Lemon curd is sandwiched between soft and chewy gluten-free and grain-free lemon cookies in this dairy-free treat!
In these weeks after Christmas, I’m so thankful to have lemons around. Could you imagine a post-Christmas winter without lemons? Depressing, right? I can’t wait to buy a house and have lemon trees galore! And when that times comes, I’m going to make oodles of these lemon cookie sandwiches.
The lemon cookies themselves are actually vegan, but because of the curd, the cookie sandwiches aren’t. I tried to think of an alternative vegan filling but couldn’t come up with anything that sounded as delicious as curd. Ideas?!
The dough used here is my new favorite grain-free cookie base and I have another recipe already coming up on Monday using it. It yields such chewy and soft cookies. And in these lemon cookie sandwiches, the curd softens the cookies even more.
I used this honey sweetened lemon curd as the filling since I had to do something with it and I don’t especially like it on bread. Or by the spoonful. If you don’t have any curd handy and don’t want to make any, the cream cheese filling I used in my chewy ginger sandwich cookies with lemon filling would work well here but the lemon curd just adds so much zing! Why make a regular lemon cookie sandwich when you could have little citrus explosions in your mouth? :D
This recipe has lemon extract, lemon zest, and lemon curd. Switch all of that out to lime or orange if that sounds better! Another thing to note is that this recipe yields relatively few cookies. You know, portion control issues. So double it if you have a friend to share with. ;)
If gluten-free baking and almond flour isn’t your thing, try these lemon burst cookies from scratch from Crunchy, Creamy, Sweet! I bet they’d be awesome with white whole wheat flour.
Lemon Cookie Sandwiches (grain-free, dairy-free)
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready in:
- Yield: 12 sandwich cookies
- ¼ cup (56 grams) refined1 coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup (107 grams) maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1½ teaspoons lemon extract
- 133 grams (~1⅓ cups but please weigh!) almond flour
- 2 tablespoons (17 grams) sifted coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ - ½ cup lemon curd
- In a large bowl, mix together the coconut oil, maple syrup, lemon zest and lemon extract.
- Add the almond flour, sifted coconut flour, baking soda and salt.
- If the dough is too soft to roll into balls, refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Roll the dough into twenty-four ¾" balls and place 1" apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Press the balls down slightly and bake for 10 minutes. The cookies should crackle a little.
- Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are cool, assemble the cookie sandwiches by placing 2 teaspoons of curd between two cookies.
- Place the cookies in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
This recipe was linked up to Allergy Free Wednesdays.