Honey Sweetened Lemon Curd (dairy-free)

This dairy-free and honey sweetened lemon curd uses whole eggs, meaning you’re not stuck with a load of egg whites!

Dairy-free and Honey-sweetened Lemon Curd from texanerin.com

When organic lemons are on sale, I go wild and buy several pounds of them. I don’t often buy organic produce because it’s so wildly expensive, but if I’m going to zest lemons and oranges, I go organic. I zest them and then freeze the zest in a small glass jar.

That way I don’t have to obsess over finding cheap organic lemons and oranges later in the year. I don’t often bake orange flavored goodies outside of the winter but it’s comforting to know that I could if I wanted to. ;) Plus I can only turn down Mr. T’s requests for chocolate orange scones for so long before I break down and make him some.

So now that a few dozen zested lemons were sitting around doing nothing but getting depressed by the dark weather, I had to find something to do with all the juice. Lemon curd was my first creation! I wanted to create a honey sweetened lemon curd just because the amount of white sugar I found in other recipes was kind of absurd. I’m sure they all taste wonderful – I just don’t need a cup of sugar in my lemon curd.

And because I didn’t need a ton of egg whites taking up room in the fridge, I used whole eggs. And it worked!

Honey Sweetened and Dairy-free Lemon Curd from texanerin.com

I made this a few times using different methods. The easiest and my favorite way was to just mix everything together in a pot and cook it until thickened. No need to whip eggs or separate them or any of that. I did like the effect that running it through a food mill had! Smoother lemon curd = better.

The honey taste in this lemon curd wasn’t super strong, but you can definitely taste it. If you don’t like honey, here’s a microwave lemon curd recipe from Very Culinary!

Since I know that a lot of you are dairy-free, I used refined coconut oil instead of butter to make this lemon curd dairy-free. You could use butter if you like.

Although this recipe is super easy, it can be ruined quickly – if you walk away! If you’re not paying attention, the lemon curd can go from perfect to a nasty, cooked egg mess in moments. So don’t get distracted. ;)

Honey Sweetened Lemon Curd

♥♥♥♥
Honey Sweetened Lemon Curd (dairy-free)
  • Yield: 1 cup

• 3 eggs
  • ¼ cup (80 grams) honey
  • zest of 2 lemons (about 1 tablespoon)
  • ¼ cup (56 grams) refined1 coconut oil or regular butter
  • ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon lemon juice

1. Mix together the eggs, honey and lemon zest in a medium non-reactive (ceramic, stainless steel, or nonstick) saucepan or pot. Do not use any reactive (aluminum, copper, iron, and steel) utensils when making this recipe. This applies to any recipe with acidic ingredients.
  2. Heat over medium-low heat and once everything is well-combined, add the coconut oil or butter and continue stirring.
  3. Once melted, stir in the lemon juice.
  4. Cook the lemon curd, stirring constantly, until it thickens – about 5-10 minutes.
  5. Strain the curd with a food mill or with a strainer and then let it cool completely.
  6. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.

Notes

1. Do not use unrefined coconut oil unless you want your lemon curd to taste coconut-ty!

47 comments on “Honey Sweetened Lemon Curd (dairy-free)” — Add one!

• Natalie
    ♥♥♥♥
    August 13, 2014 @ 10:41 am

Great recipe! Can I substitute the coconut oil with olive oil though?

• Erin replies to Natalie
      August 13, 2014 @ 10:48 am

I don’t think so because coconut oil and butter are solid when refrigerated and olive oil isn’t. I think it’d be a runny mess (though I could be wrong :))

• Lynette
    August 3, 2014 @ 11:59 pm

Do you have to strain the lemon curd or can you just bottle it .

• Erin replies to Lynette
      August 11, 2014 @ 1:37 pm

Oh, no. I’m so sorry I missed this comment! I’m probably too late but you strain it to get out any little lumpy egg bits. You don’t have to do it but I prefer my curd to be totally smooth. As far as bottling goes, I have to admit that I don’t have any experience with that or canning so I’m no help there. Sorry again!

