Chocolate Avocado Smoothie (vegan, dairy-free option)

This healthy chocolate avocado smoothie is super quick, simple and ultra creamy! Doesn’t taste a bit like avocados and can also be made as pudding. Naturally gluten-free with paleo, vegan and dairy-free options.

This healthy chocolate avocado smoothie is super quick, simple and ultra creamy! Doesn't taste a bit like avocados and can also be made as pudding {naturally gluten-free, paleo, with vegan + dairy-free options}

So for about 6 weeks, no matter where I went shopping, all I could find were rock hard, awful, turned-rotten-before-ripening avocados. As soon as the good ones returned, I just had to go and buy six of them. A few days later and, “Oh… I have a lot of ripe avocados that need to be used immediately. Whoops.” But it didn’t turn out to be a problem because I just love throwing avocados into random things. It’s an art form that I’m continually trying to master. ;)

About a year ago, I was extremely dubious of this whole avocado in sweets thing. I thought those people eating avocado pudding were a bit daft, to put it quite nicely, but they had just seen the light before I had. Avocados in smoothies and desserts just works. If you haven’t tried it, you definitely should!

This healthy chocolate avocado smoothie is quick, simple and ultra creamy! Doesn't taste a bit like avocados and can also be made as pudding {naturally gluten-free with paleo, vegan + dairy-free options}

I’ve been making a lot of smoothies lately, and always with frozen berries. They’re just so cheap and it’s a quick way to get in a few servings of fruit. But I’ve started to get sick of them and that’s why I just had to come up with something different. I wanted something chocolatey. And with banana. I am allergic to bananas but recently I’ve discovered that I can eat some and not others. It’s incredibly odd. But I like this banana allergy rebellion thing. It’s fun. :)

This healthy chocolate avocado smoothie is super quick, simple and ultra creamy! Doesn't taste a bit like avocados and can also be made as pudding {naturally gluten-free and with paleo, dairy-free + vegan options}

This chocolate avocado smoothie is almost on the verge of being pudding. Actually, if you want pudding, just leave out the milk. And if you want this more liquidy like smoothies normally are, just add more milk and it’ll be thinner.

I sometimes see smoothie recipes with ice called for, but I never use it in my smoothies because I don’t like my smoothies icy. I like them like slightly runny yogurt. And creamy! This is super creamy with a banana and half an avocado in it. You can leave out the banana and have it just chocolate and avocado, but the problem with this is that you need a lot more added sugar to make up for the banana. Those suckers are just full of natural sweetness!

Oh, and you can’t taste the avocado in this. It’s all chocolate. And banana. I found it sweet enough without any added sweetener at all, but you can add honey or any other sweetener if you want. But the way the recipe is, I feel like I’m eating dessert when I’m actually eating something that’s completely guilt-free and totally healthy. Yes, a chocolate milkshake is tastier, but for those times when you don’t feel like consuming 500 calories and loads of sugar and unhealthy fat, there’s this. :)

By the way, I have some other avocado smoothie recipes. I guess you could say I love avocado in my smoothies.

Banana Orange Avocado Smoothie |
Banana Orange Avocado Smoothie
Raspberry Banana Avocado Smoothie |
Raspberry Banana Avocado Smoothie

Chocolate Avocado Smoothie

Chocolate Avocado Smoothie (vegan, dairy-free option)
  • Yield: 1 large smoothie

• 85 grams cold avocado flesh (~ 1/2 Hass avocado)
  • 2 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 1 medium cold banana (mine was 120 grams without the peel)
  • 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (or coconut milk yogurt for vegan, dairy-free, paleo)
  • 2-4 tablespoons milk, optional (omit for vegan, dairy-free, paleo or use coconut milk)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Blend everything together in a food processor (or a blender if you have a very good one - mine requires too much liquid for a thick smoothie like this) until it's very creamy. Add more milk until it's the desired thickness.
  2. Serve immediately or keep covered in the refrigerator for up to one day.

Recipe by  |

148 comments on “Chocolate Avocado Smoothie (vegan, dairy-free option)” — Add one!

• Carla says
    August 10, 2015 @ 6:05 pm

This was delicious! It would solve any chocolate craving. I threw some chia seeds in as well to give it a bit of protein boost. Thanks for the recipe!

