Chocolate Banana Muffins (grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free)

These dairy-free, gluten-free, grain-free chocolate banana muffins are bursting with banana flavor and are super rich and decadent! They’re also naturally sweetened with honey.

These grain-free and gluten-free chocolate banana muffins are bursting with banana flavor and are super rich and decadent! With a dairy-free option.

When I make muffins, I’m usually able to eat at least three or four before I feel even the slightest bit full. But these chocolate banana muffins are so rich and filling I could hardly do one and a half.

These chocolate banana muffins have a really nice texture! They’re not quite fudgy, but definitely headed that way, which is probably why I couldn’t handle eating several of these at once (it might also have something to do with the large amount of chocolate chips I sprinkled on top :D). So they’re dense, but a nice dense, and have a really nice crumb. And they definitely don’t have that typical grain-free muffin texture! My taste testers thought that these were made with all-purpose flour. To be honest now, my taste testers don’t know a thing about baking, let alone grain-free baking, but I was happy. :D

These Chocolate Banana Muffins are gluten-free, grain-free and dairy-free. Super rich and decadent!

The banana taste is also pretty strong so don’t even think about making these unless the idea of chocolate and banana appeals to you! I was kind of hoping to use up my bananas in these muffins and not have them taste like banana at all, but I’m still really pleased with how they came out. :)

Chocolate Banana Muffins – grain-free, gluten-free and with a dairy-free alternative!

I normally recommend Enjoy Life chocolate chips for dairy-free versions of my chocolate containing recipes, but a commenter let me know that Costco’s Kirkland brand is dairy-free, so that might be a cheaper alternative. They also said that Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips are dairy-free, and while they don’t contain any dairy in their chocolate chips, they’re processed on shared equipment with dairy-containing products. So cross contamination might be an issue for people with allergies.

These Chocolate Banana Muffins are grain-free, gluten-free and dairy-free!

And then another commenter was nice enough to let me know that Costco also carries Honeyville almond flour and coconut flour! I just looked at the product page on Costco, and it’s the same exact price as on Amazon ($8 / lb). So if you need almond flour immediately, get yourself down to Costco. ;)

Grain-free chocolate banana muffins not your thing? Here are some grain-containing chocolate and banana goodies!

Banana Pancakes which happen to be gluten-free, 100% whole grain and dairy-free. But nobody will be able to tell! They taste just like regular amazing banana pancakes! From texanerin.com
Gluten-free + 100% Whole Grain Banana Pancakes
100% Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
100% Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
Nutella Swirl Banana Muffins (100% Whole Grain, Dairy-free)
100% Whole Grain Nutella Swirl Banana Muffins (dairy-free option)

Chocolate Banana Muffins

Chocolate Banana Muffins (grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free)
  • Yield: 12 muffins

• 2 medium super ripe bananas (each banana was 185 grams with the peel and 143 grams without)
  • ⅓ cup (106 grams) honey
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • ¼ cup (56 grams) refined coconut oil, melted1
  • 200 grams (~2 cups but please weigh!) blanched almond flour
  • 3 tablespoons (27 grams) coconut flour
  • ⅓ cup (42 grams) Dutch process cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (180 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips (use Enjoy Life chocolate chips for dairy-free)
  • additional mini chocolate chips for sprinkling, if desired

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a muffin tin with 12 muffin liners.
  2. In a large bowl, mash the bananas with the bottom of a glass. They should almost be like a puree.
  3. Add the honey and vanilla and stir.
  4. Add in the eggs and oil and stir until well combined.
  5. In a medium bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
  6. Stir just until combined and then stir in the chocolate chips.
  7. Spoon the batter into the muffin liners and sprinkle on additional chocolate chips, if desired.
  8. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Be careful not to confuse a melted chocolate chip with the batter.
  9. Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
  10. Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

Notes

1. Use can use unrefined coconut oil if you don't mind a slight coconut taste.

50 comments on “Chocolate Banana Muffins (grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free)” — Add one!

• Cindy
    June 27, 2014 @ 3:45 am

I LOVE these! Awesome recipe!! Thank you!

• Erin replies to Cindy
      July 1, 2014 @ 12:13 pm

So happy that you liked them! Thanks for the feedback and rating. :)

• Kristina says
    June 10, 2014 @ 2:05 pm

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is almond meal the same as almond flour? These look perfect to bake for my coeliac friend’s farewell party!

