This apple smoothie is thick, creamy and so delicious. Think of it as a fuss-free, less sugary and more healthy version of apple pie. With vegan, paleo and AIP options.
I know that some people are still dealing with high temperatures so here’s a cool and refreshing apple smoothie before I start posting a ton of baked apple treats.
If you’re already in the mood for some fall baking, my Swedish apple pie, gluten-free apple crisp, and paleo apple muffins are some reader (and my!) favorites.
When I first started working on this recipe, I tried it with ingredients like raw apples, applesauce, apple juice and cottage cheese. They were watery and mealy. To be honest, they were disgusting.
Then I got the idea of cooking the apples in the microwave first. Tada! That’s the key. You can, of course, cook the apples on the stovetop if you prefer.
This apple smoothie recipe calls for oats, which isn’t something I usually add to my smoothies. It made the smoothie more filling and somehow made it a bit tastier. But they’re not necessary.
For a paleo version, shredded coconut works. Or maybe almond flour?! That’s something I’ve never added to a smoothie so I can’t say for sure that it’d work.
For the yogurt, you can use whatever type you’d like. It all works!
If you try out this apple smoothie, I’d love to hear how it goes. :)
Questions about this apple smoothie?
- Can I use a different type of fruit?
I think pears might work! Not too sure about anything else. But if you want to make a pear smoothie, it’s probably best to make this Pear Smoothie.
- Can I use something other than maple syrup?
Any liquid sweetener that you would use as a 1:1 sub for maple syrup or honey would probably work. Actually, you can use whatever sweetener you’d like, including granulated. Add to taste until you’re happy with it.
- Can I use something other than yogurt?
If you don’t have yogurt on hand, I’d recommend coconut cream as it’s quite thick. Milk would be fine but your smoothie will be very thin. And you can use whatever type of yogurt you have. Regular cow milk yogurt, Greek yogurt, almond / coconut / soy / whatever yogurt.
- Can I omit the maple syrup?
You might not even need it! For my taste and using the apples I used, 2 teaspoons was just right.
- Do I need to add the oats or coconut?
Nope. It just makes it thicker and more filling.
Apple Pie Smoothie (paleo, vegan options)
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready in:
- Yield: 1 large smoothie
- 2 medium sweet apples (mine were 135 grams each - you can use tart apples but then will need more sweetener)
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 3/4 cup (177 milliliters) yogurt (any kind - make sure to paleo / vegan / AIP yogurt, if needed)
- 1/4 cup (23 grams) rolled oats (use GF oats for a gluten-free version) or 1/4 cup (20 grams) shredded coconut for a paleo / AIP version
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (use 1/4 teaspoon vanilla powder for AIP)
- 1/8 - 1/4 ground nutmeg, optional (mace for AIP)
- Peel and chop the apples coarsely (about 1/2" chunks).
- Put the apple pieces in a microwave-safe bowl along with cinnamon and maple syrup.
- Stir and microwave for 2 minutes on high. They should be soft after the two minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the yogurt, oats and vanilla.
- Let the apples cool for 15 minutes and then add to the blender. Blend until smooth. Add more cinnamon or maple syrup to taste.
- Serve now, or chill, or even warm up in the microwave if you'd like it warm.
- For AIP, use coconut milk yogurt (make sure it's AIP-compliant or make your own),
32 comments on “Apple Smoothie (paleo, vegan options)” — Add one!
2 comments are awaiting moderation!
Umm stupid question- do you use raw oatmeal or do you cook it first? Thanks!
Not stupid! You use it raw. :)
Super delicious! I love the cooked apples with the yogurt, brilliant. Thank you!
You’re welcome! I’m glad you like it! :)
This is such a fun idea, I love how you have cooked the apples first with cinnamon and maple syrup. I’m always on the lookout for new smoothie ideas and love coming across something different like this.
Thank you! Hope you get the chance to try it out. :)
So delicious and delightful! The taste of Fall! I love apple pie smoothie………….
I’m glad you like it! :)
Finally – a perfect-for-fall apple recipe I can actually make in this crazy heat! My whole family is going to love these smoothies… we are having them for breakfast!
Oh yay! I hope everyone enjoyed them!
Wow, this is so creative! And, it sounds super delicious, yum!
I am loving the thick, luscious texture of these. Microwaving the apples first is such a great idea!
It definitely does the trick!
It is too hot to do any baking today, but it is the perfect day for a cold smoothie that tastes like a pie! Thank you, I needed this today!
You’re welcome! Glad you like it. :)
I made this yesterday and it was so good and refreshing. After I let the apples cool, I used whole plain yogurt which cooled it down and was the perfect healthy snack. Yum!
Yay! I’m so glad you liked it! Thanks a bunch for your feedback. :)
Yummmmmm!! Apple pie in a cup!! This looks like just the right pick-me-up for the fall.
I think so, too! :D
Umm – yes please! I have SO many apples right now so I guess I have no choice but to make this for breakfast!
I think you’re right! :D
So delicious and delightful! The taste of Fall!
Thank you! :)
Sounds so delicious. I never use a microwave though, so would need to sort out the stove top method. The ingredients together sound amazing and so yummy!!
Thank you very much! :)
So easy, quickly for a healthy breakfast.
Actually, I am very lazy to cook breakfast but if I have this apple smoothie recipe why not try it, hihi.
Definitely! I hope you’ll enjoy it! :)
Delicious with a honey crisp apple. Nice taste of fall!
Thank you! :D
It’s totally like drinking an apple pie! Perfect for those leftover hot days.
I totally agree! :D