These paleo lemon bars are sweetened naturally with maple syrup and are grain-free, gluten-free and dairy-free!
You might be wondering why I’m posting this paleo lemon bars recipe when, as you know, it’s pumpkin time! Today, a group of food bloggers has gotten together to throw Liz of The Lemon Bowl a surprise baby shower!
I got to meet Liz while at BlogHer Food in Austin this summer. She was so sweet and I’m super excited for her and her family!
Liz, who almost always posts healthy recipes, got a bit naughty with her recipe for lemon bars. They were for her mother for Mother’s Day but I figured that Liz would love a healthier version! And these lemon bars also happen to be paleo.
Lemon bars are usually so full of white sugar but this paleo lemon bar version? Just maple syrup! And there’s so little of it compared to the amount of sugar in other recipes.
I made raspberry lemon bars a few months ago. That filling is honey sweetened and has an amazing whole grain buttery cookie crust, which you could use instead of the crust in this recipe (make only half of that crust recipe!)
These lemon bars have a macaroon-like base. But it was just too much crust for me. I’ve written the recipe as I made it, but I would halve the crust if I were you.
Don’t need to eat grain-free? Go for the less healthy crust in the raspberry lemon bars! :D I mentioned in my blueberry cream cheese pie recipe that it’s the best crust ever. And it is. But it’s kind of an unfair comparison – it’s full of butter, sugar, and whole wheat pastry flour and this version is grain-free and lightly sweetened with maple syrup.
Be sure to check out the other ladies’ baby shower goodies! Do you notice a theme here? :)
- Whipped Feta Spread with Lemon, Garlic & Rosemary by Miss in the Kitchen
- Cauliflower Mashed “Potatoes” in a Lemon Cup with Smoked Paprika by Climbing Grier Mountain
- Lemon Basil Bruschetta by Dine & Dish
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Fries w/ Lemon Basil Aioli by What’s Gaby Cooking
- Lemon Garlic Herb Marinated Olives by Sarah’s Cucina Bella
- Kalamata Olive and Feta Dip with Baked Lemon Pepper Pita Chips by In Aggie’s Kitchen
- Creamy Asparagus Guacamole by The Healthy Apple
- Sparkling Honey Rosemary Lemonade by Nutmeg Nanny
- Basil Hibiscus Lemonade by Fabtastic Eats
- Jam Mocktails: Lemon & Pineapple by Cooking with Books
- Lemon Jalapeno Spritzers by Bev Cooks
- Sparkling Blackberry Lemonade by Crumbs and Chaos
- Limonana (Middle Eastern Frozen Mint Lemonade) by An Edible Mosaic
- Tipsy Lemonade Iced Tea by Family Fresh Cooking
- Lemon Quinoa Salad with Pistachios & Sun-Dried Tomatoes by Cookin’ Canuck
- Greek Salad with Garlic-Lemon Vinaigrette by Gimme Some Oven
- Pear Quinoa Salad by Reluctant Entertainer
- Lemon Avocado Salad Dressing by The Lean Green Bean
- Lemony Spinach & Tomato Quinoa Salad by MomAdvice
- Herbed Calamari Salad with Preserved Lemons by Everyday Maven
- Italian Lemon Roast Chicken Pot by Eat2Gather
- Roasted Lemon Garlic Cocktail Shrimp by Simply Scratch
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp Tostada by A Zesty Bite
- Lemon Pepper Shrimp Linguine by Taste and Tell
- Salmon with Lemon Herb Butter by Handle the Heat
- Lemon Chicken Stew by FoodieCrush
- Chicken Saltimbocca with Lemon Cream Sauce and Olive Orzo by Baker by Nature
- Honey Lemon Shortbread Cookies by Rachel Cooks
- Lemon Blueberry Macarons by Chocolate & Carrots
- Lemon Glazed Cookies by A Cedar Spoon
- Healthier Lemon Bars by Texanerin Baking
- Lemon Sugar Cookies by What Megan’s Making
- Light Lemon Mousse by Country Cleaver
- Lemon Sugar Cookie Sandwiches by i am baker
- Mini Lemon Cheesecakes with Gingersnap Crust by The Law Student’s Wife
- Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Chips by Seeded at the Table
Paleo Lemon Bars (grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free)
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready in:
- Yield: 8 bars
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (31 grams) coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) almond flour
- a pinch of salt
- 1 egg white
- 3 eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) maple syrup
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- 1/3 cup (33 grams) almond flour
- powdered sugar or coconut flour, optional (use coconut flour for paleo)
For the crust:1
For the filling:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Line a 9" x 5" loaf pan with parchment paper (this make the bars much easier to remove from the pan).
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the maple syrup, shredded coconut, almond flour and salt.
- Mix until well combined and remove from the heat.
- Add the egg white (saving the yolk for later!) and stir.
- Pat the mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan and press down firmly.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, start preparing the filling.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the eggs and egg yolks until frothy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat for two additional minutes.
- Pour the filling over the baked crust and bake for 19 - 21 minutes or until the center is set.
- Let the bars cool completely and then cut and serve.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Before serving, dust with powdered sugar or coconut flour, if desired.
Adapted from Perfect Lemon Coconut Bars from Green Kitchen Stories