Homemade Peanut Butter

Homemade peanut butter is the easiest thing ever! You’ll never want to buy store bought again. This homemade natural peanut butter is so much cheaper and tastier!

How to make homemade peanut butter – you only need peanuts and a food processor! You'll never want to buy it again. | texanerin.com

Homemade peanut butter couldn’t be any easier to make. Seriously. You dump peanuts in a food processor and let it go. And I’m sure some of you are shaking your heads at me. She’s posting a recipe for peanut butter? Yup, I am. Because of this conversation:

Student: I make my own peanut butter! I put a stick of butter in the food processor and add some peanuts!

Me: Nooooooo!

So here’s a recipe for homemade peanut butter. :)

How to make homemade peanut butter – you only need peanuts and a food processor! | texanerin.com

I really don’t understand how people can pay $5 or even more for a jar of natural peanut butter. And usually those jars have added fat or sugar or other things you really don’t need to have. This? Just peanuts!

Be sure to use roasted peanuts. Peanuts get most of their flavor from the roasting process, so using raw would result in some subpar boring peanut butter.

If you want to get really fancy, you could use some honey roasted peanuts. That would be mindblowingly awesome. But being as I go through cups of this every week at it is, I’ll have to pass on the honey roasted variety. I can guarantee you I’d sit there with a spoon and eat it all until it was gone. And then cry a little. Because I’d just eaten 43,000 calories worth of peanut butter.

How to make homemade peanut butter – you only need peanuts and a food processor! Super quick, simple and cheap! | texanerin.com

According to this site, homemade peanut butter lasts for 3–6 months in the refrigerator. You can tell if it’s gone bad by a rancid smell. I’ve been making this peanut butter for years and have never had that happen and have never had my oil separate like in the store bought kinds!

I have to admit that in certain recipes, mainly cookies, I don’t like using natural peanut butter. I think that the commercial kind with lots of added fat and sugar (so, the really bad kind) works so much better. But for snacking? Or making raw treats? This homemade peanut butter totally works!

Here are some of my favorite goodies to make with this homemade peanut butter!

Peanut Butter and Jelly Peanut Butter Cups – made healthier! Can be made dairy-free and vegan | texanerin.com
PB&J Peanut Butter Cups
Grain-free Raw Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough – only has 4 ingredients, and is incredibly quick, simple and addicting! | texanerin.com
Raw Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (grain-free)
Gluten-Free Coconut Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars – you won't believe how easy and delicious these are! | texanerin.com
Coconut Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars (gluten-free)

Homemade Peanut Butter

Homemade Peanut Butter
  • Yield: ⅔ cup peanut butter

• 1 cup roasted peanuts (I used salted, but you can use unsalted or honey roasted)
  • salt to taste

1. Dump peanuts in the food processor and process until creamy.Homemade peanut butter - just needs peanuts and a food processor!
  2. For me it took about 4 minutes. In my old food processor it took about 8. First there’ll be ground peanuts, then it’ll start to come together in a ball, then it’ll be a ball, and then the ball will break down into what you see below. Then process it a little more until you’re sure it’s nice and creamy.How to make homemade peanut butter - quick and simple!
  3. Add salt to taste.
  4. Store in the fridge for up to three months. I've forgotten jars of peanut butter that have lasted much longer.

43 comments on “Homemade Peanut Butter” — Add one!

• Grace
    June 14, 2014 @ 4:49 pm

Hi, I buy natural crunchy peanut butter from a health food shop in England which is made from 100% skins on peanuts but it is expensive for a small jar and if it is left for a week the oil and nuts Seperate. I love crunchy peanut butter so to make this crunchy would I just blend half till creamy then just rough blend the other half to have tiny chopped nuts and mix the two together?

• Erin replies to Grace
      June 15, 2014 @ 4:58 pm

Hi, there! That’s a good idea. To make crunchy, measure out about 1/3 or 1/2 cup (or however much you want!) of peanuts, pulse them a few times until they’re your desired size, and then set aside. Make the peanut butter and then stir in the chopped peanuts. I hope you’ll enjoy it! :)

• Melissa H says
    May 12, 2014 @ 7:49 am

Thanks for the recipe. “I can guarantee you I’d sit there with a spoon and eat it all until it was gone. And then cry a little. Because I’d just eaten 43,000 calories worth of peanut butter.” I laughed aloud at that bit.