• Erin replies to Kristina
      June 10, 2014 @ 5:09 pm

Almond meal will work fine here! Almond flour is blanched and ground a little finer but it won’t even be noticeable in these muffins (something like a light and fluffy lemon cake would be a different story). I hope you and your friend will like the muffins! :)

• Megan
    May 23, 2014 @ 9:58 am

WOW! I’m pretty sure I’ll be making these weekly! You’re the BEST! Thanks for sharing this insanely delicious recipe!!!! <3

• Erin replies to Megan
      May 23, 2014 @ 8:51 pm

Aww, thanks so much, Megan! I’m so happy that you liked them! Thanks a ton for the feedback and the rating. :)

• Laura (Tutti Dolci) says
    April 19, 2014 @ 12:53 am

I love anything chocolate and banana, these muffins look great!

• Erin replies to Laura (Tutti Dolci)
      April 19, 2014 @ 2:35 pm

Thanks, Laura! I’ll never forget your super pretty chocolate banana muffins in the blue wrappers. So, so pretty. :)

• courtney
    April 16, 2014 @ 4:12 pm

I have no words for how amazing these were. I love trying new recipes on pinterest and happened to have some browning bananas when I stumbled upon this. I had everything on hand (except i just used unsweetened cocoa powder from trader joes) – it made 12 exactly, i sprinkled in a few large ghirdelli dark chocolate chips.
    WOW seriously one of the greatest muffin recipes i have tried. my boyfriend LOVESSSS them plus I was able to freeze half so i have them for next week. Great as an afternoon snack with my coffee and I don’t need to feel guilty about it- THANK YOU for this recipe :)

• Erin replies to courtney
      April 17, 2014 @ 7:34 pm

Oh, yay! I’m so happy that you enjoyed them! And it’s awesome to know that these freeze well. Thanks a ton for the feedback and the rating! You totally made my day with your review. :)

• Lisa@Mummy Made It says
    April 12, 2014 @ 10:17 pm

These look great. I dint think anyone will be able to tell that they are eating healthy when they devour one of these. Great recipe!

• Heather says
    April 12, 2014 @ 2:23 pm

Used this recipe last night and worked great. Unfortunately didn’t have enough muffin tins so we turned it into one big cake. It was lovely and moist and tasted amazing. Wasn’t able to find the exact ingredients so used ground almonds as almond flour and sweet desiccated coconut as coconut flour and still turned out great. Hard to think it’s healthy too :)

• Erin replies to Heather
      April 12, 2014 @ 7:41 pm

Desiccated coconut instead of coconut flour?! Whoa. That’s awesome. I’m really surprised (and happy!) that that worked. :) So happy to hear that they came out well for you! Thanks so much for the feedback. :)

• Alanna says
    April 9, 2014 @ 3:03 am

Girl, these are insane! That texture! I can’t wait to make them.

• Erin replies to Alanna
      April 9, 2014 @ 7:00 pm

Thank you and I hope you’ll love them! :)

• Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts says
    April 4, 2014 @ 11:38 pm

I need to find coconut flour and pick up some almond flour immediately. These muffins look incredible!

• Jen says
    March 31, 2014 @ 9:20 pm

Do you have a calorie count for each muffin? Thanks…

• Erin replies to Jen
      March 31, 2014 @ 9:22 pm

I intentionally don’t include those (I focus on making healthier choices rather than low calorie / fat / etc.) but you can copy and paste the recipe here for that info, if you like. :)

• Claudia Ellis says
    March 30, 2014 @ 1:41 am

Erin do you think that the almond and coconut flour can be substituted with a gluten free baking flour mix? I’d love to make them but that’s all I have on hand…

• Erin replies to Claudia Ellis
      March 30, 2014 @ 2:46 pm

I’m afraid not. :( GF baking mix and even regular gluten-containing flour is totally different than almond flour and coconut flour and so subbing won’t work. What you could do is check out the whole wheat chocolate banana muffins I linked to in the post and use the GF baking mix for that! That would be a much better alternative than trying with this recipe (though I can’t guarantee it’d work since I haven’t tried it). I hope it works out for you! :)

• Laura Black
    ♥♥♥♥
    March 29, 2014 @ 11:11 pm

I’m really loving you’re dairy free recipes. I would say I’m lactose intolerant, but really it’s more like an allergy. I use a lot of nut milks that we make from scratch. This recipe and the one for the banana pancakes look amazing. They’ll be perfect for dinner tonight for the grandkids. Thanks.

• Erin replies to Laura Black
      March 30, 2014 @ 2:57 pm

I hope that you and the grandkids enjoyed the pancakes! :) And homemade nut milk sounds great. I’ve tried making homemade almond milk but discarding all the leftover almond pulp was just too painful for me. ;)

• Phyllis G Davis says
    March 29, 2014 @ 3:19 am

I decided to attempt to make coconut flour after doing some research. It was quick and simple, now on to making your amazing recipe!

