Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter

Roasting almonds in maple syrup before processing and adding cinnamon yields an amazingly tasty maple cinnamon almond butter! You’ll never buy store bought again.

Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter | texanerin.com

You know what? I don’t like almonds. But almonds roasted in maple syrup, combined with cinnamon? This stuff is insanely delicious. Maple cinnamon almond butter = like not-so-sweet spreadable candy!

I’ve seen recipes with oil but you really don’t need any. I used to use a 15 – 20 year old food processor and even I didn’t need oil. You just have to keep processing until it’s creamy like natural peanut butter.

If you skip the roasting part, it will take a lot longer to process the almonds. One time, it took me about 20 minutes and I was worried about burning my food processor. So don’t try to save time by not roasting the almonds because in the end you’ll be spending more time on it. Plus you’ll miss out on the candied almond thing that’s going on and you definitely don’t want to do that. ;)

Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter | texanerin.com

Also be sure to use a rimmed baking sheet. More than once, I’ve forgotten about that thinking the maple syrup wouldn’t run off the pan, but it always does. And 10 minutes later there’s a smoky oven disaster.

I’ve also tried adding vanilla to this almond butter but it always seizes up (and that’s using homemade vanilla with just vodka and vanilla beans). If you want to add vanilla, you can add the seeds from a vanilla pod.

Another thing I’ve tried is roasting the almonds, processing and then adding the maple syrup. It’s just not the same! And don’t think about honey. Honey always turns my runny almond butter isn’t this clumpy ball.

Want some stuff to bake with your maple cinnamon almond butter?

Gluten-free and Grain-free Cinnamon Roll Donuts | texanerin.com
Gluten-free and Grain-free Cinnamon Roll Donuts
Almond Butter Maple Cookies (100% whole grain, dairy-free) – you won't believe how easy and delicious these are! | texanerin.com
Almond Butter Maple Cookies (100% whole grain, dairy-free)
Grain-free Raw Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough – only has 4 ingredients, and is incredibly quick, simple and addicting! | texanerin.com
Raw Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (grain-free)
– use almond butter instead of peanut butter, add some spices, and you’ve got some yummy fall flavored cookie dough!

Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter

• Yield: 1¼ cups

• 2 cups almonds (300 grams)
  • ⅓ cup maple syrup (80ml) – sometimes I use ¼ cup, but I prefer ⅓ cup
  • 1 or 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • a pinch of salt

1. Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C).
  2. Place a Silpat or piece of parchment paper on a rimmed baking sheet.
  3. Place the almonds on the Silpat and pour the maple syrup over them. Make sure all the almonds are covered.
  4. Roast the almonds for 15 – 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. I try to roast them as long as possible without burning them, which is usually 20 minutes, but it might take less time in your oven. I didn’t roast them long enough a few times and it ended up taking about 25 minutes to process them. Also, be careful when you stir them the first time. You don’t want the syrup to spill into the oven.
  5. Remove the pan from the oven. Take the Silpat off the pan and let the almonds cool about 5 – 8 minutes. They shouldn’t be super hot, but they should still be warm. If you wait too long, it’ll be more difficult to process them. But if they’re too warm it might upset your food processor. I didn’t wait once and just started processing. This melted the top part of my food processor. So waiting is important! I also take off the pusher and I think that this helps release some of the heat.
  6. Put the almonds in the food processor and process until it’s creamy. Stop every few minutes to scrape the side of the bowl (and I like giving the food processor little breaks). The last time I made this it only took 7 minutes. I think 15 minutes is normal for most food processors. Add a pinch of salt and the cinnamon. I like 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, but try it after 1 and see if it’s good. Process for a few more seconds until it’s combined well.
  7. Store in the refrigerator and enjoy!

19 comments on “Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter” — Add one!

• Nicole says
    December 3, 2013 @ 10:49 am

Could I toast the almonds with honey instead of maple syrup? I am currently in New Zealand and the good syrup is just a bit hard to find.