• Jonathan says
    July 6, 2014 @ 11:28 am

This recipe was awesome!

For even less sugar, I used Rice Malt syrup instead of the honey and it was just as good.

• Erin replies to Jonathan
      July 10, 2014 @ 5:47 pm

That’s a great idea! Thanks for the feedback. :)

• Lesley Hiddins says
    July 6, 2014 @ 7:09 am

Yum, yum and yum!!!

• Erin replies to Lesley Hiddins
      July 10, 2014 @ 5:46 pm

Haha. I take it that you liked it? ;)

• Lesley Hiddins replies to Erin
        August 6, 2014 @ 8:56 am

So much that I keep making it. I also am using rice malt instead of honey and just as good. Thank you.

• Erin replies to Lesley Hiddins
          August 11, 2014 @ 1:34 pm

Rice malt?! That’s interesting. Good to know that that works and that you keep making the bars! :)

• Caitlin says
    June 12, 2014 @ 6:32 am

Do you think I could make this with just the egg yolks? I have another recipe I want to try that uses egg whites.

• Erin replies to Caitlin
      June 12, 2014 @ 7:31 am

I’m really not positive but I think it’d work. Let me know how it goes if you try it! :)

• Megan
    June 6, 2014 @ 8:06 pm

I made this curd and used an aluminum whisk to stir it. The acid in the lemon reacted with the aluminum and gave the curd a revolting metallic after taste. Wish this recipe mentioned about using no reactive utensils, pot, etc!!! Otherwise I think it would have been delicious!

• Erin replies to Megan
      June 6, 2014 @ 8:44 pm

I’m so sorry that it turned out badly for you! I assumed it was common knowledge that aluminium and acidic ingredients don’t go together so I didn’t mention it. I’ve edited the recipe to make it very clear that aluminum shouldn’t be used with this or any recipe with acidic ingredients like lemon juice. Sorry again. :(

• Kelly says
    June 6, 2014 @ 4:25 pm

Question: Do I use the portion left in the strainer, or the portion that goes through the strainer for the curd?

• Erin replies to Kelly
      June 6, 2014 @ 6:55 pm

You use the portion that goes through the strainer for the curd. :) The part that doesn’t make its way through the curd will be the yucky eggy stuff. I hope you’ll enjoy the curd!

• Heather
    May 6, 2014 @ 4:52 pm

Hi Erin, I made the sugar and butter loaded curd from a recipe I had, then got your email about your honey curd. I had to try it! I actually used organic coconut oil and didn’t notice a coconut-y flavor. It was just as good as the sugar and butter laden recipe I had made, and I felt better eating it knowing it had better ingredients! It tasted so good! I just bought another big bag of lemons, so I’ll be making your lemon curd again this week.

Thanks for all the wonderful recipes you post. It makes a real difference to those of us who still want sweets, but without the guilt!

• Erin replies to Heather
      May 6, 2014 @ 10:13 pm

Ooh! That’s great to know that there’s no coconut flavor with unrefined coconut oil. And I’m super happy to hear that it was as good as the butter / sugar version! I haven’t had regular curd in years so that comment is very, very helpful. :) Thanks again for your feedback and the rating! I really appreciate it. :)

• Erin replies to Heather
      May 6, 2014 @ 10:13 pm

And I’m so happy that you appreciate the slightly less guilt-inducing sweets! Thanks for the nice comment. :)

• MJones
    April 26, 2014 @ 5:44 pm

Hi, I made this a month a go or so and it was delicious, I’ve been waiting to make it again, I just wanted to check if I could freeze it?
    Thank you so much for this recipe, I eat dairy, wheat and sugar free and this was perfect :)
    M

• Erin replies to MJones
      April 26, 2014 @ 6:25 pm

I’m so happy you liked it! I haven’t tried freezing it but I don’t see why it wouldn’t freeze well. I think as long as you give it a good stir after thawing, it’ll be great. Thanks so much for the feedback and rating! :)

• Jess Muller says
    April 23, 2014 @ 10:53 pm

I just finished making this. I didn’t have any fresh lemon so I used store bought rather than fresh lemon juice and added 10 drops of Lemon essential oil in place of the zest.

