These 6-ingredient peanut butter protein balls only take a few minutes to throw together and are full of healthful ingredients! Naturally gluten-free, whole grain, dairy-free and with a vegan option.
There’s been enough savory food around here recently. It’s time to get back to sweet treats! I figured I wouldn’t go all out with a super decadent dessert so here’s a healthy snack.
There’s loads of good stuff in these protein balls. Tons of natural peanut butter, raw honey (or brown rice syrup for a vegan option), oats and coconut. And of course, some mini chocolate chips because… why not? ;) By the way, who else loves peanut butter + honey?! It’s one of my favorite combinations.
All you do is dump the ingredients into a bowl and roll the mixture into balls. It’s not an especially sticky mixture so you’ll have to squeeze them together to get the balls to hold together.
I’ve made these a number of times with the exact same ingredients (as in from the same package) and the very small amount of water I needed to add to hold the mixture together varied each time (hence the range in the measurement given). I also discovered that instead of using additional water to bring together the mixture, vanilla extract’s a tasty alternative!
Make sure to use the kind of peanut butter that just contains peanuts and salt. If you use a brand that has added fat and sugar, the recipe likely won’t turn out well. You’d also be adding a ton of fat (and probably not the healthy kind) and sugar!
For a grain-free chocolate version, try these chocolate peanut butter protein balls. If you use cashew butter, then you’ve got youself some paleo protein balls. :)
I haven’t tried today’s recipe with any other nut butters and they’re not always 100% interchangeable so I can’t say for sure if other types would work in these protein bites. So if peanut butter’s not your thing, try these lemon energy bites. They’re my favorite protein balls! They’re so lemony and make me happy.
Peanut Butter Protein Balls (gluten-free, vegan, whole grain, dairy-free)
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready in:
- Yield: 24 1" balls
- 1 cup (256 grams) natural peanut butter (the kind with just peanuts and salt)
- 1/4 cup (80 grams) honey (I used Nature Nate's raw honey) or 1/4 cup brown rice syrup for a vegan version
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (135 grams) rolled oats (use gluten-free oats, if needed)
- 1/2 cup (42 grams) unsweetened shredded coconut
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup (57 grams) mini chocolate chips (use vegan chocolate chips, if needed)
- 2-4 teaspoons water or additional vanilla extract
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the peanut butter, brown rice syrup or honey and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the oats, coconut and salt until well combined and then add the chocolate chips. If the mixture doesn’t hold together well when pinched together, add the additional water or vanilla, a teaspoon at a time until the mixture holds together well when pinched.
- Form 1” balls by pressing about 1 tablespoon of the mixture together.
- Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or refrigerate for 1 week.
Source: My post on Cee – The Blog From Cohen's: Eating for Better Vision