• Erin replies to Carla
      August 11, 2015 @ 10:28 am

Adding chia seeds is a great idea! Thanks for the tip and for the feedback. :)

• Cara says
    February 27, 2015 @ 9:00 pm

We don’t like bananas so I put in 2 big dates. Very tasty! xoxo C

• Erin replies to Cara
      March 1, 2015 @ 2:48 pm

That’s great that it came out without the bananas! Very good to know. Thanks for the feedback. :)

• Krista says
    February 26, 2015 @ 12:50 pm

It was really great, thanks for the recipe! I think it works with any kind of cacao powder, just have to make sure it’s healthy enough! :)

• Erin replies to Krista
      March 1, 2015 @ 1:41 pm

I’m sure it would, too! I just like the dark chocolaty-ness that the Dutch-process adds. :) Thanks so much for your feedback!

• Marcia Sawatzky
    November 14, 2014 @ 7:53 pm

These recipes will be such a blessing when I have surgery on my esophagus next month. I will have to be on a liquid diet for a week and a soft food diet for another. It was that week of having a liquid diet that was a cause of concern. The dietician recommended lots of jello, pudding and ice cream, etc. I felt like I had a sugar-high just reading the list of allowed foods. The only healthy options offered chicken broth, yogurt and lots of milk….sigh.

Yes, I will need to tweak things just bit with some of these recipes. I will strain the orange juice for the Orange Banana Smoothie and substitute a wee bit of orange extract for the orange zest. The raspberries will also need to be strained for the Raspberry Smoothie. But those are easy adjustments. The Chocolate Avocado Smoothie is good to go as it is. And it is SO delicious!

Upon researching nutritional info, it was delightful to find that the avocado will bring some much needed protein and fiber into what was a nutritional abyss.

Thanks so much for being some food-joy (and nutrition!) to my life at a time when it could have been kind of hard. :)

• Erin replies to Marcia Sawatzky
      November 15, 2014 @ 7:32 pm

That diet sounds like it’d be fun for a day and then even I would get sick of all the sugar. :( I’m so happy that you’ve found these recipes so that you can have something with a little nutrition for that first week! I like your ideas on making the smoothies liquid diet okay. :) Thank you so much for your very kind comment and I wish you a successful surgery and a super quick recovery!

• Laurel Smith says
    September 11, 2014 @ 6:18 pm

Love this smoothie!! It’s become a very frequent afternoon treat for me. :)

• Erin replies to Laurel Smith
      September 13, 2014 @ 9:28 pm

I’m so happy that you like it! Thanks for the feedback. :)

• Sindy
    September 4, 2014 @ 6:47 am

I always eat avocados in sweet things. It’s really common to eat them that way in my home country. In fact it’s a little bit weird to eat them in savoury things for us. There are a lot of restaurants in my country selling “jus alpokat” which means avocado juice. No banana and milk are included. Just avocado, sugar, water, and ice. Usually we add liquid coconut/palm sugar or chocolate sauce on top of it. It’s really yummy. Sometimes we chunk the avocados, add the liquid coconut sugar, then just eat them that way. Sometimes we mix them in our tradisional sweet dessert. So this is not a new thing for us actually :). I’m happy that you also like it.

• Erin replies to Sindy
      September 4, 2014 @ 4:24 pm

That juice sounds good! And I didn’t even know that liquid coconut sugar was a thing. Thanks for the tip! The only way I’ll eat avocados is in sweets. I don’t like the flavor so sugar and cocoa powder help cover up the taste. ;) Thanks so much for your comment!

• Angie W.
    August 13, 2014 @ 4:30 pm

What is the importance of using DUTCH Cocoa? Can i use regular Hershey’s or is it not the same??

• Erin replies to Angie W.
      August 13, 2014 @ 4:34 pm

Dutch-process isn’t necessary here but it’s the only cocoa powder I have access to so it’s just what I always list. Regular Hershey’s will work here. It won’t be as dark or chocolate-y but it’ll work. ;) There’s some more info on Dutch-process cocoa powder here if you’re interested! While it’s not important for this recipe, it does amazing things for baked goodies.

• Heather sprunger says
    June 5, 2014 @ 10:58 pm

Hey! I was going to make this and then freeze it into Popsicle molds. Do you have experience with freezing avacados? Do they stay somewhat soft (similar to bananas? My goal is to make it like a fudgesicle!

• Erin replies to Heather sprunger
      June 6, 2014 @ 9:18 am

Yup! Try my chocolate avocado popsicles. It’s basically this smoothie in popsicle form. :) Avocados freeze well and they’re similar to bananas when frozen! Hope you’ll enjoy the popsicles. :)

• Cara
    April 25, 2014 @ 12:09 pm

Kind of in love with this idea! I think I would mash the avocado and freeze it into ice cubes to make it super cold. Thank you for the recipe!