Yummmmmm! thank you for a sugar free recipe

• Erin replies to Jess Muller
      April 25, 2014 @ 10:19 am

Yay! I’m so happy that you liked it, Jess! Good to know that lemon essential oil works in place of the zest. :) Thanks so much for the feedback!

• Allison
    March 2, 2014 @ 8:18 pm

I just love all of your healthy recipes…especially the grain free ones!! I plan to use this lemon curd for a lemon meringue pie with an almond flour crust! Thank you!!!

• Erin replies to Allison
      March 3, 2014 @ 6:57 pm

Thank you, Allison! That pie sounds awesome. :) And I’ve got a lot more grain-free recipes coming up. Sorry it’s been a while!

• Becca-cookie jar treats says
    February 9, 2014 @ 5:39 pm

I’ve seen lemon curd in the stores and I have no idea what I would use it for… But the color of this is so bright and beautiful!

• Erin replies to Becca-cookie jar treats
      February 9, 2014 @ 7:00 pm

I have some recipes coming up with it! Then you’ll know what to do. :)

• Pamela Capraru
      ♥♥♥♥
      replies to Becca-cookie jar treats
      March 19, 2014 @ 7:12 pm

Put lemon curd between the layers of a sponge or angel food cake. Top the cake with chantilly cream or vanilla yogurt and toasted slivered almonds. Spoon it over ice cream. Pour the warm lemon curd into demitasse cups and eat it like pudding, alone or with a few fresh berries on top. British people like it on toast. You don’t need a recipe to use it in. It’s dee-lish, and I can’t wait to try this version.

• Erin replies to Pamela Capraru
        March 22, 2014 @ 5:49 pm

So sorry for the slow reply, Pamela! Thanks a bunch for your suggestions. :) I especially love the idea with the angel food cake. I hope that you’ll enjoy the curd!

• Brigid
    February 8, 2014 @ 3:03 am

I’ve made this twice and both times I’ve ended up dancing around my kitchen licking the spoon. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• Erin replies to Brigid
      February 8, 2014 @ 7:02 pm

Oh, thank you! So happy to have received some feedback on this one. :) I’m thrilled that you liked it and to hear that it causes fits of dancing. :D Thanks again for the feedback and the rating!

January 30, 2014 @ 2:00 am

Oooh, yum! I just love lemon curd :) With coconut oil and honey? Awesome!

• Anna (Hidden Ponies) says
    January 24, 2014 @ 3:47 am

I love homemade lemon curd and especially love that you used the whole eggs, I hate separating eggs!

• Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking says
    January 23, 2014 @ 4:47 am

Ohhh, lemon curd. How I love thee. Thanks for reminding me about one of my favorite dessert picker-uppers, Erin! Best to make it this time of year, when citrus is at its best.

• Ada ~ More Food, Please says
    January 22, 2014 @ 6:10 pm

Yum, I love lemon curd! This looks delicious and I love how simple it is to make. Thanks for sharing :D

• Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction says
    January 22, 2014 @ 4:06 pm

Desserts with lemon curd are a favorite around here! Love that you use honey as the sweetener!

January 21, 2014 @ 11:38 pm

Lemon curd is one of my favorites – I love the tartness and sweetness to it!

• Medeja says
    January 21, 2014 @ 11:33 pm

It sounds easy and looks so beautiful and smooth!

• Erin replies to Medeja
      January 24, 2014 @ 8:36 pm

Thanks, Medeja! :)

• Danae @ reciperunner says
    January 21, 2014 @ 11:03 pm

I love lemon curd and really love using honey to sweeten things, can’t wait to try this!