• Erin replies to Nicole
      December 4, 2013 @ 1:11 pm

I haven’t tried it but I think it’d work (keep a close eye on it!) But I don’t know if it’d be very tasty. Perhaps that’s just a personal preference thing, though! Let me know if it works out. :)

• Sarah says
    February 24, 2013 @ 3:53 am

I finally got around to trying out this recipe and after a little trial and error with my food processor it worked perfectly even cutting the recipe in half. It is soooooooo good!!

• Erin replies to Sarah
      February 24, 2013 @ 3:33 pm

I'm happy that it worked and that you liked it! And cut it in half? Nooo! It's too good for only having half. ;) Thanks for the feedback!

• Jenn says
    February 20, 2013 @ 12:28 pm

Erin, this time I made the recipe as is with 1 tsp of cinnamon. I have never liked Almond Butter in the past, but now I know why. It was missing cinnamon! The cinnamon is key and this recipe is AMAZING! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• Erin replies to Jenn
      February 20, 2013 @ 8:18 pm

Hi again! I'm so happy that you tried the recipe as is this time (although your way sounds good!) The cinnamon really makes almond butter edible, doesn't it?! ;) And I guess the maple syrup helps, too. Thank you again for your feedback! I appreciate it. :)

• Jenn says
    January 27, 2013 @ 4:51 pm

This recipe also works with peanuts and honey. I roasted 2 c peanuts with 1/3 c honey and followed the directions thereafter. Oh so good! I will never buy expensive or chemical laden nut butters from the store ever again. Thanks Erin!

• Erin replies to Jenn
      January 29, 2013 @ 2:45 pm

Oh wow. That's a lot of honey. :) It sounds magical! I would love that. I sometimes add a little when making peanut butter, but I've never tried that much. And you roasted the peanuts with honey?! Oh my. Yum! Thanks for the idea. :)

• Jenn replies to Jenn
      February 2, 2013 @ 5:26 am

It was so magical that the peanut butter is quickly disappearing! :D

July 3, 2012 @ 9:05 am

Lisa – $11 a jar?! Oh my gosh. That is absolutely terrible! This is much cheaper and super delicious. It's still my favorite thing to put on bread. Let me know how you like it! And remember to let those almonds process until they break down into a liquid. The time depends on your processor, but it will happen! :)

• Lisa says
    July 3, 2012 @ 5:42 am

I can't tell you how excited I am about this! One of my very favorite snacks is apple slices and peanut butter, however I'm a teacher and always seem to have a peanut allergy student. I've had maple cinnamon almond butter and loved it, but at $11/jar, I couldn't afford to eat that daily! SO very excited to be able to make my own for much cheaper! Thanks so much – can't wait to try it! :)

May 8, 2012 @ 7:27 am

Erin – A normal food processor can handle this! I don't even have something like a Vitamix. Just be careful about letting the almonds sit for 5 minutes before putting them in the food processor. We don't have it overheat! I let it go for a few minutes, then stir, and so on to give it little breaks. I hope you like it!

May 8, 2012 @ 4:56 am

So could my regular ol' Cuisinart food processor handle this, or do I need a vitamix or something similar? This looks sooo good!

February 7, 2012 @ 7:33 pm

Sonia – I tried making it on the weekend without the maple syrup and it's just no good. I don't like almonds though so maybe that has something to do with it. The maple syrup just make it SOOO yummy. Being addicted to nut butter isn't so bad though. It's probably a pretty good addiction. :)

• Sonia The Healthy Foodie says
    February 5, 2012 @ 6:03 am

Oh god… this looks decadent! I want a bite NOW!

Oh, how I wish I weren't that badly addicted to nut butter!

I think I'll have to make something similar to this.

January 21, 2012 @ 11:32 pm

It should last for at least three months in the fridge. To be honest, I've lost it in the back before and it was still good even after three months. But it'll probably be eaten long before a month even.

• Anonymous says
    January 21, 2012 @ 11:08 pm

How long does it keep for?

September 18, 2011 @ 7:13 pm

Everything tastes better with maple syrup, doesn't it? :) I hope you like it!

September 18, 2011 @ 6:35 pm

I have had a similar recipe on my to do baking list for a while now :-) Maybe I will venture and make this one because with maple syrup I bet this one tastes lots better….