Healthy Peanut Butter Balls (vegan, gluten-free)

These healthy peanut butter balls come together so easily and are perfect for holiday parties! They’re gluten-free, grain-free and vegan.

I can’t believe it’s taken me so long to get up a peanut butter balls recipe! I just had to post them before Christmas for the folks looking for something easy and last-minute to make.

These little things are addictive. I love regular unhealthy peanut butter balls but these are even more delicious.

I have quite a sweet tooth but I think the traditional powdered sugar kind are too sweet. These healthy peanut butter balls are maple-sweetened and aren’t too sweet at all.

I haven’t tried any other sweeteners but I’m guessing another sweetener that works as a maple sub would work out well. Honey might have too strong of a flavor, though.

One thing I really love about these healthy peanut butter balls is how quick and easy they are. They just call for peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut flour, vanilla and salt. And of course chocolate + coconut oil for the coating! That tool above, by the way, is called a chocolate dipping tool, in case you’re wondering. :)

I thought about making a homemade chocolate coating (using cocoa powder and natural sweetener instead of chocolate) but that version would have melted at room temperature, which is no good for holiday parties. And to be honest, it wouldn’t have been as tasty.

These healthy peanut butter balls come together so easily and are perfect for holiday parties! They're gluten-free, grain-free and vegan. An amazing vegan dessert recipe!

For more peanut butter Christmas recipes, try this peanut butter fudge, these gluten-free peanut butter cookies or vegan peanut butter cookies (which are also gluten-free!).

This is it from me for the rest of the year! I’ll be back in January. Merry Christmas to the people who celebrate and to those who don’t, I hope you enjoy the rest of the year. :)

Substitution questions for these healthy peanut butter balls?

• Can I use something instead of peanut butter?

I’ve tried making these with sunflower seed butter for a paleo version but they need a LOT more coconut flour. I’m not sure on the exact amount yet so I’m not listing it in the recipe. But I’ll be posting it at some point!

Because of the huge difference between the two nut / seed butters, I can safely say that every nut butter will require a different amount of coconut flour.

So while you can use whatever type of nut butter you’d like (as long as there’s no added fat or sugar), you’re going to have to experiment with the amount of flour. Start off with the amount of coconut flour listed below and if it’s still liquidy, like the sunflower seed version was using that much flour, add tablespoon by tablespoon until it’s not. Keep in mind that you’ll put the mixture in the freezer a bit to help roll them into balls so the mixture won’t be rollable at this point.

• Can I use something instead of maple syrup?

Honey would probably work if you don’t mind a bit of honey taste. It might make them stickier, though. Agave syrup would probably work, too.

• Can I use something instead of coconut flour?

Unfortunately not. There’s not a good sub for coconut flour as it absorbs so much more liquid than other flours. I’ve heard of people using oat flour (if you can have grains) but I have absolutely no idea how much you’d need to use or if it’d be as tasty.

• Can I use something instead of coconut oil in the chocolate coating?

I think butter (for a dairy-containing version) would work.

If you try these healthy peanut butter balls, I’d love to hear how they come out!

These healthy peanut butter balls come together so easily and are perfect for holiday parties! They're maple-sweetened, grain-free, gluten-free and vegan. So quick and delicious!

Healthy Peanut Butter Balls (vegan, gluten-free)

Healthy Peanut Butter Balls (vegan, gluten-free)
  • Yield: 28

• 1 1/4 cups (320 grams) natural peanut butter (no added fat or sugar)
  • 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup (32 grams) coconut flour
  • 1 1/2 cups (255 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (use vegan chocolate, if needed)
  • 1 tablespoon (14 grams) coconut oil – I used refined for no coconut taste

1. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla and salt until combined. Stir in the coconut flour. Place in the freezer for about 30 minutes. The dough won't get very hard in the freezer - it'll just make it easier to roll into balls. The balls won't be totally firm when you form them but that's okay. They don't need to be totally perfect.
  2. Prepare the coating. Mix together chopped chocolate and coconut oil in a small bowl or pot that can be used to melt the chocolate and dip the balls in.
  3. Shape into about 28 20-gram balls and place on a tray small enough to fit in your freezer. Place them in the freezer to let them firm up more (since rolling with warm hands heats them up quickly).
  4. Dip the balls one at a time into melted chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
  5. Refrigerate for up to a week or freeze for a few months. Can also be kept at room temperature for a few days (if it's not too warm).

