for your tip! I'm happy you enjoy the potatoes. I have some lemon, rosemary and garlic potato wedges in the oven but now I'm wishing I would have made these. They're so yummy! Thanks again for the feedback. :)

• Anonymous says
    March 28, 2012 @ 4:56 am

Make these all the time – red potatoes work too. I usually mix the oil and spices in a plastic bag and then add the potatoes – not so messy! Just toss the bag after you put on cookie sheet!

November 27, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

Aww, that's sweet. :) Thanks for the feedback! I'm happy to hear that someone liked them.

• Anonymous says
    November 27, 2011 @ 4:46 pm

These are delicious! Made them several times, my girlfriend loves me more each time :)

November 3, 2011 @ 2:57 pm

Let me know how they turned out! I hope you're enjoying them. :)

• Ima says
    November 3, 2011 @ 2:14 pm

I'm making this. The potatoes are in the oven right now. I hope I'm making it the right way so it would turn out delicious. Thanks for sharing this :)

• Peggy says
    October 24, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

I haven't had a decent potato wedge in ages! I love how yours have a spicy kick and a crispy around the edges =)

October 22, 2011 @ 6:55 pm

You're welcome! I hope you like them if you get around to making them. :)

• warmvanillasugar says
    October 22, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

These sound lovely! I love trying new potato recipes. Thanks!

October 21, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

Thanks Regan! I took a look at your page (also lovely!) and I don't think you have too many whole grain posts at all. And you definitely offer a lot of variety! I will check out the new site. Thanks for letting me know and for stopping by. :)

• Regan - The Professional Palate says
    October 21, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

Just found your blog from Caroline's and it's lovely! I've been a threat to post a "tad" too many "Whole Grain" posts lately myself… so thanks for the reminder & potato inspiration.

FYI… we just launched a new food photo sharing site at http://www.healthyaperture.com. I'm sure the editorial team would be honored if you submitted some of your pics. There are a lot of lovely ones on here!

October 20, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

Becca – Me too! Potato wedges ruined fries for me. I'm just not interested in them unless there's nothing else to eat.

Miryam – What do you eat? Spanish food? I don't think of these wedges as being good for Thanksgiving, but if you like spicy at Thanksgiving, then why not! :)

October 20, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

So simple and so good…this could be a good contender for a side dish for thanksgiving given the fact that we don't do turkey :-)

They look really yummy!

• Becca says
    October 20, 2011 @ 4:22 am

I love, love, love potato wedges. I would take them over fries any day of the week, any month of the year. These particular ones look very delicious.