• Erin replies to Melissa H
      May 19, 2014 @ 9:56 am

You’re welcome! And haha. What can I say? It’s so true. ;)

• Lindsay
    February 17, 2014 @ 1:46 am

Hi Erin, I just needed to comment, to thank you!!! My mind has been absolutely blown by this recipe. Nut butters are so expensive, and now that I know how creamy you can make it at home, I will never buy another nut butter!!!! I have a Cuisinart food processor, and I watched all the stages, the gritty “powder”, the big ball, the store-bought-texture, to the creamier-than-butter. It all took less than ten minutes and wow am I ever impressed! Thank you for inspiring me, and helping me to be even less dependant than expensive store-bought products!!!!!

• Erin replies to Lindsay
      February 17, 2014 @ 8:09 pm

Hi, Lindsay! Thanks for your nice comment. :) It’s so fun to watch people watch nut butter being made (if it’s something they’ve never seen before)! At my last party, we needed some almond butter and so I whipped out the food processor and everyone stood in front of it for 10 minutes while it went through all the stages. Hehe. It was a wild party. ;) I’m so happy that the peanut butter worked out for you! Thanks a bunch for your feedback and the rating! I really appreciate it. :)

• Janelle says
    January 23, 2014 @ 2:19 pm

Where do you get your jars? I really like the one in the pic!

• Erin replies to Janelle
      January 24, 2014 @ 8:33 pm

Thanks! I wish I could help you but I got the jars from a website here in Germany (and shipping to the US would be ridiculously expensive). Sorry! But you know who makes awesomely cute jars? Weck! They’re a German company and their stuff is easy to get in the US. :)

• heather says
    November 27, 2013 @ 5:23 pm

Could I use SunButter Creamy?….I accidentally bought that instead of Natual…

• Erin replies to heather
      November 27, 2013 @ 5:25 pm

This recipe is for homemade peanut butter so I’m a little confused. But I’m just going to assume you got to this page from the chickpea cookie post and if you did, yes, you can use SunButter. ;)

• heather replies to Erin
        November 27, 2013 @ 5:28 pm

That’s exactly what I did! Haha. Thank you!

• Erin replies to heather
          November 27, 2013 @ 5:30 pm

Haha. I had a feeling that’s what had happened. ;) Good luck and enjoy the cookies!

• Anne
    October 26, 2013 @ 2:18 pm

Erin, what setting do you use on the blender? I never know when to crush something or blend it. Then there’s a liquify button too.

• Erin replies to Anne
      October 26, 2013 @ 2:26 pm

I’ve never tried it in a blender. Just a food processor! Do you have a Blendtec or something similar? I’m sure it’d worked in one of those. I just did some googling and other people use their regular blenders to make homemade peanut butter but I know mine could never manage it. I always need a lot of liquid for it to do anything. But to actually answer your question, I’m assuming you’d use the liquify setting. Good luck! :)

• Ally says
    October 21, 2013 @ 3:24 am

i have made my own peanut butter several times but ive never been able to get it creamy like that. its always super thick and gritty. tastes good but not a texture i care for. my fiance would eat it. how do you get it so creamy looking? ive tried blending it longer and adding a little bit of olive oil but nothings worked.

• Erin replies to Ally
      October 21, 2013 @ 9:34 pm

I honestly have no idea why it wouldn’t work if you’re blending it long enough. It only takes me about 3 minutes with my current food processor, and before that one, I had one that was 20 years old and it maybe took 6 minutes. In comparison to Skippy and those types of peanut butter, I could see how you’d find the peanut butter gritty. But mine is always super runny! Are you using a food processor or a blender or immersion blender…? Are your peanuts roasted? If you’re using raw, maybe that could be the reason!

• Tamela says
    October 15, 2013 @ 6:51 am

hey, where do you get your peanuts? are they organic and how much do you pay for them? Do you know how many you need to make a 16 oz jar of peanut butter?

• Erin replies to Tamela
      October 15, 2013 @ 9:37 pm

I live in Germany so I’m afraid I’m not much of a help! I get mine from Aldi, non-organic, and they’re super cheap. Like $2.50 / lb. And to make a 16 oz. jar of peanut butter you’d need exactly 16 ounces of peanuts. :) Good luck!

• Lola says
    October 9, 2013 @ 7:06 pm

Hey – Just stumbled across this recipe. Do you think it would work in a Ninja blender? I haven’t invested in a food processor yet and i am totally anxious to try this. Could it work with almonds too for almond butter..? I love your recipes!

• Erin replies to Lola
      October 9, 2013 @ 7:38 pm

I honestly don’t know a thing about Ninja blenders but just did some research and it appears that yes, you can make both peanut butter and almond butter in them! :) Good luck and thanks for your kind comment!