• Erin replies to Phyllis G Davis
      March 29, 2014 @ 5:15 pm

Oooh! I love that you made coconut flour. :) I hope that the muffins came out well!

• Phyllis G Davis says
    March 27, 2014 @ 2:28 am

I have everything but the coconut flour, do you think it will drastically change the muffin to use 3 more tablespoons of almond flour?

• Erin replies to Phyllis G Davis
      March 27, 2014 @ 9:50 am

I’m afraid so. :( Coconut flour and almond flour (or any other type of flour) aren’t interchangeable. Coconut flour absorbs much more liquid than other types of flour, but there’s not really a good conversion system. I also think baked goods made with just almond flour (without the addition of a little coconut flour) come out kind of oily. But that could be personal preference! Sorry I couldn’t be more of a help.

• Phyllis G Davis replies to Erin
        March 27, 2014 @ 4:01 pm

Your words totally make sense. Thanks so much!

• Jennie @themessybakerblog says
    March 26, 2014 @ 2:00 pm

Oh yeah, I love me some banana and chocolate. These muffins look incredibly moist and fudgy. Yum!

• Erin replies to Jennie @themessybakerblog
      March 30, 2014 @ 2:58 pm

Thanks! And yeah. Chocolate + banana. YUM! Now I’m kicking myself I didn’t involve peanut butter somehow. Booo!

• Anna (Hidden Ponies) says
    March 26, 2014 @ 3:07 am

I really need to get a Costco membership. These sound perfect, Erin!

• Erin replies to Anna (Hidden Ponies)
      March 30, 2014 @ 2:58 pm

Haha. Yeah, you do! I loved going there or to Sam’s when I lived in the US. :)

• Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction says
    March 24, 2014 @ 4:47 pm

Love the texture of these! I need to do more baking with almond flour!

• Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) says
    March 24, 2014 @ 4:32 pm

These muffins are utterly fantastic and just plain gorgeous and moist and flavorful and wow!!

• Medeja says
    March 24, 2014 @ 11:50 am

These muffins look so chocolaty and moist! Yummy!

• Erin replies to Medeja
      March 24, 2014 @ 12:05 pm

Thanks, Medeja! And yeah. These are super chocolatey. :D

• Carla says
    March 24, 2014 @ 10:55 am

Erin,

Which coconut oil do you use and how do you know if it is refined or not? I have been using Rapunzel Kokosfett Mild and haven’t noticed a discernible smell or taste with the finished product so I’m guessing it is refined. Have you found one that is actually liquid here in Deutschland? Also, would love to hear if you have any experience with the yeast here.
    Thanks so much, Carla

• Erin replies to Carla
      March 24, 2014 @ 12:17 pm

I use Othuena coconut oil. It’s the kind at Kaiser’s, Rewe, Netto, Kaufland and everywhere else. :) I was pretty sure it said refined somewhere on the package but I can’t find it on there now. If it has absolutely no coconut smell / taste, it’s refined. And as far as I know, coconut oil is always solid at temperatures below 75F. I don’t use German yeast. I tried it several times with American recipes and the loaves (which I now make with American yeast without issue) never rose properly. So I suggest having a friend send you some yeast in the mail. :)

• Carla replies to Erin
        March 25, 2014 @ 9:36 am

Thanks for the info. I was afraid you were going to say that about the yeast. ; [ Didn’t want to wait that long!

• Erin replies to Carla
          March 30, 2014 @ 2:59 pm

No problem! And sorry about the yeast. Baking with American recipes in Germany is just a pain in the butt, isn’t it? :(

• saynotsweetanne says
    March 23, 2014 @ 6:29 pm

Wow, this looks so delicious! Gooey chocolate things are always my favorite :)

• Alyssa (Everyday Maven) says
    March 23, 2014 @ 5:02 pm

Love these, they look really delicious! Great tip about the costco chips – I’ll have to look for those.

• Erin replies to Alyssa (Everyday Maven)
      March 24, 2014 @ 12:25 pm

Thank you! And I hope you can find the chocolate chips. I haven’t tried them myself but the commenter seemed happy with them. :)

March 23, 2014 @ 12:27 pm

I love the look of these – annnnnd love that they’re filling!!

• Erin replies to Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar
      March 23, 2014 @ 3:14 pm

Thanks, Katrina! Same here. It’s just dangerous when you can eat 4 muffins without feeling the slightest change to your hunger. ;)