• Erin replies to Cara
      April 25, 2014 @ 12:13 pm

Love that idea! Avocado freezes great so I’m sure that’d come out really well. Hope you’ll enjoy the smoothie! :)

• Lauren says
    April 4, 2014 @ 10:57 am

Hi, what are the nutritional facts for this smoothie partially? But even all of them? Thank you.

• Erin replies to Lauren
      April 4, 2014 @ 7:20 pm

Hi there! I intentionally don’t include the nutritional info (I focus on making healthier choices rather than low calorie / fat / etc.) but you can copy and paste the recipe here for that info, if you like. :)

• Stephanie says
    March 15, 2014 @ 2:07 am

Just made this tonight and loved it! I used whipped creamy cottage cheese instead of yogurtand it turned out like pudding! So, I served it with a little whipped cream as dessert!

• Erin replies to Stephanie
      March 16, 2014 @ 8:26 pm

That sounds amazing! I’d never heard of whipped creamy cottage cheese. Interesting! Thanks so much for the tip and the feedback. :) So happy that you liked it!

• Angie says
    February 22, 2014 @ 4:08 am

LOVE that I found your site…One question on the Smoothies, anything I could use to replace the yogurt? Cant have the dairy. Thank you

• Erin replies to Angie
      February 23, 2014 @ 10:21 am

Sorry for my slow reply, Angie! You could just leave it out (it’ll still be quite thick) but I recommend finding So Delicious Dairy-free Greek yogurt. They have it using almond milk and coconut milk! It’s really the only good sub I’ve found for yogurt. I hope you can find some! :)

• Suzy Pugh says
    February 17, 2014 @ 4:48 pm

Hi, I lie the look & sound of your smoothies, especially the chocolate one! However I too have an allergy to bananas & therefor have had to miss out on some very nice smoothies. How did you come to realise you could eat certain bananas & is it a particular one please. I need to be very specific as my allergy so far does not in any way tolerate even the slightest hint of banana.
    Thank you for any help you can give me. It would make my day to be able to drink one of your smoothies.

• Erin replies to Suzy Pugh
      February 17, 2014 @ 7:47 pm

I’m afraid there’s no specific type of banana I can eat. It sounds like my banana allergy isn’t nearly as serious as yours. So up until recently, eating bananas would make my throat and ears (or rather, the inside of my ears?) really itchy, give me a drippy throat, and sometimes it’d develop into something like a little cold (without the coughing). Why I can eat bananas now I have no idea. But every now and then, I’ll eat one and have the same weird reaction. The next day, I’ll eat another from the same “batch” of bananas and not have the problem. Have you tried avocados? They’re great for smoothies! But I’ve heard that people who are allergic to bananas are often allergic to avocados. :( So sorry I couldn’t help more! I totally get how bad a banana allergy is when you want to eat healthy. Very frustrating and annoying!

• Margaret Haynes replies to Erin
        July 28, 2014 @ 9:38 pm

Have you tried organic bananas?

• Erin replies to Margaret Haynes
          July 29, 2014 @ 12:22 pm

I actually haven’t. I’ll pick some up next time I’m at the store! Thanks for the idea. :)

• sandi
    February 17, 2014 @ 4:17 am

This was great. Thanks. I froze a few whole bananas and I just “shot” it out of the peel. (squeezed, lol)

• Erin replies to sandi
      February 17, 2014 @ 7:54 pm

Hehehe. Shooting bananas sounds fun! :D So happy that you liked the smoothie. Thanks a ton for the feedback and the rating!

• Signe Andersen
    February 10, 2014 @ 11:05 am

This looks great! Fortunately, I have all the ingredients, so I’m gonna make this for lunch. I’m lactose intolerant, so I’m substituting Greek yoghurt for soy yoghurt and the milk for soy milk. Do you think it’ll still work?
    Love xx

• Erin replies to Signe Andersen
      February 10, 2014 @ 1:39 pm

Thanks, Signe! It should still work. It’ll be just a little thinner but the smoothie so thick I don’t think you’ll notice. I hope you’ll enjoy it! :)

