Honey Sweetened Lemon Curd (dairy-free)

This dairy-free and honey sweetened lemon curd uses whole eggs, meaning you’re not stuck with a load of egg whites!

Dairy-free and Honey-sweetened Lemon Curd from texanerin.com

When organic lemons are on sale, I go wild and buy several pounds of them. I don’t often buy organic produce because it’s so wildly expensive, but if I’m going to zest lemons and oranges, I go organic. I zest them and then freeze the zest in a small glass jar.

That way I don’t have to obsess over finding cheap organic lemons and oranges later in the year. I don’t often bake orange flavored goodies outside of the winter but it’s comforting to know that I could if I wanted to. ;) Plus I can only turn down Mr. T’s requests for chocolate orange scones for so long before I break down and make him some.

So now that a few dozen zested lemons were sitting around doing nothing but getting depressed by the dark weather, I had to find something to do with all the juice. Lemon curd was my first creation! I wanted to create a honey sweetened lemon curd just because the amount of white sugar I found in other recipes was kind of absurd. I’m sure they all taste wonderful – I just don’t need a cup of sugar in my lemon curd.

And because I didn’t need a ton of egg whites taking up room in the fridge, I used whole eggs. And it worked!

Honey Sweetened and Dairy-free Lemon Curd from texanerin.com

I made this a few times using different methods. The easiest and my favorite way was to just mix everything together in a pot and cook it until thickened. No need to whip eggs or separate them or any of that. I did like the effect that running it through a food mill had! Smoother lemon curd = better.

The honey taste in this lemon curd wasn’t super strong, but you can definitely taste it. If you don’t like honey, here’s a microwave lemon curd recipe from Very Culinary!

Since I know that a lot of you are dairy-free, I used refined coconut oil instead of butter to make this lemon curd dairy-free. You could use butter if you like.

Although this recipe is super easy, it can be ruined quickly – if you walk away! If you’re not paying attention, the lemon curd can go from perfect to a nasty, cooked egg mess in moments. So don’t get distracted. ;)

Honey Sweetened Lemon Curd

Honey Sweetened Lemon Curd (dairy-free)
  • Yield: 1 cup

• 3 eggs
  • ¼ cup (80 grams) honey
  • zest of 2 lemons (about 1 tablespoon)
  • ¼ cup (56 grams) refined1 coconut oil or regular butter
  • ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon lemon juice

1. Mix together the eggs, honey and lemon zest in a medium saucepan or pot.
  2. Heat over medium-low heat and once everything is well-combined, add the coconut oil or butter and continue stirring.
  3. Once melted, stir in the lemon juice.
  4. Cook the lemon curd, stirring constantly, until it thickens – about 5-10 minutes.
  5. Strain the curd with a food mill or with a strainer and then let it cool completely.
  6. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.

Notes

1. Do not use unrefined coconut oil unless you want your lemon curd to taste coconut-ty!

24 comments on “Honey Sweetened Lemon Curd (dairy-free)” — Add one!

• Allison
    March 2, 2014 @ 8:18 pm

I just love all of your healthy recipes…especially the grain free ones!! I plan to use this lemon curd for a lemon meringue pie with an almond flour crust! Thank you!!!

• Erin replies to Allison
      March 3, 2014 @ 6:57 pm

Thank you, Allison! That pie sounds awesome. :) And I’ve got a lot more grain-free recipes coming up. Sorry it’s been a while!

• Becca-cookie jar treats says
    February 9, 2014 @ 5:39 pm

I’ve seen lemon curd in the stores and I have no idea what I would use it for… But the color of this is so bright and beautiful!

• Erin replies to Becca-cookie jar treats
      February 9, 2014 @ 7:00 pm

I have some recipes coming up with it! Then you’ll know what to do. :)

• Pamela Capraru
      ♥♥♥♥
      replies to Becca-cookie jar treats
      March 19, 2014 @ 7:12 pm

Put lemon curd between the layers of a sponge or angel food cake. Top the cake with chantilly cream or vanilla yogurt and toasted slivered almonds. Spoon it over ice cream. Pour the warm lemon curd into demitasse cups and eat it like pudding, alone or with a few fresh berries on top. British people like it on toast. You don’t need a recipe to use it in. It’s dee-lish, and I can’t wait to try this version.

• Erin replies to Pamela Capraru
        March 22, 2014 @ 5:49 pm

So sorry for the slow reply, Pamela! Thanks a bunch for your suggestions. :) I especially love the idea with the angel food cake. I hope that you’ll enjoy the curd!

• Brigid
    February 8, 2014 @ 3:03 am

I’ve made this twice and both times I’ve ended up dancing around my kitchen licking the spoon. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• Erin replies to Brigid
      February 8, 2014 @ 7:02 pm

Oh, thank you! So happy to have received some feedback on this one. :) I’m thrilled that you liked it and to hear that it causes fits of dancing. :D Thanks again for the feedback and the rating!

January 30, 2014 @ 2:00 am

Oooh, yum! I just love lemon curd :) With coconut oil and honey? Awesome!

• Anna (Hidden Ponies) says
    January 24, 2014 @ 3:47 am

I love homemade lemon curd and especially love that you used the whole eggs, I hate separating eggs!

• Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking says
    January 23, 2014 @ 4:47 am

Ohhh, lemon curd. How I love thee. Thanks for reminding me about one of my favorite dessert picker-uppers, Erin! Best to make it this time of year, when citrus is at its best.

• Ada ~ More Food, Please says
    January 22, 2014 @ 6:10 pm

Yum, I love lemon curd! This looks delicious and I love how simple it is to make. Thanks for sharing :D

• Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction says
    January 22, 2014 @ 4:06 pm

Desserts with lemon curd are a favorite around here! Love that you use honey as the sweetener!

January 21, 2014 @ 11:38 pm

Lemon curd is one of my favorites – I love the tartness and sweetness to it!

• Medeja says
    January 21, 2014 @ 11:33 pm

It sounds easy and looks so beautiful and smooth!

• Erin replies to Medeja
      January 24, 2014 @ 8:36 pm

Thanks, Medeja! :)

• Danae @ reciperunner says
    January 21, 2014 @ 11:03 pm

I love lemon curd and really love using honey to sweeten things, can’t wait to try this!