• Lola replies to Erin
        October 9, 2013 @ 8:53 pm

Haha I guess I could have looked that up myself! Oh well. Thanks for finding it out for me :) I will let you know how it goes..hoping to take a crack at it this weekend!

• Erin replies to Lola
          October 11, 2013 @ 6:47 pm

Haha. No problem! I’m happy to have helped. :)

• astockfo says
    July 27, 2013 @ 5:12 pm

I eat Jiff peanut butter, I spread some butter on one piece of bread then I spread on the peanut butter, I flod it in half and eat it, don’t hate, it’s really good! I eat one everyday. I do love natural chocolate flavored peanut butter as well, but I’ve been having my little Jiff sammie since I was a child.

• Susan
    May 2, 2013 @ 7:08 pm

I’ve been making my own peanut butter and almond butter for a while now – since I discovered how expensive and disgusting-looking commercial almond butter is. It’s easy to make and peanut butter is even easier – much cheaper to make your own peanut butter, too. I think the only reason people need to add oil to either nut butter is lack of patience. The food processor will draw out the oil if you just run it long enough (probably about 10 minutes or a little more). Peanut butter happens so fast that one should never feel a need to add oil. I also never use salt, although the peanut butter could probably use a little.

• Erin replies to Susan
      May 2, 2013 @ 10:27 pm

Yeah. I think you must be right. Peanut butter goes so quickly, even in old and bad food processors. Almond butter can be difficult sometimes but I always roast mine in some maple syrup first and never have a problem. SO good! And I would be lost without my salt in the peanut butter. The peanuts come roasted and salted already and that’s just enough salt for me. :)

• Anonymous says
    January 23, 2013 @ 1:08 am

I don't know if anyone mentioned this because I didn't read all the comments but I make my own peanut butter and you don't have to add the oil! Even healthier!

• Erin replies to Anonymous
      January 23, 2013 @ 8:26 pm

I never use oil either. :) I wrote that in the recipe (that I never add oil) but added the part about others needing it because some people swear up and down that it doesn't work for them without it.

April 16, 2012 @ 10:34 pm

Amanda – Awesome! I'm so happy that you and the others enjoyed it. I think homemade peanut butter is always risky when it comes to feeding others (just because it's so different than the commercial stuff), so I'm actually surprised it got such positive feedback. :) Thanks for leaving feedback. It makes my day when people take the time to do that! :)

• Amanda says
    April 16, 2012 @ 10:23 pm

I made this last night with honey roasted peanuts (thanks for the suggestion!!) and I am now OBSESSED with homemade peanut butter!!! :) I put it in my favorite peanut butter cookies and sent them to work with Kev today. Everyone was raving about them and asking what kind of peanut butter I used! :) Thank you for making this so easy!! :)

January 26, 2012 @ 8:36 pm

Miryam – Thanks!

Wow, you're a bunch of hardcore peanut butter eaters. You should definitely try making this. I imagine it'd be way cheaper and maybe it'll even taste better. Or almond butter! But with lots of cinnamon and stuff because almonds by themselves are not so yummy (in my opinion).

January 24, 2012 @ 6:25 pm

Could you believe I have never made any type of peanut butter, almond butter or any butter for that matter?

The honey roasted peanut butter sounds really good. I know my family would love this because we eat peanut butter by the pounds, not kidding. Every time I buy peanut butter I have to buy at least 3 containers at a time :-)

Great pictures!!

January 23, 2012 @ 4:26 pm

Mercedes – Thanks! But now I'm wondering what it is. I get the cheapest peanut I can find so it's not like I have superior peanuts or something. It must be the food processor!

• Mercedes says
    January 23, 2012 @ 2:10 am

I have tried to make peanut butter a couple of times but mine never gets this smooth! Yours looks so yummy!

January 22, 2012 @ 11:30 am

Nora – I know! It's just nasty. Maybe I should have mentioned that the student was a 45 year old business man. That somehow just makes it worse. Anyway, thanks. :)

Nicole – I think he's the only one to attempt that recipe. Ever. He even said it was *his* recipe. I've never tried hazelnut butter either, but I saw this recipe the other day and it looks good!

Anon – Yeah, get a food processor! But only if you would use it for stuff other than peanut butter. They take up a lot of space! Now, if you're a nut butter addict, it'd be totally worth it and you can ignore the previous statement. :)

I've been thinking about making a post for German Vollkornbrot. The problem is that it'd cost a fortune to make in North America. I've used this recipe before with great results:

But it takes a ton of time, work and money. Almost everything is more expensive in Germany, but the ingredients to make this bread are super cheap. It costs about $2.50 for me to make this recipe but I'm afraid it'd be at least $10 in the US. Maybe I can come up with a version that's cheaper to make, but I don't have a lot of hope for that.