19 comments on “Healthy Peanut Butter Balls (vegan, gluten-free)” — Add one!

3 comments are awaiting moderation!

• Melissa says
    February 29, 2020 @ 5:03 am

Do you know the calorie count for one of these? They look delicious and can’t wait to try!

• Erin replies to Melissa
      March 4, 2020 @ 1:30 pm

Hello! I don’t have the calories but you could use this recipe analyzer for the nutritional profile. I hope you’ll enjoy them! :)

• Julie replies to Melissa
      May 29, 2020 @ 1:48 am

I was wondering if al one flour would work

• Jeannine says
    February 29, 2020 @ 3:55 am

These were amazing!! Wondering what the serving size is.

• Erin replies to Jeannine
      March 4, 2020 @ 1:29 pm

I’m so glad you liked them! I don’t list nutritional info so the serving size is whatever you want it to be. I think 2 is a reasonable amount? :)

• Jeannine replies to Erin
        March 10, 2020 @ 2:20 am

Thank you! :)

• Virgilia says
    February 11, 2020 @ 7:06 pm

Hi Erin,
    Do you think it would work to flatten the dough and cut out heart shapes to dip in chocolate for St. Valentine’s Day?

• Erin replies to Virgilia
      February 13, 2020 @ 1:01 pm

Hi there! I’m sorry for just now seeing your question. I love your idea but think you’ll need to really freeze them for a while and / or add more coconut flour to get them firm enough for that. I’d love to hear how it goes!

• Virgilia
        replies to Erin
        March 4, 2020 @ 6:26 pm

I was able to dip the heart shapes in chocolate, however I did use a little extra coconut flour like you suggested and I found it best to take the shapes out of the freezer one at a time to dip them. Otherwise they become soft too fast. Thanks for your help.

• Holly
    January 4, 2020 @ 5:45 pm

Yummmmmmm!!! Just made these for my hubby. They were absolutely decadent and did not taste healthy whatsoever. They remind me of the peanut butter balls are used to make back in the day with powdered sugar.

• Erin replies to Holly
      January 4, 2020 @ 8:29 pm

Ah, just what I love to hear! I’m really glad that they remind you of the regular peanut butter balls with powdered sugar. :) Thanks a bunch for your feedback! I hope your husband left some for you. :)

• Holly
        replies to Erin
        January 7, 2020 @ 5:53 pm

Erin, what tool do you use for dipping? I need to buy the one you’re using in your video and probably a fork looking one too. We dip a lot of different things around here lol. The reviews for the different ones I’m looking at on Amazon are pretty mixed so I’m wondering if you have a brand you prefer that’s done well for you. Thanks in advance!

• Erin replies to Holly
          January 9, 2020 @ 7:42 pm

Check out the paragraph after the second photo. I link to it there (I only included that after the newsletter went out, after someone asked me for the link :)) I hope it’ll work well for you!

• Christine says
    December 28, 2019 @ 8:50 pm

Dear Erin, I hope you had a wonderful Christmas! Wishing you a very nice weekend and a Happy New Year! Love, Christine

• Erin replies to Christine
      December 30, 2019 @ 12:39 pm

Hi Christine! Nice to hear from you. :) Thanks a bunch and same to you. :D

• Terri K. says
    December 24, 2019 @ 1:13 am

Fantastic candy recipe, but I used organic almond butter instead and monk fruit instead of maple syrup.

• Erin replies to Terri K.
      December 30, 2019 @ 12:42 pm

I’m so glad it worked out well for you! What kind of monk fruit did you use? Is there a liquid kind? And what brand? I tried a liquid keto sweetener in these and thought they were awful so I’d like to try your version. :) Thanks for your feedback!

• Terri K.
        replies to Erin
        December 31, 2019 @ 1:33 am

Shalom Erin, I always use “Lakanto golden monk fruit” I like this one the best. I tried the monk fruit in a liquid form but it was terrible and so sweet. I love so many of your recipes & I appreciate you too.

• Erin replies to Terri K.
          January 9, 2020 @ 1:45 pm

Oooh, thank you for letting me know! I actually had my parents bring me some Lakanto Maple-flavored Syrup from the US so I could try out a keto version of these. They were so nasty! I’ll try the golden version next (I luckily also had them bring me some of that!) :) Thanks again.