• Angela says
    January 14, 2014 @ 9:18 pm

After sitting here on the computer looking through your recipes, I am excited to try a whole bunch. I love that you have gluten/grain free ones on here. I discovered I now need to be pretty much gluten free for different reasons, but all your stuff is fun and yummy. Not to mention, I have several children and I think they are going to enjoy some of it too. Tonight, we are going to try your peanut butter dough bites. If I can tomorrow, I am going to try these avocado smoothies. Way yum!!! What I like best about you is that you make me laugh. I love to laugh. And your writing is enjoyable to read. I also like what you said about the cookie dough bites and being self control challenged. Perhaps when I need to work on my self control, i will make them (hahaha…good reason, right?) maybe i will need to make them every couple hours…j/k. but haha. And avocado is a FRUIT??? who knew. dumb dumb dottie. bummer. oh well. it will taste yummy, i’m sure. Thank you for taking the time to write all your yummy stuff and post pretty photos. I appreciate it and now I should get going. However, i might have some self control issues, b/c i don’t know if i can stop bopping around here on your blog. :)

• Erin replies to Angela
      January 14, 2014 @ 10:40 pm

Hi Angela! I’m happy you found the blog. :) I hope that you and your children will love the recipes! And thanks for your comment about me making you laugh. That’s actually the first time anyone has said that on here! I hope that you get a chance to make the avocado smoothie and that it’ll come out well. And haha… I love you for saying that you need to make cookie dough bites to work on your self control! :D

And yeah, I would have never figured avocado as a fruit! But I guess it doesn’t matter because they’re so very healthy. By the way, I just answered your comment on the brownies post! Thank you for your very nice comment. It made my day. :D

• Cari says
    January 10, 2014 @ 4:50 am

I thought this was really yummy! Mine looked lighter than yours. Reminded me of chocolate mousse. My daughter thought it was too bitter. My husband thought it tasted like vegetables. More for me!

• Erin replies to Cari
      January 10, 2014 @ 10:41 am

I can see bitter if you didn’t add a lot of sweetener but vegetables? Haha. Well, like you said, more for you! :) I’m so happy that you liked it. Thanks a ton for the feedback!

• Susan from Scottsdale says
    December 29, 2013 @ 9:14 pm

Hi Erin,
    I just got a whole bunch of bananas and I freeze them too but WITHOUT the peel. Just put them in a container and scoop out what you want when you make your smoothies. I’ll go back to the store and pick up the avocados. I love to try anything chocolate on your site. YUMMO! Thanks for the healthy idea for bananas, avocados and chocolate. Sounds great!
    Happy (almost) New Year! Susan/AZ/USA

• Erin replies to Susan from Scottsdale
      December 29, 2013 @ 9:29 pm

Hi Susan! I freeze my bananas without the peel, too. It’s just so easy! I’m interested in trying Sharon’s way, though. I hope you’ll enjoy this smoothie! Thanks and happy almost New Year to you, too! :)

• sharon says
    December 28, 2013 @ 3:32 pm

I just freeze my bananas whole in the peel — then when you defrost you have a lovely sweet liquid with the banana flesh that helps to sweeten recipes — I can have absolutely no sugars (I have too much insulin) but I can use banana or applesauce in my baking with no adverse reaction — love your recipes.

• Erin replies to sharon
      December 28, 2013 @ 10:07 pm

I love that idea! My only problem with freezing whole bananas is that I like the banana to be slightly frozen when I put it in my smoothie. And it’s just too hard to peel them that way! But I’ll definitely keep your tip in mind when I have bananas that I need to freeze that aren’t for smoothies. Thanks a bunch! :)

• sharon replies to Erin
        December 29, 2013 @ 3:13 am

no problem Erin — just defrost as you would normally in the microwave until still slightly frozen and peel — works great — ps love your tip about freezing my avocados — did not know you could freeze them

• Erin replies to sharon
          December 29, 2013 @ 9:22 pm

Ooh, great idea! Thanks. :) And yup, freezing avocados (just the flesh!) works wonders. I’m the master of buying oodles of avocados when they’re on sale and then they all start to ripen all at the same time and then I’m in a panic. So they all go in the freezer! I only use them in my smoothies and they’re perfect for that. :)

• Jackie says
    September 11, 2013 @ 2:49 am

This came out grt, it was a little bitter for my taste so I sweetens it with clover honey. Delish!

• Erin replies to Jackie
      September 16, 2013 @ 9:52 pm

Honey sounds great! Thanks for the feedback. :)

• Donna replies to Erin
        August 29, 2014 @ 12:18 am

I just tried this and it was delicious. I added a little unsweetened almond milk the recipe. I also added honey as it was a little “bitter” to me as well. Very good. Thank you!

• Erin replies to Donna
          September 1, 2014 @ 10:26 pm

I’m happy it came out well! And you can never go wrong with honey. ;) Thanks so much for your feedback!