• Anonymous says
    January 22, 2012 @ 2:57 am

oh that does look yummy. wish i had a food processor to make some…. the bread also looks fantastic also – do you have a recipe for that? i always thought it would cost more to make nut butters onself but after your comment to the opposite i will certainly look into it a bit closer. could be a justification for a food processor – right? :)

• Nicole says
    January 22, 2012 @ 2:24 am

Haha, the student's comment cracked me up. I hope that method was never attempted! This one, on the other hand, is great… I love homemade nut butters. I was actually debating earlier today whether to try my hand at homemade hazelnut butter. I've never even tried hazelnut butter before, but I have a bag of the nuts in my cupboard and couldn't help but wonder.

• Nora @ Natural Noshing says
    January 21, 2012 @ 11:34 pm

Hahaha, I laughed when I read the conversation with you and your student – yikes! Butter and peanuts – that's more like a unsweetened peanut buttercream!! :)
    I LOVEEEEEEE peanut butter – I have an addiction and eat it by the spoonful – I love making my own but sometimes I buy the natural kind when I am running low – but like you said it's so easy! and peanut butter and apple is such a fabulous combo :)
    I love the photo of the PB dripping off the side…drool!

January 21, 2012 @ 8:46 pm

Heidi – I don't know about where you live, but it's really SO much cheaper to make it yourself where I am. I'm happy to have provided you with a little reminder. :)

Becca – Good question! I'll add it to the post. Alton Brown says it stays good for two months. I hope you can make it!

Sonia – I just slammed my head on the table. I couldn't believe it. I then explained what peanut butter really is, and his response was, "Well, that's how *I* make *my* peanut butter." Horrifying, isn't it? I look forward to your peanut butter post! I never thought of you as a fancy shmancy food person.

It's so weird. Shouldn't peanuts be peanuts? But you know what, you're right. Yesterday I got some dried blueberries in the mail (they are impossible to get here) and I was SOOO excited. I opened them up and they tasted like nothing. Or the taste that they did have wasn't a nice one. For my peanut butter, I use Trader Joe's peanuts that I get from Aldi. I guess for once I have good ingredients. :)

Could it be your food processor, though? I got a super powerful one about a year ago, but before that I was using one from the former East Germany and I'm pretty sure I had really thick peanut butter too. But maybe you like your peanut butter thick and then it's all good!

• Sonia The Healthy Foodie says
    January 21, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

Actual butter to make peanut butter??? OMG. I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry. I just can't believe this. Thank goodness you set them back on the right track, Erin. Oh my… just imagining this, must be so gross.

Funny you should've posted about this, I was planning on doing the exact same thing next time I make a batch of plain ole peanut butter. You know, I do make that too. Not all my nut butter are fancy shmancy. Too many people think that it's super complicated, when in fact, it's extremely easy and so much cheaper to make at home. Not to mention so much gooder. When you know how to make it though and don't go adding actual butter to it. I'll never get over that one. Thanks for sharing that story with us.

Oh, and one more thing… funny how your peanut butter looks so, erm, runny whereas mine is always so thick. Wait 'til you see it, you'll understand. I think our base ingredients are often extremely different!

• Becca says
    January 21, 2012 @ 2:44 am

I think it would be so cool to make your own peanut butter. I have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every day. How long does it keep in the fridge for?

January 20, 2012 @ 9:53 pm

I love natural peanut butter :D It's amazingly simple to make yourself. I should really do it more often. I'm spoiled because I can buy peanut butter with no added ingredients, but it's probably much cheaper to make my own. Thanks for the reminder!

January 20, 2012 @ 8:22 pm

Amanda – Thanks! What a nice comment. :) I love meeting people with the same food philosophy so I'm happy we found each other. I was having a terrible afternoon and this comment really cheered me up. Thank you so much.

My problem is that I absolutely love peanut butter with junk added. Not to eat on bread, but for baking. I just used some of this peanut butter to make some chocolate peanut butter candy that I'll post in a few weeks. And it's actually pretty good! But natural peanut butter in pie or cookies? The junky peanut butter just tastes so much better! I really wish I hated the stuff. Hopefully my taste will change. :)

• Amanda @ Thinly Sliced Cucumber says
    January 20, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

Love this! Your blog is so inspiring to me. I feel like you have a similar cooking and baking philosophy as I do and I love coming here to check out what delicious and healthy dish you've whipped up this time. I have a big issue with peanut butter that has junk added to it so this post really spoke to me. I think that most people don't realize how simple it is to make your own. Thanks for posting!